Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why would a caravan guard path into my fort to kill the last adult standing?  (Read 877 times)

Elsharra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm playing version 44.12, with PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack. 

A trader caravan's guard pathed into my fortress, straight to my last remaining adult, and killed her.  I'm trying to figure out why.

Back story:
After finally clearing up a werebeast spiral (werelizards), I had about 5 non-infected adults left, and one werelizard sealed into a 1 square oubliette.  They were.... less than happy, with most of them beaten and bloody and non-ambulatory or in repeated temper tantrums.  Tried to make one a doc, and he threw a tantrum and attacked the wrong guy and got his head caved in.  I thought I was done, and was looking through the stress levels of the dwarves left.   I had one uninjured dwarf, who seemed to think everything was peachy keen.  Likot Sarveshozor (Furnacesubtle)  Thoughts were all bad, but had this one stat "Impervious to the effects of stress" and seemed pleased as punch.  I made a new armor set for her "wear whatever the hell you want, and pick your own weapon".  Then I tagged the constructed wall holding the werelizard at bay to be deconstructed.  He came out and started attacking some dorfs and got his butt kicked before making it to Likot.  A crazed peasant did attack Likot at the same time, but she shot him in the head with her steel crossbow and bizmuth bronze bolts.

I had her get to work making coffins (we needed around 200 of them).  She was working slow in the cluttered carpenter's shop.  A human spearman petitioned to join, and I put him in the guard.   Ghosts showed up and scared Likot into just standing still.  Then the elves decided to declare war and sent ambushers.  I tried to send my 2 unit army, but she didn't move.  Just stood there on the carpenter's shop.   The spearman got whupped.  I thought I was done,when YAY the dwarven trading caravan arrived.  The guards started kicking elf butt.  One of them (Edem Bitecrafts) started killing all my turkeys.  And cats.   And children.   And Likot.   And.. well, everything except one infected kid who was in a dead end, blocked by a ghost.

So... what the heck happened?  I've heard of loyalty cascades and loyalist vs separatist vs renegades from the Wiki.   I was hoping to  understand, so I exported the legends (dfhack, quicksave, open-legends (click yes in Dwarf Fortress), exportlegends all, die).  I used the packager to compress the files and store it in a separate folder.  I reviewed the records to see if Likot had left the civ or the fort, or was in any way identified as a loyalist, separatist, or renegade.  Nope.  Maybe the Edem Bitecrafts was part of a goblin or elf civ?  Nope.

My civ:
Meng Abod - The Lash of Striking
My gov:
Ortekkud - The Large Pick
My fort:
Kalosust - Metaltame

Likot's Info:
The Lash of Striking (Member)
The Large Pick of The Lash of Striking (Member)
The Large Pick of The Lash of Striking (Former Position Noble 256-256)
The Large Pick of The Lash of Striking (Former Position Noble, 256-256)

0251-08-09 In 251, midautumn, (9th of Sandstone) Likot became a member of  The Lash of Striking. add hf entity link
0251-08-09 In 251, midautumn, (9th of Sandstone) Likot became a member of The Large Pick. add hf entity link
0256-05-11 In 256, midsummer, (11th of Malachite) Likot became the Mayor of The Large Pick. add hf entity link
0256-05-11 In 256, midsummer, (11th of Malachite) Likot became the Captain of the Guard of The Large Pick. add hf entity link
0256-07-18 In 256, early autumn, (18th of Limestone) Likot , slain by the dwarf Edem Bitecrafts the Ordered Yearling in Metaltame. hf died

Edem's Civ:
The White Land-Glove of The Lash of Striking (Member), same civ as me, but different fort.

I've not tried to take over any other sites militarily.

Anyone have any clue how to figure out what was going on here?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

...Overly complex loyalty cascade ?

Elsharra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

You're probably right.  Based on behavior, I'd guess she was a separatist because she still was attempting to make furniture (following orders) and was attacked by guards loyal to the civ.  Do you know if the loss of loyalty to a civ or the fort is documented somehow, maybe in legends?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

You're probably right.  Based on behavior, I'd guess she was a separatist because she still was attempting to make furniture (following orders) and was attacked by guards loyal to the civ.  Do you know if the loss of loyalty to a civ or the fort is documented somehow, maybe in legends?

No. I haven't had big loyalty cascades myself. I just usually quit if I get those tbh - but if you want to have additional FUN, then go for it.