Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA  (Read 13892 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 06:58:29 pm »

It’s... a video game. No different than killing people in shooter games.
There's a difference between some fun violence, or even fun evil, and tiresome corporate wage slavery and waste.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 08:12:56 pm »

Uh. Wow.

It’s a game where you build factories. That’s it. It seems like you don’t like that gameplay concept and are using it to campaign against it. It’s just not for you, man. I don’t see why you’re so worked up about the fluff beyond the gameplay.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:52 pm »

Uh. Wow.

It’s a game where you build factories. That’s it. It seems like you don’t like that gameplay concept and are using it to campaign against it. It’s just not for you, man. I don’t see why you’re so worked up about the fluff beyond the gameplay.
I shared my impression and then continued to talk to people who talked to me about it. That's not a campaign, that's how threads here always work. There's no need to act like I shat on your dog.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »

I shared my impression and then continued to talk to people who talked to me about it. That's not a campaign, that's how threads here always work. There's no need to act like I shat on your dog.
You also assumed background fluff to game-play mechanics.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 10:09:26 pm »

You also assumed background fluff to game-play mechanics.
Maybe look at what I actually wrote. I talked about perception and portrayal of the game only, because that's the only part I'm qualified to talk about. But since that sort of thing is usually supposed to reflect what the game's about (and it's on Epic, so I don't have steam reviews or anything to go by) I reckon it's significant enough to mention.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 01:44:05 am »

Wow, someone's liberal feathers got ruffled. You should play Factorio, where you generate huge forest-killing pollution clouds and kill giant swarms of natives in "industrial" fashion.

Giant farms of coal fired boilers, mining drills, and expanses of concrete. One of the best games ever made.

This one is looking very "Factorio, but 3D" with its own twist on things. I'm interested.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:46:53 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 07:50:00 am »

We'd probably not want to sink down that sort of argument-hole in this thread, very easy to see it making a thread about a great game being locked for stupid reasons. Pretty sure what Cruxador brought up is actually what the developers intended to be part of the fluff (irony being part of the fluff), and it's also a interesting piece of feedback.

I was surprised that even people I didn't expect to like this game ended up loving and dumping lots of hours into it. I was not going to buy it because it's on the Epic Store - I was supporting the Epic vs. Steam wars at first, but things are getting stupid now.
I played 2 hours of the Open Alpha weekend and really enjoyed it. I really like Factorio and I still play modded Minecraft with a bunch of tech mods to this date, and I think there's potential for me to like this more than Factorio. Although Factorio is *really* good on what it does, the reason I prefer modded Minecraft is that if I get bored of automating and making production/storage layouts, I can just head out on an adventure, exploring, decorating, building or anything else. I miss having some "downtime" or "sideline" activities in Factorio.
Not that this is a bad thing for Factorio, I like that we have a game that's 100% focused on its purpose and proposition (automation and factory-building), but it's not my preferred, go-to thing.
If Satisfactory addresses that I can see me playing it a lot. And it's a lot of easier for them to address this since the game is in a 3D first-person environment.

I'll be 'forced' to buy it since I have people asking me every couple days if I got it yet. Seems funny it's made by the same folks as Goat Simulator, though. What a change in tone!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 12:56:55 pm »

I miss having some "downtime" or "sideline" activities in Factorio.

I think this hits the nail on the head, and if Satisfactory is to become real competition, this is something they need to continually design around. Factorio will always be a better factory management game, there's just so much polish and time put into that exact thing. However, every Factorio patch I find myself secretly wishing they added something else, gingerly waiting terrain changes, native life additions, new ways to explore and interact with the world. But that's clearly not what Factorio is really about, and that's fine. Satisfactory can be a good factory game too, but pushing that exploration and interaction with the world is the way I would like to see them deviate from Factorio's path.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 01:50:58 pm »

Well now I wanna play some Factorio.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:01:29 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 02:03:47 pm »

Protecting the environment is for those loser civilizations that don't have interstellar travel and are stuck where they evolved.   :P

Yeah, what are you, some kind of elf?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 02:10:40 pm »

This game is a lot of fun, I bought it the day of EA release and have been playing ever since. It already has a lot of content to explore and there are monthly updates scheduled with new tech tiers.

