Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Infiltration - ancient evil god game simulator  (Read 20898 times)

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infiltration - ancient evil god game simulator
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2019, 08:04:55 am »

Let's come back for another update!

Just to say: I'm still here!
I'm working on it on my spare time and now a basic "fight" between a corrupted agent and a monster is in place. Nothing "complicated" but a basic approach: just roll two dices add some stats (attack, arcane, followers? I'm not still sure, because every class should have a different "main stat" to use in combat, right ? ) and make damages.
I want combat to be difficult and brutal: so it's possible that one of corrupted agent, controlled by player, could die in a snap of fingers.

What do you prefer? A brutal and fast combat (and difficult) between your pawns or a more slow combat ( I mean on more game turns ) with possibility for agents to run ?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2019, 11:50:29 am »

Didn't play yet( I need to get some time to do stuff)  so take that as you wish, but I think brutal combat might be a smarter idea if you want people to less reliy on a few strong agents and try to get a bigger base
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 02:59:58 pm »

thanks Rockeater for your reply!
Right now only limit for corrutped agent is time: every agent require 10 turns, so it is "only" a game of patience and for this prototype is fine.
Brutal combat (I mean with brutal one roll: win or die!) could be smart but only the most quick mechanics to build.
In the prototype there is no leveling for agents, so it's only a matter of balance for combat (and a bit of luck of course!)

mapacible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 08:29:35 am »

Hey Gornova, it's fun to see a similar game concept as ours with a vastly different gameplay implementation! I've played through the prototype a bit and I like how you have several concepts implemented in the game that we don't: such as having guilds (Mage Guild, etc). It makes the world feel more interesting and authentic. I'd like to share a couple of thoughts based also on our experience trying out different concepts/prototypes for our game:

- I'd suggest that you exert extra time thinking about more ways for the player can interact with the world. This was also a previous issue with our game. Since the game is simulating NPCs, you may get caught up and be focused too much on the world as a simulation but may neglect that the player must have interesting ways to interact with it and not end up mostly just watching the events taking place. From what I can see right now, there are three available actions: Corrupt, Calling and Move. I'd love to hear what your other future plans for player interaction.

- It may be difficult for the player to keep track of everything that occurs in a tick. Maybe you can also do it like we did where each character and location has their own log list. Like this:

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 03:56:06 pm »

@mapacible thanks for trying it ! My prototype is done in spare time, so there are a lot of rough edges to fix, so really appreciate any thoughts, in particular on someone that are same path as mine (but more professionaly as far I can see). For more info about my project, you can read previous posts in this topic, in particular long posts that are reasoning on this topic. You can take a look on my blog too, in particular here: https://randomtower.blogspot.com/2018/09/infiltration-open-design-points.html personally I've found really useful to drawn a tree/like structure for game mechanics as suggested in the book " Designing Games: A Guide to Engineering Experiences, by Tynan Sylvester."

My goal as said in first post is to create  "a turn based single player asymmetric game where player take control of an agent and manipulate actors and organizations to obtain victory", not sure if your concept is similar or not.

About world that is more interesting, currently there are some "major" systems that are outside of normal agent lifecycle in place:
- clue system: more player actions do, more high is chance that an agent try to investigate about it
- faction system: like you said, factions/guilds has relations in place and can do wars
- food system: wars between guilds and some random values in place move foods (think about seasons for example) and this could contribute for rebellions to start if there is no enough food in a city
- rebellion: a city accumulate over time from player and agent actions or another system rebellion points and after a threshold a rebellion start. My idea here is that a rebellion could "infect" another cities and cause government change, but for now is out of the scope for this prototype
- recruitment: from time to time, new actors will popup to keep world interesting

- I'd suggest that you exert extra time thinking about more ways for the player can interact with the world. This was also a previous issue with our game. Since the game is simulating NPCs, you may get caught up and be focused too much on the world as a simulation but may neglect that the player must have interesting ways to interact with it and not end up mostly just watching the events taking place. From what I can see right now, there are three available actions: Corrupt, Calling and Move. I'd love to hear what your other future plans for player interaction.

Yes, you nailed Infiltration main problem right now! I have a clear roadmap for this prototype, but for sure on next iteration (or next game) this will be main focus.
You miss maybe a thirt action "Manipulate", when you click on a relation between a corrupted actor and another actor, you start an action between these two based on how much madness target has.

- It may be difficult for the player to keep track of everything that occurs in a tick. Maybe you can also do it like we did where each character and location has their own log list. Like this:

I appreciate your suggestion and there is a similar concept already as "quest log" in actor screen:

there is also a general log that you can filter for each city on bottom part of the screen, nothing fancy, but do the job.

Thanks for your time!

mapacible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2019, 02:04:28 am »

Hey Gornova! I enjoy the concept of your game. Yea, it's really a good idea to start focusing on what the player can do in the world and ensure that there is enough game in there. I didn't see the Quest Log when I tried it, that's a good start.

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2019, 11:42:37 am »

Thanks!
With this prototype i have learned a lot on what i wanted in this kind of game

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2019, 03:59:56 pm »

Welcome back with Infiltration!

Download link here

This release is marked 1.0.0 because is my launch as "final prototype" of my game vision. You can find it incomplete, you can find it horrible, but I have made this prototype on my free time with a single goal: learn.

I have learned a lot and I will share some toughts on my path on some next dev logp, for now, let's focus on this release!

Changes:

- fixed some bugs on hidden pois
- added fight in hidden poi between player's agent and an horror to unconver secret knowledge
- disabled log for all pois, now player must select to see something changing

As always I'm open for comments, ideas. Even if this is a prototype any thoughts is appreciated, see you soon!

mapacible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2019, 08:53:42 am »

Congrats on the final prototype! I will try it out on the weekend and give feedback.

Gornova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2019, 03:17:52 pm »

thanks! no revolutions here, only little evolutions
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]