Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A fan-made Dwarf Fortress trailer ?  (Read 3405 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: A fan-made Dwarf Fortress trailer ?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 11:16:20 am »

Actually, even the default graphics could still have visual appeal. Watching the trees come into bloom in the spring, perhaps, or spectating as a squad takes apart some captured goblins in the pitting chamber, or micromanaging a Miner's careful breach of a volcano to feed your magma industries.

But DF's real strength is in the stories. I see the trailer as being mostly audio, of users orally relating very brief sound bites of some of the more awesome/funny/ridiculous things that have happened to them, or just facts about the game in general.

"Dwarf Fortress is the only game where you can stab someone in the pancreas, perform surgery on a pancreas, and then cook & eat pancreas."

"So, somehow, my duke able to fit his entire head--with helmet--inside a goblin's mouth, and bite out one of the goblin's back teeth."

"Do you always look at it encoded?"
"Well, you have to, the game's still in alpha. Me, I-I don't even see the code. I just see Horse, Carpenter, magnetite . . . "

"This moving blob of purple is miasma, the stench of a decaying corpse. Look, see, the dwarves that had to walk nearby are annoyed & disgusted by it."

"Yeah, I've made plenty of mugs for my dwarves to drink from, but most of them get ignored--everyone wants to drink using the artifact mug."

"And then there's that time that a Miner fell in love with a guy, during the act of beating him to death . . . "

"Say, what's that green stuff over there? Grass? It wasn't there before."
"No, that's, uh . . . vomit. Yeah, that's dwarf vomit."
"That's disgusting. Tell me more."
etc.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

muleet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 08:48:36 pm »

Talking about DF's stories is a great idea SixOfSpades ! And, to my experience, most non-DF players may think the game is cool but are afraid the game is too difficult to start (they think you have to read complex and boring documentation while playing, during like 20 hours) so the stories of those players may talk a little about the wiki or other ressources too. While trying to be fun, just like it was done in that famous comic : https://i.imgur.com/cr08kRL.png

About Kruggsmash or any other videomaker, I don't know but I suggest that till the feasability of the videomaking (and its whole process) is unclear, we could continue to give ideas here and see how they work together, so it would then be easier for a videomaker to start an enthusiastic project.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 02:39:35 pm »

L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 05:16:40 pm »

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:08 am »

Thanks
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 [2]