Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs with multiple deities - religious needs not satisfied after praying  (Read 1712 times)

Alatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a longer pause I started playing again and got two dwarfs in my (still small) fortress that are acting strange:

Just recently I built two temples as a start for my dwarfs to let the pray. But two of them are now spending all of their time (the last two month) in the temple. When examining their status with "Dwarf therapist" I can see these religious messages:
dwarf_1: "rapture after communing with a deity (2x), worry after being unable to pray for too long".
dwarf_2: "wonder after communing with a deity (2x), frustration after being unable to pray for too long".

Both dwarfs have two deities in their relationship list.

Looks a bit strange to me. The first message seems to indicate, they were successful in praying. The second message tells the opposite.

What's going on here? My search for "dwarfs only praying" showed me this bug: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9324 - but it should be fixed.

How can I get rid of "unable to pray for too long"? Do dwarfs with multiple deities spend more time praying?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

1. DT probably just lists every recent thought (like the in game screen does) even when one thought is the direct counter of the other.
2. There is at least one issue with some dwarves needing a temple dedicated to their specific deity before they can pray so that might also be the case.

For what it's worth, my experience is that dwarves do tend to spend a lot of their time praying so what you have might be just normal/"working as intended" behavior.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Make sure you note the difference between a recent thought and a recent remembering of an old thought/event.
- As far as I understand, the amount of praying needed by a dorf depends on the strength of the religious fervor. Thus, I think a dorf who's a dubious worshiper of a dozen gods may require less worshiping than one who's has a burning devotion to one.
- For whatever reason, it's still not uncommon for dorfs to keep worshiping gods for which the needs are fulfilled, while having serious deficiencies with other gods (as well as deciding to read/hang out in the tavern even when those needs are fulfilled [to the extent they can, as they're incompetent when it comes to gaining friends] rather than pray).