Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Lets brainstorm a little bit - What could new Steam players use in a mod?  (Read 24191 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets brainstorm a little bit - What could new Steam players use in a mod?
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 11:04:44 pm »

I'd like to be able to filter out any inappropriate items for trade partners. IE, wood for elves, just a- Press X to hide items containing wood option.  It's not fun to lose trade opportunities because you can't inspect every item.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2019, 12:49:09 am »

I'd like to be able to filter out any inappropriate items for trade partners. IE, wood for elves, just a- Press X to hide items containing wood option.  It's not fun to lose trade opportunities because you can't inspect every item.
And, is that possible with mods?
If not, you're better off suggesting it as part of the scheduled UI update.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 02:23:00 pm »

I want a mod that provides easy data entry that allows me to create or update a race make it available in a new world-gen. 

Phase 1. Create race X, a duplicate of race A. 
Phase 2. Modify text descriptions for race X. 
Phase 3. Modify traits race X while providing available options for other races. 
Phase 4. Modify stats of race X. 
Phase 5. Modify technology (workshops, reactions, weapons).
Phase 6. Add or modify noble positions of race X. 

Here's my thoughts. 
I am familiar with playing dwarfs. 
But then I want to play in a themed world like Westeros from Game of Thrones. 

So (phase 1), can I play humans (race Starks), differs from race Dwarf in the same world.  I want a mod that lets me create this, so a world-gen shows up civ Start and civ Dwarf. 

Next iteration (phase 2), I want to edit some descriptions of the Starks.  It's mostly text flavor changes, and I want to edit all of it in one area. 

In Phase 3, if possible I want the Starks to prefer cold biomes, is that possible?  I am thinking how dwarf needing alcohol.  What other "traits" are there that I can update and change for the Starks?  Or at least no cave adapt sickness. 

For Phase 4, I've seen the raws for stat ranges.  I'd like a better UI to modify and tweak those stats, if possible. 

Ooh yeah, phase 5.  If I want the Starks to have access to direwolf domestic pets and war trainable.  Or give them 2-handed swords also.  Maybe no camel for pack animals.  Lots of possible options here, maybe break it into different phases of mods. 

Phase 6.  I've read somewhere about noble positions.  It's like a UI to easily define these for the Starks. 

I'm sure there are more.  Because I do not plan to stop at the Starks, as there are other houses in the Westeros world. 

Likewise, there are plenty of other themes and inspirations that this can do. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 06:45:26 pm »

All that's possible with simple raw modding, but it's not really possible to do at runtime, i.e. using in-game stuff.

lonewined

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2019, 10:55:47 pm »

I agree with greater customization of starting dwarves in fortress mode, it's a great idea! Other than potentially making things easier on new players, it could also allow particular story setups, like embark with a team of badass warrior ladies, or a pair of parents with a few adopted children seeking a better life, or a group of followers of one particular god that want to start a temple. Awesome all around! And whoever manages to make it possible to also set relationships between those dwarves (e.g. marriages, parents-children, etc.) will forever have my gratitude.

I'd throw in also greater freedom of customization in adventure mode. I ran into lack of those options myself when I was a beginner in adventure mode and it felt terribly limiting and frustrating to me:
- an option to start the adventurer as ANY race + civilization combination even if a given civ doesn't have members from a given race (e.g. elf starting from a dwarf civ),
- making it possible to be a a member of a dead civilization,
- being able to pick any site of any civ from a proper list as a spawn instead of relying on randomization button,
- being able to pick a god to follow from any civ, or even to worship a megabeast (especially with the planned expansion on religion and magic, this would be potentially a VERY desirable option to have),
- etc.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 07:33:14 am »

All of those would need dfhack.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2019, 09:56:29 pm »

The Fortress Defense Mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0

In terms of number of hours played, definitely one of my favorite mods.  For players that have gotten a little bored with the basic play loop and are looking for a challenge, Fortress Defense mod is a valuable addition to gameplay.  In vanilla gameplay, Goblin sieges get more numerous, but not fundamentally qualitatively harder or more interesting.  In addition, it can be unpredictable how many goblins you might get.  Conversely, Forgotten beasts can be unpredictable in the level of danger they present and HFS requires either dirty tricks or a very well equipped and well trained military.  Fortress Defense mod creates a smooth linear sequence of challenge with at first easy enemies, followed by tougher/harder enemies, followed by enemies with increasingly nasty tricks and abilities.  A new player who has gotten down the basics of the game but find the standard combat options boring and/or too much RNG might enjoy this mod.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

MaXMC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2020, 04:12:42 am »

Simplified materials.

All different kinds of meat become just Meat.
All different kinds of leather become just Leather.
All different kinds of cloth becomes just Cloth.

It just makes things much much easier.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2020, 04:54:55 pm »

Hugo has some resources for that already:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably not easy to make other mods compatible with it especially if they have a lot of creatures, but should be possible. Havent actually looked at it yet.

One small change i like to add is changing skin to a meat or other item so larger creatures drop more of them, combined with a tanning reaction that takes several (5 i've been using iirc) chunks of skins and turns them into a single leather item. Get more out of the tanning industry from larger creatures, but not too much, and smaller creatures' skins can still be combined up into a usable leather.

You can also eat skins and preserve them in a food stockpile if theyre a meat item, which while considered weird and gross is technically not unrealistic because you can totally eat an animal's skin. I mean, dwarves also make "biscuits" out of nothing but lard, too, so its not super weird for them to chew on skins as well..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:56:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]