Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Lets brainstorm a little bit - What could new Steam players use in a mod?  (Read 24177 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

I just saw that someone mentioned adding minerals.  I've had many thoughts about this over the years, so I'll share them. 

In general, I like having cool metals/minerals, but I hate having cluttered menus.  So my approach is to add fun new metals, but remove a lot of the useless alloys, like billon and rose gold. 

Here's a list I made one time:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171244.msg7798766#msg7798766

Also, there's a RimWorld mod I like which adds some very useful metals.  I don't know if they would exactly work in DF mechanics, but I like this approach to coming up with fantasy metals. 

(RW steel is incredibly common, so when I say "steel" imagine "iron" instead)

Neo-concrete/Neocrete:  Rocks are ground into rock-powder, then a small amount of steel is added.  This results in a building material that is almost as sturdy as steel, but much cheaper to produce. 
Eftam:  Supposedly a steel/silicon alloy.  Weaker than steel, but extends your supply of metals. 
Tisnite:  An extra hard metal that is stronger than steel, in terms of durability.
Phasarium:  A "healing" metal, reduces risk of infection and speeds up recovery time when resting in a Phasarium bed.  For DF, Phasarium jewelry might have these effects when worn. 
Simerium:  A workshop metal, workshops made of Simerium will finish jobs faster. 
Traimat:  "Training material", things made of Traimat take an extra long time to build, increasing the skill gain for working with it. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:47:12 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Not the rose gold! How am I supposed to pimp out my nobles quarters without it?!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

Not the rose gold! How am I supposed to pimp out my nobles quarters without it?!

With gold gold. 

Or Irogane. 

Or Neutronium. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

How disgustingly not-pink!

I dunno if I would cut anything tbh. Or make it a separate option. I would however make a short reference document listing everything and it's purposes, though. And if you organize the raws properly, you can have the inorganics appear in order of usefulness/value, so the ones players would want to use most often show up on top when you go into the smeltery.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree with AceSV. I'm expecting Steam DF mods to be very similar to Rimworld mods. A lot of QoL improvements, items, races/entities, and a little bit of flavor here and there. Simple additions to tickle either the common player's or a niche's fancy, y'know?
Improvements to and replacements for some animal people, interesting races, weapons from real life and fiction, monsters from fiction and folklore, etc etc.

People like seeing a lot of cool stuff but they don't like being overwhelmed. That's why, I think, new buildings or even more minerals (without removing a bunch) won't be appealing to new Steam players.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:20:46 pm by SomeKindOfGnome »
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

And if you organize the raws properly, you can have the inorganics appear in order of usefulness/value, so the ones players would want to use most often show up on top when you go into the smeltery.

Mm, yes-- solid quality-of-life tweak. I'd appreciate this.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Customizable starting dorfs. I've wanted this forever. Currently been rerolling for 6 hours and trying to mod the game to start with scenario I like. When I do get a dwarf with good stats there is always some terrible flaw in their personality that doesn't fit the roles. Starting dwarfs with boosted stats even would be sufficient. Agility and sociable skills ...*Cries* I might be too picky or even cheaty but that would make the game fun. This is the most popular Rimworld Mod.

Proudbucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets brainstorm a little bit - What could new Steam players use in a mod?
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2019, 10:59:11 pm »

I will speak as a new player and say that the most needed thing is to ease the interaction with the game. I think that should take priority over adding mages, quests, more minerals or new races. Dwarf fortress has so many options that new players gets lost, information is not available or is hidden in a lot of data. The basic problem is that, as a new player one is unable to give proper commands or interact with the world appropriately.

Here are some proposals:

1) In-game information
It would be incredibly useful if one could select any item, unit or building with "k" and see mechanical effects and options to interact, kind of an in-game concise encyclopedia.

As an example:
"Elephant corpse"
"This is the corpse of a paquiderm, an enormous and terrible beast with tough rubbery leather and a couple intimidating tusks."
> The corpse can be stored at a refuse pile (p+r)
> Meat can be extracted at the butcher's shop (b+w+u)
> Bones can be used at the craftswarf's shop (b+w+r)
> Leather can be extracted at the tanner's shop (b+w+n)
> If not consumed, the meat will rot producing noxious miasma

All this might seem obvious for an experienced player but for new people like me it is now obvious the options that one has. How is one suppoused to know, for example, that one can capture, tame and milk a kangaroo (!?).

