Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Log] The Fortress of Fatetombs  (Read 3128 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Log] The Fortress of Fatetombs
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 09:13:16 pm »

So I had an idea. I'm going to make those silver axes to trade to the caravans come autumn, but I want to get as much bang for my buck as possible. I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to decorate these axes as much as possible using this image. You see, dwarves tend to like certain things. Among them are mountains and anvils, and possibly giant cave spiders. I might be shooting myself in the foot with that last one but I'm willing to gamble that more dwarves like them than don't. To start with I'll be studding them with lead, then probably move on to encrusting them with jewels. We'll see how it works out.

It's time I started expanding into some new industries. We have both sand and clay in this biome so I want to see what I can get out of glass and pottery. I think I'm going to try using the glass to make some weapon traps. No, they won't be optimal but weapon traps using serrated glass discs have worked well enough for me in the past.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 11:30:46 pm »

See, this is why I try to stay on good terms with the elves. They always bring some of the most interesting animals to trade. They're not always terribly useful, but if I can get a mating pair of giant pandas or giant groundhogs they could eventually make for a good first line defense against creatures that can trap-avoid. If I can war-train them, even better.

I traded a couple of silver axes for the animals and a couple of forgotten beast silk bagpipes, because who wouldn't?

Just for fun I had Zuglar, the werepanda, engrave something in his eternal prison. I must admit I got just a little misty eyed when I saw that it was the local government symbol. Even after all he has been through, being ravaged by a werepanda, rejected by his people, and locked away and forgotten like some rabid dog that you just can't bring yourself to put down, he still considers himself a member of the community. Maybe some day I'll figure out a way to make him useful again, or at least more comfortable.

This happened in Vodstakud as well. I'm not entirely sure what it is that's killing them, but it always happens in the tavern and since there's no combat report I can only assume it's alcohol poisoning. I know that's a thing but I've never actually seen it before starting this world.

I got what appears to be my last migrant wave, a single miller dwarf by the name of Geshud Echocloistered. No combat skills but she's a decent poet and dancer so I'll make her another entertainer in The Eater of Uniting.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 02:33:48 am »

Another fairly bland artifact animal trap. Pig bone and pig iron. Quality stuff there, Lorbam.

I had to slaughter that giant panda. Apparently they have to eat bamboo to stay alive and I didn't feel like fighting a losing battle trying to find ways to keep it alive.

Another one bites the dust. Found next to a pile of vomit. Definitely alcohol poisoning. I suppose there are worse ways to go.

Another migrant arrived, I guess to replace the bard I just lost. Well, since I never bother with dyers I'm making you another tavern keeper.

This is typically how I queue up tasks at glass furnaces. Put a few collect sand jobs on repeat and then an equal number of whatever it is I want to make on repeat. As long as the bags don't get claimed for something else, they'll repeat this process 'til the end of time with no resources needed to keep it going.

On the subject of glass production, I gave one of my legendary stonecrafters the glassmaking labor and the other one the pottery labor. They can keep making stone pots and crafts in their off time but I think it wouldn't hurt for them to learn some new skills. I also have two legendary bone carvers that I need to put to work.

Another year, another trade agreement. They're paying top dollar for earrings and ammunition. They must have gotten word that all I have is silver and lead for metal.

The custom images on the axes was a total wash. They seemed to have zero effect on the value during the trade. However I was already getting more than twice their base value so a few axes traded for over 8000 each. I got everything I requested and more for five silver axes.

The first glass disc traps are in place. There are four discs each, more than enough to kill anything that's wearing less than iron armor, and enough to at least soften up anything else. To that end...

I'm getting a barracks ready for a small military. I'm thinking a full squad of a mix of mace and spear dwarves and maybe a small squad of marksdwarves.

I have a few additional rooms and areas that have been sneaking their way through the cracks, but I think I'll save those for the next post to show off.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 06:37:29 am »

Udib finally bit the dust. He was the one that arrived already in a bad mood and started throwing tantrums left and right. After several beatings he lapsed into a depression and stopped eating or drinking, wandering around mindlessly outside until he finally dropped dead from dehydration.

