Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It was inevitable.  (Read 2994 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
It was inevitable.
« on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:14 pm »

Why am I getting this response again when I kill a megabeast? I thought this bug was fixed why the hell is it in the game again!  >:( How do I spread my reputation now?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:04:33 pm by UselessMcMiner »
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: It was inevitable.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 05:58:31 pm »

I thiiiiink you still get the reputation boost. Ask the NPC what he/she thinks of you, see if you're considered legendary?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 06:20:36 pm »

Yes, you should still get the reputation boost. The "It was inevitable" doesn't quite mean that an NPC doesn't care; they just don't have a particularly strong emotional response to the news. It's more or less the "rational/disinterested" option - they still recognize your deeds, but they're not overwhelmed by them.

Standard conversation in such cases:
   You: Not one day ago I slew [dragon's name].
   Urist McNPC: [your name] slew [dragon's name]. It was inevitable.
   You: What do you think of me?
   Urist McNPC: You are a legendary hero. You bravely put an end to [dragon's name]. You are also a killer. You ended the days of [dragon's name].
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 06:21:16 pm »

Nope not legendary. Are dwarven fortresses bugged or something?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 07:05:39 pm »

It definitely works now, my last adventurer received recognition across an entire human kingdom, though maybe dwarf fortresses are different for whatever reason.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »

Yeah it seems to work for towns. Even modded towns. Or at least hamlets. Huh weird!

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 08:49:59 pm »

On another note Townspeople seem to succesfully give you reputation. Downside is that the halfling town is being raided by zombie giant polar bears which are impossible to kill! I keep hacking at their necks with axes and it just hits muscle! What should I do?

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 09:11:55 pm »

Well I lured the beast over to the market and a hoard of merchants and guards descended on it and killed it. Joined up with the speardwarf who let me join her because I was such a legendary hero! So fame still works I guess. Although I've lost another arm. Honestly spiderpeople seem overrated. But this is my modded race so maybe the vanilla ones are different.

Obsidian 1053

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 05:25:18 am »

would say that the rep system is mostly working but uhh not allseeing, npcs all have their own memory banks on what went down and personal history which when you're wandering around talking to complete strangers like town peasants who don't really have families you end up with attempting to give someone who has no idea what animals are, no idea who is who, and limited to no info on the current events asking them troubles pulls from I haven't checked deeply but some old DF pull of info and the user's list of info on events but them bringing up the event first might not be saved to their memory until you bring it up first.
like it's possible to have someone be dead and no one knows of it and still talk about them being still alive until someone tells them otherwise, so far this opens up to potential of rumors of someone's death to spread chaos if one figure out away to write down an event rumor that pins the death of someone on someone else thus branding them a killer's rep and sparking a cascade.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 10:23:03 am »

I've also had good success spreading rep by telling stories (in the 'k' > performance menu) of my exploits. Works well in taverns, since many people can hear it at once, as opposed to one-on-one conversation. It has some quirks: notably, your adventurer might not "know" any stories about the beast you killed, or about yourself; instead, I usually tell a story about the site I killed the beast in -- cave, lair, shrine, etc. -- which properly records the deed.

I'm not sure if it's possible to gain reputation with a whole civilization -- in my experience it only works on the site-government level.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 08:11:33 pm »

I find if reputation spread seems to get "stuck" for whatever reason, fast travelling away from town then coming back can kick-start things.

Come to think of it, last time I had to do that (a few versions ago) was in a dwarf fortress. Mayor refused to acknowledge he'd witnessed my masterful dancing until I left and came back. Then he made me an official entertainer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:13:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 05:38:16 pm »

[I AM ONCE AGAIN AFFLICTED BY THE ACCURSED DOUBLE POST]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:43:11 pm by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »

On another note Townspeople seem to succesfully give you reputation. Downside is that the halfling town is being raided by zombie giant polar bears which are impossible to kill! I keep hacking at their necks with axes and it just hits muscle! What should I do?
Use blunt weapons on their heads, or flee.

Personally, I like to hack at legs (of all creatures, not just zombies, but it should also work with zombies): prone enemies are at a huge disadvantage, and also I relish slowly dismembering my enemies as they helplessly crawl away.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:44:04 pm by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 02:39:41 pm »

for some reason some wandering soldiers keep following me from a close distance, about one or 2 squares away. I tried to lead 18 drunken dwarves to take a necro tower to see what I was dealing with, almost all of them died except 2. the zombies apparently wandered a bit cause those same guys that were following me recruited a horse who I mangled for kicking in one of my lungs, and some zombies. well the horse and half the people died, one of the guys who lived only did so cause he dodged into a pond he couldn't get out of. so while he was drowning I asked how he was feeling, he was fine, drowning but fine. so I ask if there's any troubles? not one of them was drowning lol. so I went on my merry way. this is in the  version before this one for posterity. I did not know they could recruit random stuff that would normally be hostile towards them. It was inevitable.