2) Simplify the interface
Too many disorganized commands create a daunting impression for inexperienced people. Cleaning the clutter is desirable.
Divide the option box that shows the commands into different areas:
1- one box for commands to build stuff or set  activity areas at the top (d,b,p,i).
2- one box for commands to check stuff (k,q,v,z).
3- one last box with one command "*: display other commands".
Gray out options that you cannot use (e.g. build a bed if you don't have one)

3) Change the way stairs are made
It is very unintuitive to think that to travel down one needs to dig a down stair and then an up stair.
To connect with a lower z level it should be enough to ask for down stairs, they break the floor.
To connect with an upper z level it should be enough to ask for up stairs, they break the roof.

4) Simplify the trade depot.
I have received 6-7 caravans in what I have played and I'm yet to understand how it works.
Set it in a way that is similar to how one chooses the items before embarking:
"You have bad standing with the elves"
"you have X credits with the elves"
> Buy?
> Sell?
> Oder?

5) Consistency
Somehow "k" works to observe in fortress mode but in adventure mode "l" serves that function... that is weird.
Connecting this topic, a good description of interactions and game effects for adventure mode (as in suggestion 1) would be appreciated.

6) Consistency
Some areas are set by selecting two corners while others are set on a piece of furniture and enlarged with UMKH... I'd suggest that the second method can be replaced by the first. There can be rooms without beds or meeting halls without tables although both areas work better if they have the appropriate furniture.

After all these suggestions I'd actually argue that patching holes in the game via mods or other programs is just a temporary solution... the base game should have those holes covered (e.g. the game should have dwarf therapist included).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2019, 05:57:03 am »

5 is an interesting, simple, doable idea just by modifying keybinds. There are already few commonly done, such as keybinds for laptop, numpad for navigation with 5/0 for z-level tarversal, or smaller ones like Delete key over 'r'emove for manager orders.

As it is a simple text file, it's well within the capabilities of steam workshop. Good idea.

As for the rest, unless Toady One makes UI moddable, they are impossible without (and possible with) dfhack. Also, I can't imagine Toady One will include possibility for things like 2 (simplify) without including them themselves.

In regards to point 1 (Information), there is minor capability for this with reaction descriptions, but that's only for non-hardcoded reactions. Items with
MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT, such as clay boulders and iron bars, also list reactions that use these, but that's somewhat rare. Dfhack also adds some small descriptions.

In summary, I'd say this is "more (moddable) descriptions".

(Also, the example being incomplete makes it somewhat amusing self-demonstrating example.)

In regards to point 3 (stairs), I would want the option to still have just one. There are use cases for having just downstairs (walkable drainage) or upstairs (growing grass only). Either automatically added designation or automatically dug would be doable, with the first one being slightly easier (I guess).

In regards to point 4 (trade), this change would be less of an UI change and more of a game mod. Currently, trade runs on unequal barter based on the internal value of goods and the haggling skills, requests and willingness of participants.

Overall, I think it would be prudent to make a post in suggestions forum if you want to include these in base game, though check whether something has been suggested first - I know more consistency in interface isn't uncommon.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2019, 05:47:39 pm »

I will speak as a new player and say that the most needed thing is to ease the interaction with the game. I think that should take priority over adding mages, quests, more minerals or new races. Dwarf fortress has so many options that new players gets lost, information is not available or is hidden in a lot of data. The basic problem is that, as a new player one is unable to give proper commands or interact with the world appropriately.

Here are some proposals:

1) In-game information
It would be incredibly useful if one could select any item, unit or building with "k" and see mechanical effects and options to interact, kind of an in-game concise encyclopedia.

As an example:
"Elephant corpse"
"This is the corpse of a paquiderm, an enormous and terrible beast with tough rubbery leather and a couple intimidating tusks."
> The corpse can be stored at a refuse pile (p+r)
> Meat can be extracted at the butcher's shop (b+w+u)
> Bones can be used at the craftswarf's shop (b+w+r)
> Leather can be extracted at the tanner's shop (b+w+n)
> If not consumed, the meat will rot producing noxious miasma

All this might seem obvious for an experienced player but for new people like me it is now obvious the options that one has. How is one suppoused to know, for example, that one can capture, tame and milk a kangaroo (!?).

