Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: =]M[= Granitepanther, a tileset-centered fortress =]M[=  (Read 1242 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
Re: =]M[= Granitepanther, a tileset-centered fortress =]M[=
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 05:04:27 pm »

What extra weapons have you given your dwarves?
Come play Mafia with us!
Push q-v-l-b-shift.d-V for volcanic armageddon.
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 05:26:13 pm »

Resized great weapons so dwarf-sized creatures can use them (greataxe, 2h sword, and maul) and added flails and morningstars as well, for variety in killing tools.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 12:57:41 pm »

Just a poke in to show off the artifacts whose art was left out of the previous update.

The cabinet,

The bracelet,

And lastly, the lost bracelet, which was lost to a crash and was our original first artifact.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 01:42:42 pm »

Loads of spikes. That cabinet looks more like some weird torture rack, to be perfectly honest.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2019, 06:59:02 pm »

Yeah, I looked up "hanging rings" and consistently got that, and this lot does indeed seem to have a thing for spikes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 03:21:24 pm »

Once again we're back good denizens, in Granitepanther!

So, where the last update left us with a dead child, apparently nature decided we needed to be at replacement rate. ZM5 also now has his dwarf, dubbed Ziem, our CMD. Yes, I entrusted the guy who made the horrible shit in those myriad of modpacks with healthcare. He also appears to be someone possessed of a violent streak, and with a fondness for gold and flails, so I'll probably see about setting up the good doctor with his anesthesia stick.

For one we get two, so we're at +1 for population.

Or +2 and a masterwork sword. Also, Ziem brings to my attention a distinct lack of medical supplies. Thankfully, we have wood, and we have llamas. So we're gonna rub llamas and wood on our wounded until they stop complaining of their injuries. This as you can imagine, pro\oved successful. Yes, this includes Ushrir McGivesnofucks.

With the wounded tended to and poor little Atir buried in a makeshift cemetery outside the dorm where he died, I begin construction on a temple-library combo (temple on the bottom floor, library above,) in late Galena of 353. Autumn rolls in, and I again send the insistent liaison packing. No nobles in this town. For now, anyway. Following the caravan's visit, I also started laying the groundwork for roads and more housing. I also got the militia suited up with iron mail shirts, helmets, and had planned for leather body armor to keep them light on their feet.

As furnishings are moved into the library, dwarves begin taking their meals in there, so I make plans to move basic production away from the tavern so that I can build a proper eating hall made of stone near to the tavern. Did get set back on this a bit by a crash, but unlike before, I was expecting it and saving after every project I designated. Also, just for fun, along the main T-junction into the depot, I decided to be an ass and remind all visiting caravans of that fuck-awful Hill Titan apparently hanging out in the area.

Both of the chert statues are of different dwarves said hill-titan has killed. Blame Meph, he made them. A kid also mooded, grabbed some mussel shell, and set to work. The product was painfully bland, but I was able to work with it. Kind of anyway. Not sure how he managed to make an entire cage out of a single mussel shell.

Moving swiftly on, winter comes in with windows! Lots of windows. I've imported plenty of sand and have been steadily tiling the rooftops of the hovels. I also decided to use green glass for the warehouse and the crafting areas, since they'd be more cost effective while doing the same duty of looking somewhat nice and letting in the light. And speaking of duty, Ablel the woodcutter was drafted as the fort's new bowyer and siege engineer, the fruits of which will probably be sold off to the human and dwarven caravans.

Among the things I installed in a new general work area, was a carpet maker's workshop, which I decided to utilize to make floors for a new mayoral suit, and I dug the area out where I plan to put the engineer's guild. However, for that eventual barony, we have something very interesting indeed. Rock crystal.

However, not too long after this discovery, in the spring of the following year, we got a visitor. A very large and salty one.

G-geddit. C-cause it's made of salt? Guys? Alright fuck the lot of ya. Anyway, being the definition of "bitch made" in terms of materials, art aside, I sent the militia after it, confident that they could pound a lump of crumbly bullshit into inert chunks. By which I mean Tirist was hauling logs nearby and I told him to lead by example.

It basically had one chance to kill him and it missed. I got a bad feeling about things soon after - we'd been attacked twice the past two years by werelizards, so I had no reason to assume this year would be different, so I posted watch goats to make bleating noises if a night creature appeared.

