Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Upcomming announcement....  (Read 19605 times)

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upcomming announcement....
« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2019, 01:29:48 am »

I seem skeptic about graphics it's mostly because of the whole lot of problems that arise right now with them and that can't be solved because of code limitations
For modding yes, there are limitations.
But we're not talking about modding. We're talking about Toady bringing forward the graphics modding support section of development. Coding. To remove the code limitations.

That he's doing this with advice from people highly experienced in what the current code limitations actually are is quite a positive development.

That was my whole poit: that this is going to require that Toady dedicates time to it, instead of working on other things. But as I already said, I'm not actually concerned by it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2019, 01:41:16 am »

I seem skeptic about graphics it's mostly because of the whole lot of problems that arise right now with them and that can't be solved because of code limitations
But we're not talking about modding. We're talking about Toady bringing forward the graphics modding support section of development. Coding. To remove the code limitations.

That he's doing this with advice from people highly experienced in what the current code limitations actually are is quite a positive development.

That was my whole poit: that this is going to require that Toady dedicates time to it, instead of working on other things. But as I already said, I'm not actually concerned by it.
There's roughly 30 years of development left. Whatever Toady does it's instead of doing something else. That's what happens when you code alone.

Graphics modding support is part of that development plan, not something new. He can do it now or later. Takes the same time, but right now Meph and Mayday are still alive and interested.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2019, 02:27:57 am »

There's roughly 30 years of development left. Whatever Toady does it's instead of doing something else. That's what happens when you code alone.

Graphics modding support is part of that development plan, not something new. He can do it now or later. Takes the same time, but right now Meph and Mayday are still alive and interested.

Sure, but I still think that this comes more from the necessity of attracting new players (and having some stability and that all) than from an actually desire to tackle graphics support right now. As long as it serves its purpose it'll be positive, I'm not denying that either.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2019, 03:19:53 am »

All depends if you want Toady to work on what he enjoys most, or if you want Toady to work on what the players enjoy most. Graphics and UI are certainly nothing he'd look forward too working on, but the player-base might.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2019, 09:22:57 am »

My advice: don't be afraid of the pausing. Take your time. Enjoy the flavour in the dwarf psychologies, and perhaps try looking into a build or option menu item you haven't paid much attention to.

You may well encounter something that will click with some need you encounter a short amount of game-time down the line, just be association. And, if not, it's probably not going to be completely irrelevant, so you won't actually be cluttering up your mind-palace, merely furnishing it.

Btw, I wish, back in August, I had thought something like this instead of "there is only one month or maybe two to the next release, not worth investing time in starting another fortress until then", ha ha.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]