2) Simplify the interface
Too many disorganized commands create a daunting impression for inexperienced people. Cleaning the clutter is desirable.
Divide the option box that shows the commands into different areas:
1- one box for commands to build stuff or set  activity areas at the top (d,b,p,i).
2- one box for commands to check stuff (k,q,v,z).
3- one last box with one command "*: display other commands".
Gray out options that you cannot use (e.g. build a bed if you don't have one)

3) Change the way stairs are made
It is very unintuitive to think that to travel down one needs to dig a down stair and then an up stair.
To connect with a lower z level it should be enough to ask for down stairs, they break the floor.
To connect with an upper z level it should be enough to ask for up stairs, they break the roof.

4) Simplify the trade depot.
I have received 6-7 caravans in what I have played and I'm yet to understand how it works.
Set it in a way that is similar to how one chooses the items before embarking:
"You have bad standing with the elves"
"you have X credits with the elves"
> Buy?
> Sell?
> Oder?

5) Consistency
Somehow "k" works to observe in fortress mode but in adventure mode "l" serves that function... that is weird.
Connecting this topic, a good description of interactions and game effects for adventure mode (as in suggestion 1) would be appreciated.

6) Consistency
Some areas are set by selecting two corners while others are set on a piece of furniture and enlarged with UMKH... I'd suggest that the second method can be replaced by the first. There can be rooms without beds or meeting halls without tables although both areas work better if they have the appropriate furniture.

After all these suggestions I'd actually argue that patching holes in the game via mods or other programs is just a temporary solution... the base game should have those holes covered (e.g. the game should have dwarf therapist included).
UI overhaul is a major part of the pre-Steam release development arc. So not only would it be a waste of time hacking something together for the release (and really complicated too) it would just end up confusing for new players. What does this give me over vanilla, besides having to add instability and install Dfhack?

I mean, if you want to go ahead and try just for fun, go ahead. But, I think this thread was started to find out what kind of mods new players would like right away when Steam DF hits.

Info on next development phase:
https://www.pcgamer.com/tutorials-and-mouse-support-could-make-dwarf-fortress-on-steam-vastly-easier-to-play/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:51:10 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2019, 06:48:43 pm »

I agree with AceSV. I'm expecting Steam DF mods to be very similar to Rimworld mods. A lot of... ...races/entities..., and...

What sort of race/entity mods would be good for a Steam release?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2019, 03:55:08 pm »

That's a question that's kinda up to personal taste. I think the five vanilla entities are plenty for new players to keep track of in learning the game without becoming overwhelming or too boring.

Dwarves could use fewer common domestic animals and a few unique underground critters, I guess. The fact that humans are the only entity that has the pouch tool to carry stuff like coins is weird. I think it's actually beneficial to gameplay when dealing with them if kobolds are able to speak (you can keep utterances with can_speak and they'll still have the silly kobold names.)

I will speak as a new player and say that the most needed thing is to ease the interaction with the game...

While those guys are right that there's nothing we can do with most of these for now, these should totally be brought up to Toady One, say in the suggestions forum, so he has a better idea what parts of the interface need more work and what new users like you want to see. I've been playing for over a decade, some of this stuff I wouldnt even think of because it's all second nature to me.
I make Spellcrafts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2019, 06:55:56 pm »

That's a question that's kinda up to personal taste. I think the five vanilla entities are plenty for new players to keep track of in learning the game without becoming overwhelming or too boring.

Dwarves could use fewer common domestic animals and a few unique underground critters, I guess. The fact that humans are the only entity that has the pouch tool to carry stuff like coins is weird.
I would honestly be very surprised if Workshop mods that cut things from the game are more popular with new Steam players than "Orcs!", "Blunderbuss!" and other such mods that actually add stuff to the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2019, 07:32:30 pm »

Yeah, I've got just a ton of races/entities lying around for nice piecemeal release as soon as the workshop's out. Obv. they'll get released otherwise, but releasing mini-mods was a total PITA before.

Proudbucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2019, 08:59:03 pm »

While those guys are right that there's nothing we can do with most of these for now, these should totally be brought up to Toady One, say in the suggestions forum, so he has a better idea what parts of the interface need more work and what new users like you want to see. I've been playing for over a decade, some of this stuff I wouldn't even think of because it's all second nature to me.

Yeah... these might not be things that the game allows to mod right now, it doesn't mean that the game couldn't allow the interface to be modded.
That would allow people to experiment in the same way as they do with tilesets do and lift that load from Toady. But yeah... for now this might not be for mods.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5