And sure enough a watch goat did just that! With the forest around the town slowly disappearing, werebeasts are going to find it hard to sneak into the community to murder children.

The militia formed up outside the barracks during the brief window they had to do so before the beast caught the goat. Thankfully everyone was nearby (Tirist lagged behind a bit because he was hauling a bag of bricks to do some building with.) Had it not been for the goat, that thing probably would have done some serious damage. Atir also proved her worth with that masterwork sword, because after a no-sell hit to the leg (only tore scale) she stabbed it in the arm.

The arm proceeded to fall off.

Everyone got a good lick in after this, with Udil the Axedwarf tackling the thing off the goat (and taking its left foot in the process,) Atir taking its left hand, and Tirist lopping off its right lower leg. And then Udil disemboweled it, it missed Atir and Tirist, Tirist cleaved off the rest of its right leg, and then Udil got the last hit in, in showy fashion.

I like to think he merely said "Indeed." To its statement before taking the monster's head. Evidently goats make excellent distractions.

I nearly finished the temple sometime after this, with the main issue being our goddess Nanges Sunnydives, the goddess of animals. I kept trying to get stuff made of her only to get statues of people who authored things to glorify her instead. I eventually had to just make a group commission instead (which I didn't want to do, cause I hadn't needed to for the others.) But thus, we got "The Lord of Beasts."

On the 14th of Hematite, 354, we also got a mayor! Six people instantly complained about a lack of tables afterwards because they insisted on eating in the higher quality chairs in her unfinished office. Luckily, she also didn't have a private bedroom yet, so she moved in easily. Long may she reign! Assuming she doesn't make these breastplate mandates too often. Those are heavy. By the time building was done though, she had nicer quarters than some dukes.

After the caravan left, we had an issue of rotting food in the kitchen as well, which is likely to cause a ton of negative personality changes and the food stock being overfilled by the fucking mayor and her incessant fishing that I missed (she's such a good fisherman that she's a legendary +3 fisherman now. No fish or mollusk is safe from her rod.) Decided to let her fully master her craft before putting a stop to it.

Autumn comes in quietly, with the mayor's suit finished save for windows in the dining room (I opted to let it stay with just it's stone roof.) I also built  a defensive wall, the first level of which was finished on the west side of town. I also finally opened the temple to worship, and the entire population descended on the place. About three weeks later, caravan arrives, and the liaison is again told to fuck off. In late autumn, we did get a different sort of excitement though.

Badger men went around the wall and clambered over via willow branches. Someone's pet got the crap beaten out of it, but another ripped one to shreds. I called up the war dorfs of course to deal with this problem. Ablel the farmer meanwhile continued farming without a care in the world, as if she saw the tussle and just shrugged and went back to her potatoes.

Course that went away when I had a crash happen while rapidly plonking down floor tiles for roofing. Sucks, but it is what it is with the tileset, and it seems to not like that.

I almost forgot to grab the screenie of it, so I took one here, along with one of the houses. The kid to her credit charged the monster, saving a mother with a baby in her arms and distracting the beast while the militia piled in from the alley behind it. Along with the mother and baby, who tried to beat on the creature with their fists, and by some miracle didn't die or get infected in the process. If she had, then it would have entirely invalidated Lor's sacrifice

Udil took its head off instantly when he arrived, but the damage was done. Lor, the child, didn't survive (not that she would have been allowed to - as soon as she was put in a hospital bed I would have walled her in and started dropping rocks on her,) as you can see. Ignoring this, I built a coffin, stuffed the mangled heap inside, dumped the growing pile of werebeast bits and dead animals (as a goat and a llama died of starvation from being too stupid to go outside and eat grass on their own,) and opened up a library! It's called The Granite Library, and that works fine, even if it's actually built out of slate, not granite. I also opened the tavern, even if it lacked drink (due to Mayor Olon's incessant fishing, which he has since been barred from continuing.) It's no Royal Archive, but it'll do the job.

I also cracked and used removestress on Kivish, one of the soldiers. He keeps crying on the mayor instead of actually doing things on his own to reduce his stress more effectively (I also meant to use brainwash on him to make him stop being a baby and elevated his mental stats instead like an idiot.) Cheaty, I know, but at least he won't be a baby for a while, and I'll refrain from doing it in the future. Atir, mother of Atir the dead kid from before, is also starting to crack, due to her not handling stress well (and without her husband, unlikely to interact with family any time soon.)

