Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing dwarfs from cleaning  (Read 1862 times)

Near

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Preventing dwarfs from cleaning
« on: March 18, 2019, 02:45:20 pm »

So i was gettng tired of a gigant cave spider coming up, killing 5 civilian dwarfs, and then wipping out half of the military on the dangerous caves. So i created a new fortress, and focused all efforts on mining a big bell-shaped cave for trees to grow there. Dwarfs could do anything there without the need for going outside or going into the dangerous caves full of forgetten beasts and gigant cave spiders. Almost all dwarfs became miners, then almost all became pump operators in order to bring water to the floor of the artificial cave to bring sapplings and mud for trees to grow... I was just making the final touches to the artificial cave, when dwarfs started cleaning all the mud. If this continues to be like that, trees are never going to grow, and the military incompetent dwarfs are going to be helpless from any invasion. All our leaders really dislike military doings, so that is not an option. Any suggetions on stopping dwarfs from cleaning that place aside from disabling cleaning on all dwarfs?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing dwarfs from cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 02:52:56 pm »

The cleaning task is (or was) at the very bottom of the list of job duties, but starts as checked for all dwarves.

The easier solution (with fewer problems caused by not cleaning all of the blood, vomit, vermin corpses, and other messes in a fort) is to create your plant area in sand or other soil. Although that doesn't work until you open the caverns at least once (and continues even after you wall them back up).

Otherwise, lock the door before pumping in the water, and don't let them in until the mud has done its job.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 04:05:24 pm »

Do burrow restrictions prevent dwarves from cleaning? You could make sure the only dwarves allowed to take jobs there have cleaning disabled.

Of course, this means you have to maintain a huge burrow over the rest of the embark with everyone assigned to it. I really wish we had inverse burrows.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:07:05 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 05:11:43 pm »

Odd, as I didn't think dorfs did clean away mud (they've never done that with the mud forming from any of my many fortresses' aquifer piercings). If the mud is laced with contaminants such as blood, they may presumably clean that away, and possibly take the mud with it, though.