I said I would go over some of the new areas so we'll start with this one. As you can see, The Eater of Uniting is pretty fleshed out and to the east I carved out a little cistern so I could have a water source that my dwarves don't have to go outside for. I was hoping they would be able to fish from it, and at first it said it qualified as a fishing zone, but after closing off the river from it using a drawbridge, it doesn't qualify anymore. I might have to dig into the wiki later to see why this is. I know in earlier versions dwarves could fish from cisterns just fine, but maybe it has something to do with the season or cutting it off once cuts it off permanently?

Here we have a modest hospital in the northern part, a militia barracks in the south, and on the east side is the jail and I just realized how unpolitically correct that sounds. Unfortunately I dragged my feat on getting the jail finished, hence the constant beatings my sheriff has been giving a lot of the more rowdy dwarves.

Sheriff's office and quarters. Not much to say about it, really, other than the sheriff liked the color deep green so I made him some green glass armor stands and weapon racks.

This is a little crafting area I made for my bonecarvers. I originally wanted my leather worker to use this area to decorate the silver axes with leather, but then I learned that you can't decorate weapons with a lot of things, including leather.

All the magma powered workshops and such. There's different stockpiles for galena, iron ore, and marble, and stockpiles for bars and sand bags. A clay stockpile will probably be coming soon if I ever get around to it.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 09:11:14 pm »

Has it really been four months since I made an update? Well, I'm going to try to get back into it now and resume the saga of Fatetombs.

This is an interesting looking artifact, although it was the result of a possession so no one got any legendary skills out of it. A bucket that menaces with spikes of steel. Very dwarfy.

I noticed I had a bunch of paper and scrolls sitting in my trade depot, apparently having decided to start educating my dwarves, so it was about time I built a library. It shall be known as The Fenced House. I'll need to assign some scholars and scribes at some point but for now my dwarves are very happy just being able to read.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 09:09:16 pm »

The elves showed up and tried to sell me a tree branch. I told them I wasn't interested, however...

I was more than happy to take this elephant off their hands. Dwarves like elephants, right? Anyway, they had some more forgotten beast silk bagpipes and a couple of solid gem pedestals so I took those, along with some fruit, a few more exotic animals, and a few clothes and wooden chests just for fun. The whole trade just cost me a couple of silver battleaxes.

I don't think any of my dwarves can afford to pay the taxes on whatever this dwarf might randomly decide to give away, so I think I'm going to pass on this one for now.

Another mysterious death in the tavern, this time one of my miners which is very unfortunate. A wax worker was nearby and saw the whole thing, but refuses to give me any details as to exactly what happened. Again, I can only assume it was alcohol poisoning.

I decided to use that artifact bucket from before to make a well. I'll probably scatter some nice statues around here later and turn it into a statue garden.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »

Ah, it lives! Your prose remains refreshingly direct, and your tileset intriguing.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 11:10:51 pm »

Monom Volalthob, the fortress manager was being a little rowdy in the tavern and got a savage beating for his crimes. I'm not entirely sure why none of my dwarves are being put in jail whenever a crime is committed. About all they're being used for is private dining rooms. This has been a problem every time I've tried making a jail. I've followed all the guides and dug through the wiki to make sure I'm doing everything right but still the only punishments being handed out are beatings. It's quite irritating.

I figured my new elephant might have a big enough appetite to warrant needing his own pasture, so I made him one. Looking over at my original pasture, I noticed I have quite a few water buffalo. I think it might be time to start butchering some of them before they get out of hand.

You know it could be possible that my dwarves are acting like heathens because they haven't been able to worship in a while, so I made them a simple temple, not devoted to any particular god. I might make one or two more temples later for a couple of the more popular gods.

A rather mundane artifact. If she wants to claim it she can have it.
Pages: 1 [2]