Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shelter from the Bogeymen  (Read 7602 times)

JPapas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shelter from the Bogeymen
« on: March 18, 2019, 04:05:24 am »

I'm sure I read this somewhere that I've since lost, but what are the minimum requirements to qualify as being "in shelter" to make bogeymen vanish?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Shelter from the Bogeymen
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:10:59 am »

I'm fairly sure anything that counts as "inside" is enough.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:19 am »

Learn to make worlds. Go advanced and disable bogeymen.
I think you just need one roof tile to be inside.

JPapas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 04:23:34 am »

I thought I'd set bogeyman types to zero but apparently a mistake was made.

So building my own camp, getting under a built floor tile adjacent to a wall should do the trick?

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 05:18:51 am »

Maybe it works like that. I never have to worry because bogeymen are the results of a developer who doesn't play his own game

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 05:20:20 am »

Actually after checking, it turns out you have to be in a building, standing under a floor won't work. And from what I understand they do have to be worldgen structures like town buildings. But bogyemen won't attack you in lairs either. Maybe camps are off limits to them at all. Requires more science. But honestly, traveling with companions solves the problem.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

JPapas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:28:40 am »

My companions have been mysteriously vanishing or wandering off. Playing a flying adventurer probably doesn't help...

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 05:30:32 am »

My companions have been mysteriously vanishing or wandering off. Playing a flying adventurer probably doesn't help...

Npcs are like dogs. They do have a tendency to chase anything they see.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:07:18 am »

Boogeymen attack lone adventurers during night in camp area too. Companions will not save you, as they need to run back to you. So make sure you never end any tree cutting after sunset. In camp you need wall with ramp and floor serving as roof and so long you stand under such roof under night length, you should be safe from boogeymen. Not from other night creatures though. There best would be to build with 3-1-3 walls a corner to vanish from night creatures sight, but you could still end as some troll's food. :)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 07:17:18 am »

a good counter for trolls is a micro bunker with fortification entrance/exit to jump out of/in(also playing a character that lets you jump would be helpful for this set up)
if you do end up in an encounter you could just jump into the bunker and just wait it out or take potshots at who ever trying to kill you.
or if you end up waiting and got ambush in the bunker you can then jump out and anyone who dare ambush you will now be trapped in the bunker,

ps. if you get the weird idea of playing a bogeyman you pretty much need a companion or a shelter as accidentally causing the cackling will be certain death. since any means of ending it will instant kill the bogieplayer and the surrounding bogeymen, it's pretty much a challenge mode if one entity raw edit one to be playable.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:22:35 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:53 pm »

I never got attacked by boogeymen in adventure, the first adventure I died from drowning, second adventure I died from ant men, and am on my third adventure now. I played as a type of intelligent animal. Do boogeymen not attack intelligent animals or am I just really lucky?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 09:14:17 pm »

I never got attacked by boogeymen in adventure, the first adventure I died from drowning, second adventure I died from ant men, and am on my third adventure now. I played as a type of intelligent animal. Do boogeymen not attack intelligent animals or am I just really lucky?
if you are playing a spider-person or a barkscorpion person you get docile bogeymen on the account of those two animalpeople have nofear in their raws which is needed to stop aggro from bogeymen. this doesn't stop them from retaliating if you strike them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 04:00:17 pm »

if you are playing a spider-person or a barkscorpion person you get docile bogeymen on the account of those two animalpeople have nofear in their raws which is needed to stop aggro from bogeymen. this doesn't stop them from retaliating if you strike them.

I played as a worm person and a peach faced lovebird person, and my current adventurer is an armadillo person. Thank you for the information

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 08:48:26 pm »

Of course I get killed by a boogeyman for the first time after posting this

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 01:08:58 pm »

Of course I get killed by a boogeyman for the first time after posting this

The answer is you got really lucky. Generally, travelling with at least one companion or setting up camps is one way to go. Really, there should be an option to pitch a tent, but there isn't except for the armies that travel around now.

Edit: I believe one way to avoid the bogeymen issue might be to not fast travel or rest when outside, and travelling alone. For Claspedbowels (or rather, the world that is in), that will become a necessity as there are going to be some ocean-swims. I've done it in  previous versions, where I left an island with an elven civilization to reach human settlements.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:10:35 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2 3