But, since I know I need to start handling single dorfs' housing arrangements (and have set Meph and Tirist up,) so new structures are quickly erected, of which Atir gets one of the first ones. Also, fun fact, Atir is one of the few who has had the chance to form a relationship. She and someone named Thob decided they hate eachother, and she keeps having flashbacks about the death of the rat men.

Summer arrived with a child going into presumably a secretive stonecrafting mood, as he grabbed a lump of lignite, imported green-dyed llama wool cloth, and bismuth, as well as needing us to slaughter two animals to provide the needed bones. So he got llama and pig bones, since the only exotic animals on the map were giant wrens that refused to come down to where I could kill them. Ended up with a swanky looking amulet. I mean, it could have been something cool, but an amulet depicting an elf getting monched by a giant chameleon if fine too.

The humans arrived a week later, with a long train of five wagons and as many individual pack beasts. Among the supplies they brought were numerable metal bars, including the nickel that Atir the troubled was after. So those got put to use as craft goods specifically for her. She then received none of them as other greedy shits who also like nickle took them all before she got a chance to. There was also a buzzard issue, but it seems a human crossbowman making a little show of skill made them piss off for a bit, though it didn't stay that way for long.

Hope someone likes buzzard. Because after this, several more were either shot by that crossbowman, or killed by marauding children. Also, vengeful thoughts can confirm, stack per number of allies, because one guy went from "alright" to "Stumbling obliviously" due to a shitload of vengeful thoughts. I had to use DFhack to get rid of them because they would have driven three people insane just by constantly interrupting people and causing an ever-increasing stress load with vengeful thoughts that I couldn't hard counter (due to an utter lack of marksdwarves.) Once I did that, the most severely affected began to recover without constant bird pestering, as the giant wrens and sparrows seem uninterested in getting close enough to be savaged by angry children. It was a definite cheese, but it's also a highly damaging stress source that I couldn't otherwise counter besides letting them steal food from the depot - which the constant construction crews and kids nearby wouldn't have permitted.

For example, this kid, Sakzul, who killed two all by himself by breaking one's neck and throwing one so hard it's lower body split in half in a mushy heap. Kid has a bright future as a soldier ahead of him.

I also deactivated the tavern, library, and temple and made a small 3x3 meeting space. people keep complaining about lack of friends, so I'm gonna fuckin' make them make friends. Caravan from home also arrived, and I told'em to eat shit because they decided to come from the presently inaccessible north side of the river (inaccessible due to defenses put in place that aren't finished.) Traded for metal and that was it. Tirist also got to kill a giant hedgehog that wandered in and kept scaring the llamas.

About a month into the "Friendship Box" proclamation, some dwarves even started making friends! Deler's beginning to recover, Edzul finally dropped to 35k stress instead of 37-36 constantly, but Atir continues to worsen, possibly related to the unavailability of barn owl. I fear I need to accept a barony so I can import food the problem dwarves like from home.

I jammed Atir and Edzul in the militia after the late winter thaw (it's definitely too warm to make ice stuff sadly.) Either the militia can beat them into shape or they'll go insane, and it's already helping Edzul, and I fired up Legends to determine why Atir's husband is absent (because she's possibly doomed without him to make babies with her, and I'll need to use DFHack to divorce her.) Which I do indeed have to do because he's been dead for seven years. At the end of the year, I plan on jamming everyone in a proper box so she can hopefully find a new hubby.

Spring came, and for once instead of the usual weremonster attack, we got a different visitor! A giant! Oh, and Tirist named his sword a week before it arrived, giving it the title of Bendrained.

Sent out Tirist with Edzul and Atir so they could get thier excitment and fighting needs in (every little bit helps after all.) At the end of it, Edzul claims victory, as the giant, who managed to kill a visiting bard on his way out, collapsed from exertion and caught a steel sword to his brain after battling him and Tirist for a bit. And of course, the year wouldn't be complete without a fucking werelizard attack. This one slipped in through a hole in the south wall (I'm making a point of waiting for the brief winter freezes to build proper foundations underwater.)

