Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to get a channel for lava flow off the edge of the map?  (Read 745 times)

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm hoping to poke some holes in my site's volcano and have channels running down the side of actively flowing lava (I may be facing FPS issues in the future :) ). For purely ascetic reasons I would like the channels to continue all the way to the map's edge, but obviously that falls afoul of the map edge digging mechanics.

I've tried several of the workarounds mentioned in the wiki but several of them seem to have been patched out and none of them appear to have been successful. Specifically I tried smoothing and fortifying but the map edge rules appear to have been extended to make all designations impossible at the map edge so the smooth designation won't even register. I think the makes most of the other workarounds (removing a floor tile built over a ramp for instance) moot since they all require doing _something_ to the map edge.

I've also played around with dfhack tiletypes and that seems like it would do the trick although I'm loathe to risk launching my fort with dfhack as it's currently vanilla. If I were to go that route, should I make the top 'floor' tiles that I want to drain into empty air and the next tiles down floor?

So in short, is tiletypes the only option I have? Is there something I should read so that I expose the fort to minimal corruption risk?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:15:07 pm by timvisher »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can build floors, roads, and bridges at the edges of the surface, but that's more or less it. You can make fortifications in the edge further down, but probably not at the first level of ground (and as it's usually soil you can't smooth it anyway).

I would guess changing the tile type with DFHack would work, and once done and saved, you ought to be able to remove the usage of DFHack again.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

As far as channeling, your only vanilla option would be to find the highest underground z-level you can turn into a fortification, and then create a gradual slope to the surface for a natural-looking lava tunnel.

You can build floors, roads, and bridges at the edges of the surface, but that's more or less it.
You can also obsidian cast, if you're careful.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:00:53 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

timvisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I'm glad I asked. For some reason in my test embark I really thought I couldn't designate edge stone to be smoothed. It looks like that works though so I'm probably going to go that route. Thanks for the responses!