Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really irritating problem: Marksdwarves won't equip.  (Read 1299 times)

Oafsalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Really irritating problem: Marksdwarves won't equip.
« on: March 21, 2019, 04:13:35 pm »

I have enough equipment. By a long way.

I have some dwarves fully equipped. So it's not a general bug.

But some of the dwarves just don't want to pickup all their equipment. I try changing squads and uniforms, stationing, etc.

In Therapist is says they want a specific item, Grizzly Bear Quiver for example. Sometimes these items make no sense, like a wool backpack. This is new to me.

Am I missing something, has something changed. I used to get occasional problems but this is infuriating.

Any assistance would be welcomed.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14304

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:18:35 pm by Oafsalot »
If you like this game why not head over to https://www.patreon.com/bay12games/posts and make a small contribution?!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Really irritating problem: Marksdwarves won't equip.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:07 pm »

When Therapist shows a Grizzly Bear Quiver, that means you had a Grizzly Bear Quiver in your fort and that it was assigned to that squad position's uniform because that dwarf is expected to carry ammo. It also means that quiver was available for use and could be pathed to when it was assigned. The dwarf will only attempt to equip the quiver after they have equipped their crossbow.

The wool backpack, this is assigned to the dwarf because they are expected to carry food supplies. Somewhere in your fort there is or was a wool backpack, probably from trade or visitors, since dwarfs cannot make them from wool. I see none now...

I don't have Therapist on this machine so I didn't see which dwarfs are not picking up stuff or what stuff they are not equipping, but failure to pick up an assigned item usually indicates a uniform conflict (unable to wear high boots over shoes, or conflict with mining/woodcutting/hunting, but I am guessing you checked for those, easy enough with Therapist), or the item became inaccessible after it was assigned (it fell into a pit, into 7/7 water, or is locked behind a door/gate... the item was accessible when it was assigned. Example, military dwarfs are dying in the caverns, a dwarf is assigned a dead guy's quiver, you close the gate and the dwarf can no longer path to the quiver). In general, dwarfs consider uniform-equipping to be a high-priority job. They will go get that stuff unless they need to eat/drink/sleep.

Your dwarfs are mostly set to wear uniforms over clothing and to wear uniforms off-duty, so they should not be picking up and dropping most equipment except when they are upgrading gear or getting more ammo (but I do not know if they pickup and drop backpacks/flasks when going on/off-duty since I don't let them carry them in my forts).  So, which dwarfs are problem dwarfs?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:44 am »

Wiki mentions that hunters, miners, carpenters, and pals have a hidden uniform assignment that interferes with military, and says to disable those labors if you conscript them.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Military

See if that is your issue.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:10 am »

It's Woodcutters rather than Carpenters.  :)