Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Mewgenics - Cats! SCIENCE?! Adventure!.....The cats came back 10 years later.  (Read 27177 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

It sold in the past so obviously every previous owner will rebuy it.

This is exactly what I thought with the BoI remake. And look what happened then....

/cynical
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I finally caved and preordered BoI: Rebirth because I saw a bunch of added content. I liked Super Meat Boy, but I can't imagine what a remake could offer that the original (+ level editor) couldn't, and I really can't imagine wanting to play it on a tablet. Pretty disappointed to hear this.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It sold in the past so obviously every previous owner will rebuy it.

Maybe it's low-hanging fruit. Not enjoying the gameplay of SMB, I don't see it. But if it has anywhere near BoI's cult following, I'm sure it seemed like an obvious choice.

From what I've heard, SMB was the most their most financially successful game so far.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Ho-lee shit.

Remember this fuckin thing? From...*checks thread* 10 goddamn years ago?!

It rises, again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gng92nAVJVE

And some of the guys from Red Letter Media are doing voice overs for it, that's how I found out.

So uh......meow?!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:00:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, Edmund has made some progress on this apparently.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/686060/Mewgenics/

Release Date: 2024. Looking good so far.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mewgenics - Crazy Cat Lady Simulator from Team Meat
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2023, 03:51:17 am »

FINALLY! EEEEEHEHEHEHE~

I'm just going to repeat the first response in this thread... from over a decade ago.

I had to stare at the art for far too long and dig deep into the barren wastelands of my mind to remember what the art style was from, too.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"this is 1 cat, this is 100 cats" :D

whoa 10 years+, cool that this cat game idea didnt get shelved and now actually gets to be a game \o/ that looks neat and interesting.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've read up on this now......

The game has shifted pretty significantly from its original design.

Before it was really just a sandbox cat breeding simulator. You had a house, filled it with cats, bred them, mutated them and then sent them out to do mini-games. There were some NPCs to interact with, and according to McMillen, the end goal was basically just earning money to buy furniture for your house. And, of course, appreciate your kitties.

They realized they needed to tighten up the game so it was more of an actual game and less "every idea we had."

After several iterations, they settled on a Final Fantasy Tactics-style turn-based battler.

So now, the shape of the game is thus:

You have a house. You have some kitties. Those kitties have RPG stats, classes, equipment, abilities, they level up and they can die.

Days are passed at your home by having your kitties eat food. And you send a party of 4 kitties on adventures to acquire more food. The game is broken up into "Chapters" much like Binding of Issac. So each run is finite in its length. There's random events and NPCs and other things to break up the battles as well, so it's not completely one note.

After your kitties go on a few adventures they get old and are no longer able to go out. But you can breed them together to birth a new generation of "better" kitties to continue the adventure until you reach the last chapter.

There's a lot of skill, positioning and action synergy in the battlescape, where it appears most of the recent development effort has gone toward.

NGL, I actually kinda wanted a sandbox game about breeding cats more than I wanted a roguelike with turn-based battles. But what they've done so far looks really good. There are over 400 abilities and items and they claim there will be even more by release, surpassing the Binding of Isaac in total counts of "stuff." I'm sure there's a lot of recycled ideas by McMillen there, but he's never made something I didn't like so I'm not complaining too much. I'm sure as the months go on I'll find a deeper appreciation of the new format.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I have to say, I'd enjoy my cats more if I could send them out in in teams of 4 to acquire more food, instead of having to feed them every day.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mewgenics - Cats! SCIENCE?! Adventure!.....The cats came back 10 years later.
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2023, 07:07:38 pm »

Checked up on this as it's been a few months. They have consistently put out Steam updates explaining game systems in greater detail, along with plenty of animated gifs from the game. If you wanna know more about how it's all shaping up, there's plenty of reading material on the Steam store page.

They're currently detailing out the 6 classes your cats can be. There's all sorts of combo potential presented in the class abilities and descriptions. It's the kind of game where every class has a basic attack that can be used once a turn, but then many abilities and a big mana pool to use for tons of things. The kind of game where you get to do a lot of stuff on each cat's turn until they run out of mana or abilities to use.

There's 50 active abilities and 25 passives per class. I feel like that # on paper seems more impressive than it truly is, where you're picturing 450 abilities in Binding of Isaac. However when you divide it up by class it becomes a more manageable and less awe-inspiring amount of content. That said, the handful they've shown so far seem like they've had thought put into them. One magic attack for example is special in that it uses no Mana, can only be used once per battle and hits everything on the screen. But every time you use it that cat develops a permanent mental disorder.

If there's that level of novelty put into even half the abilities, it should make for a really fun time not only finding them but comboing them together. It's kind of the natural evolution of Isaac and the whole "throw things together and see what happens" gameplay design. Where in that game you had one character with all these interactions stacked on each other, now you have multiple characters and their interactions can interact with each other!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 07:28:41 pm by nenjin »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mewgenics - Cats! SCIENCE?! Adventure!.....The cats came back 10 years later.
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2023, 12:19:54 pm »

Hmm. I was kinda bummed out with the trpg genre change. Because I hate the movement in big trpg maps.

But looking at the screenshots it looks like the maps will be small.

Now I'm interested in it yet again.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]