However, the werelizards are running out of easy access points to the fortress that don't require getting past angry dwarves, and this time I have a fully armored militia coming at it, so there shouldn't be any risk of getting infections once the south side gets walled up, as, believe it or not, I have in fact completed the defenses around the north, west, and east approaches. Also apparently at some point Meph got hit with a production violation for some reason. Not sure when or why, but I noted it among the plethora of assault and vandalism charges against Edzul and Atir, who tantrummed during their initial training, though mercifully, the other troops just let them wail on their shields or armor ineffectually (which as a bonus boosted Edzul to a novice wrestler! Maybe not having guards will let them get the "punishment delayed" moodlet to help them calm down.)

Udil leads the charge! And mercifully, the civvies in the vicinity are safely behind lockable barriers or are sane enough to fucking flee rather than fight. Until I issue the official kill order. Then they start streaming towards it, but by then there's three soldiers on it, and their armor has already proven its worth.

Udil took off a leg and Bembul and Edem disable its arms (after Udil destroyed a lung and cleaved out a hunk of its tail,) And amid the tussle, Bembul landed a solid stab with his steel-tipped spear, though the strike only broke skull, not brain. After having all of tis limbs disabled though, he got another one in and left many folks who weren't even involved in the fight beyond seeing it because they stupidly ran towards the highly infectious monster deeply traumatized for some reason.

Then I had to savescum following clean up.

Meph. Dude. You fucked up with the campfire and crematorium. This is an unmitigated criticism there, it doesn't work in the capacity it was needed for. The worker for the campfire more often than not commits suicide because they can't path out of the smoke, resulting in death by burning/smoke inhalation and subsequent incineration of their own body. I've tried to use it for corpse disposal twice, and both times had to savescum because of that. Now, why do this? Because magma is too much of a hassle for my playstyle to go after for it, and because the crematorium doesn't function as I was lead to believe it would. Don't get me wrong, it works great for getting rid of severed body parts and vermin cluttering up the place and produces useful ash as a result.

But.

What is needed is a corpse disposal. It does not fill this function. It burns vermin, it burns body parts - which while handy for getting rid of teeth and fingers and such, I should note includes useful things like shells and wool - and it will burn junk furniture and clothing. It literally doesn't do the one of the two things it would be needed for. Can stockpiles fix a part of this? Sure, but that defeats the primary role for it - having a trash burner take care of dead enemies so they don't need hauling to begin with. I can understand if this was due to issues with dead citizens, but that's why you bury your dead before setting the burner loose. This is functionally relegating it to  little more than an overly-large vermin cleaner, and the only other option doesn't even work half the time (failing to even cause wear on the corpse,) and kills the worker. Sorry about the harshness of the words, but seriously. You dropped the ball super hard here.

This includes rolling back the above victory, though the outcome only changed to Udil cutting the monster's head off instead of Bembul putting a hole in it. That tirade out of the way, we got another artifact. A miner made this one. A small army also showed up looking for some random-ass artifact. And they had a bunch in tow, but they would have slaughtered all of us if I tried to seize them.

Update over. No tour yet, gonna do that separate after I finish the noble manor. Unrelated to any other tirade, the shingles need a bulk version that covers a depot-sized space or something, cause I love these, but doing it manually one tile at a time is painful. Several structures are unshingled, so bear it in mind when the tour is done. Also, do tell if you like the custom artifact arts I pair these with now.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 04:17:30 am »

The salt titan looks oddly adorable, like it could have been an interesting good biome mount if it wasnt gargantuan.

Pretty neat artifacts, aside from the mussel cage. Atleast it can be used for something I guess?

Sure's a lot of werelizards around. I should remedy that at some point.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 04:23:50 am »

Some of the werelizards are a local issue and have been for years apparently, according to Legends Viewer. Others are presumably local idiots from the past half decade or so. And yeah, the shell one was pretty boring. One uniform color and material, so there wasn't a lot I could do with it.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • [inset cliche quote referring to profile picture]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 09:34:46 pm »

I'll note you've been getting a lot of artifacts, or at least making note of all of them. As a semi-cheaty tip, you can forbid the main ingredient of artifacts to get iron artifacts instead. Forbid the ingredient after the dwarf starts working, or they'll just grab another. You can forbid all ingredients except for one and still produce an artifact (so if you're unsure which item is the main item, but can at least rule out one of them, you can forbid everything but that item), but if you forbid everything the dwarf will go insane.
Structural integrity? What happened to punching gravity in the face? We're dwarves, damnit!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:10 pm »

I have been because I wanna add some kind of artwork to help make things slightly more interesting.

I've heard about the exploit, decided against using it for the sake of material variety.
Pages: 1 [2]