Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA  (Read 14345 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:29:19 pm »

Satisfactory

Developed by CoffeeStain and published through EpicGames, Satisfactory is a game about harvesting resources and using those resources to build machines that harvest more resources to build bigger machines and so forth. Optimizing for efficiency is optional.

Satisfactory features large hand-crafted maps full of aesthetic appeal and hidden resources, some of which are guarded by alien monsters. There is a substantial tech-tree to progress through, and lots of impressively giant machines with moving parts.

Being in Early Access, there are a few resources which do not yet have associated tech trees. However, the content already implemented covers all of the essentials, and should easily justify the current purchase price.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:13:46 am »

While this game is in my interest, I'm am avoiding the epic game store because of its problems. Hopefully if by the time it reaches steam the complaints will be fixed.

Spoiler: epic games store rant (click to show/hide)

Edit. I'll agree that the thread should focus on the game.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:00:40 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:34:23 am »

Cool.

Got the game. It’s fun but boy is power annoying in the first tiers. You have to run everything on biomass which is a limited resource and your power costs to up pretty quickly as well. Animations and models are surprisingly nice too.
Though honestly the best thing so far is how generous the game is with conveyor placement. You worry about the beginning and the end and very rarely does the game tell you it’s invalid placement or too sharp a turn or too short or whatever. Surprisingly refreshing.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:28:31 am »

Got the game. It’s fun but boy is power annoying in the first tiers. You have to run everything on biomass which is a limited resource and your power costs to up pretty quickly as well.

Make sure you are under-clocking your buildings as necessary, so they don't burn biofuel any faster than necessary.
Once you unlock the chainsaw, you can go out and fell a few trees and bring back enough wood to make several thousand biofuel units.

After finishing my new blade-runners today, I went out and did some exploring.

The space elevator in the background marks my homebase. The next picture is the same spot looking in the opposite direction. This world really is huge, and I've yet to find where it ends.

I also rebuilt my iron-processing area. It's...not pretty. But I now have three tier-2 iron components on full auto, minus the fuel which I still have to load manually.
I started out trying to build a multi-floor factory to conserve space, but ran into issues trying to move ingredients vertically. I've got some ideas for my next attempt though...
One of the things I like best about Satisfactory is 100% refund on any deconstructed buildings, allowing me to experiment to my heart's content.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:48 am »

I have also heard rumors it has a data collecting scheme, haven't bothered to look up the articles on it though.

Have a relevant Reddit post. I'm not surprised, though, given Tencent.

Have fun with your Chinese spyware, everyone.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:57 am »

What is this game? Minecraft meets Factorio?

I don't like yet another store (and with less indie games). I'm heavily invested in Steam. No probs with the Chinese though, they would never give me probs, unlike the bad guys of my own country. :P
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 01:24:13 pm »

I will have fun thanks.
By the way Tencent owns Riot, the company behind Path of Exile, owns a notable part of Ubisoft, part of Tesla, part of Activision Blizzard, and more.

So far I’d say Satisfactory is to Factorio what Terraria is to Minecraft. Similar core gameplay concept, but ultimately with very different executions and focuses on different parts of that concept. They fit nicely together. I probably like Factorio more, but I still really enjoy Satisfactort.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:30 pm »

A factory-builder with gpu-intensive graphics...
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »

yeah I am skeptical about the ability of the game to scale to factorio level of madness but I saw some huge factories run with no stutter from some steamer so maybe it can be done

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 03:08:34 pm »

Saw the ads for this and it's about... Chopping down forests to build factories? Why would you want that? Even if you love factories, surely that much focus on the environmental damage is a bit of a turnoff? Andit's not like the factories in this game are any less ugly than real ones. Is it like Monopoly where it's supposed to make the thing it models look bad?

I have also heard rumors it has a data collecting scheme, haven't bothered to look up the articles on it though.

Have a relevant Reddit post. I'm not surprised, though, given Tencent.

From the comments, looks like somebody getting worked up over not necessarily a big deal. It's slow and poorly coded but there's no real evidence that it's spying on you at a level beyond the industry standard.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:25:04 pm by Cruxador »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 03:33:49 pm »

I guess, someone can be fine with cutting virtual trees to build virtual factories.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 04:22:45 pm »

Saw the ads for this and it's about... Chopping down forests to build factories? Why would you want that?

First of all, they are alien forests, so it's not like you're destroying earth's ecosystem. Also you are contractually obligated to efficiently utilize any and all resources available for your FICSIT Inc overlords.

Besides, biofuel processed from trees only serves as an early-game energy source, or possibly a quick-and-dirty energy supply when setting up a new outpost with limited supplies. By midgame, factory builders are pillaging the much more plentiful coal mines for fuel, so that they can pollute the air with entire entire fields of smokestacks~

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:27:07 pm »

Protecting the environment is for those loser civilizations that don't have interstellar travel and are stuck where they evolved.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 06:14:02 pm »

Also you are contractually obligated
That... Also doesn't strike me as fun.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 06:29:25 pm »

It’s... a video game. No different than killing people in shooter games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5