Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Lets brainstorm a little bit - What could new Steam players use in a mod?

<< < (14/14)

Fleeting Frames:
All of those would need dfhack.

Scruiser:
The Fortress Defense Mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0

In terms of number of hours played, definitely one of my favorite mods.  For players that have gotten a little bored with the basic play loop and are looking for a challenge, Fortress Defense mod is a valuable addition to gameplay.  In vanilla gameplay, Goblin sieges get more numerous, but not fundamentally qualitatively harder or more interesting.  In addition, it can be unpredictable how many goblins you might get.  Conversely, Forgotten beasts can be unpredictable in the level of danger they present and HFS requires either dirty tricks or a very well equipped and well trained military.  Fortress Defense mod creates a smooth linear sequence of challenge with at first easy enemies, followed by tougher/harder enemies, followed by enemies with increasingly nasty tricks and abilities.  A new player who has gotten down the basics of the game but find the standard combat options boring and/or too much RNG might enjoy this mod.

MaXMC:
Simplified materials.

All different kinds of meat become just Meat.
All different kinds of leather become just Leather.
All different kinds of cloth becomes just Cloth.

It just makes things much much easier.

Eric Blank:
Hugo has some resources for that already:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--- Quote from: Hugo_The_Dwarf on January 17, 2020, 03:38:07 pm ---I think it's just a general speedup because there isn't as much bloat. Since everything is loaded into memory, and most likely arrays when stuff like temp, damage, combat stuff Needs to be calculated it has a huge list of SKIN, BONE, MUSCLE, FAT, LEATHER, THREAD, etc to go through to get the numbers it needs to do the math.

But if you cut that down it makes the game able to function at a faster pace. Not only that but the smaller lists help too (why be able to trade/order/see in stocks 500+ types of something, that is functionally all the same? barring stuff like IMP and DRAGON stuff since they are *fireproof*)

Even if one leather is the same as the rest (mostly) it's more for fluff like, hey I'm wearing kitten socks, instead of I'm wearing soft leather socks.

People like myself don't care about what i'm wearing (the fine details, just what type I am wearing and what does it do, stats) I know for creatures I've created a "General Material Framework" (I have a really ugly HTML doc for what files are what, what CVs do what, and a quick copy. If used right you can very easy use a COPY and REPLACE sections of creatures with the desired CV that'd give them the generic materials) which is really just a series of Creature Variations that more or less manually define tissues but use the material from another creature

EDIT:

Some basic files are added with the GMF for things like PUS, and BLOOD which there are CVs that will make use of those. But if you wanted you can easily just reference what I have in the GMF and learn from and make your own version as you see that you need. Or just use what you think you need from it as you see fit

--- End quote ---

Probably not easy to make other mods compatible with it especially if they have a lot of creatures, but should be possible. Havent actually looked at it yet.

One small change i like to add is changing skin to a meat or other item so larger creatures drop more of them, combined with a tanning reaction that takes several (5 i've been using iirc) chunks of skins and turns them into a single leather item. Get more out of the tanning industry from larger creatures, but not too much, and smaller creatures' skins can still be combined up into a usable leather.

You can also eat skins and preserve them in a food stockpile if theyre a meat item, which while considered weird and gross is technically not unrealistic because you can totally eat an animal's skin. I mean, dwarves also make "biscuits" out of nothing but lard, too, so its not super weird for them to chew on skins as well..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version