The game looks quite polished and I haven't encountered any significant bug yet.

Unlike tree-hugging elves, I have no qualms about mowing down forests and paving over everything with glorious concrete and metal, I even think that I will eventually cover the whole map. You don't actually need to build on foundations, but I think it looks cleaner this way.

I heard lots of people complain about early power generation, but really it's not that big of an issue. As you go from leaves, to biomass, to biofuel, you get more and more bang for your buck, and then you can either rush coal or build lots of biofuel burners and fill them with stacks of 200, then make sure to connect them all to your grid and to keep your power generation way above your consumption. This will ensure that biofuel stacks are consumed slowly and remove the need to micromanage them.

Oh and I don't really care about the Epic launcher, it seems like they take a smaller cut than Steam (5% instead of 10% 12% instead of 30%) so if that means more money to the devs, it's all good in my book. I've read quite a number of ridiculous things about that Epic launcher, but when I looked it up I understood that it had been blown way out of proportions and turned into a quasi-conspiracy theory. In reality, there's no real concern to be had, so I don't know why some people are overracting so much, to the point of boycotting it. I honestly don't think that a Steam monopoly is good for gamers and devs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:29:49 am by Sirian »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 03:09:22 pm »

Issue with Epic is about the whole exclusivity and using their mountains of money to keep games from other platforms. Any platforms.
I also thought some competition against Steam is good, but exclusives talk is console talk, and consoles are for peasants. Therefore, exclusives talk is peasant talk, and it's gonna turn PC Gaming into peasant wars: next generation of young people will be dressing Epic or Steam t-shirts and swearing at each other.

And of course, using exclusives makes competition not about the best service, not about the best platform, not about the best company, but about Which Fucking Launcher I Need Now To Play This Videogame That Is Only Available In One of Them?™

Along with that, I doubt any most new contenders in virtual distributors would have the mountains of money to secure exclusive AAA and Indie releases. This effectively kills any new possible (viable) competition.

Overall, the Epic vs. Steam talk was good and fun until it got stupid. Epic should go make its own console instead of messing with my industry.

I also haven't bought Electronic Arts games in about 10 years. Won't make any difference but as some space troopers say.. I'm doing my part.

Epic is just throwing money and buying their place in the market because they know it will work, know that no one will stop them. The likelihood of them becoming like EA is pretty high (controversial moves + not caring about it because they know they have enough money and enough kids, families giving gifts, casuals and people that just don't care buying their stuff and helping them survive through any storm being the EA modus operandi).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:12:29 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 03:32:00 pm »

Actually, Epic isn't hurting Steam nearly as much as its hurting GOG. GOG is the true "victim" with Epic's exclusives+much cheaper for publishers

Steam is big enough to weather the storm
GOG...not so much

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 06:34:37 pm »

GOG still holds the old games and DRM-free markets, and I don't see Epic contesting either one all that strongly. DRM free maybe a little, since they have no store DRM solution unlike Steam, but nothing is stopping games sold on Epic from having DRM.

GOG really should have been doing more to appeal to developers if they actually wanted to compete in the new games market.

As for Epic: The whole "Epic is spyware!" BS is way overblown (oh no, they preload your Steam friends list just in case you decide to link your accounts), and the "but they are owned by the Chinese!" BS ignores the fact that so are a bunch of other companies no one seems to care about (also, Tencent does not have a controlling interest in Epic, so it kinda doesn't matter).

Making matters more absurd is the whole "exclusives" thing. Exclusive to Epic is *nothing* like console exclusives. You can still buy the game and play it on PC, where a console exclusive can only be bought and played on that console, not to mention that Epic exclusives are often available on consoles too so it is even less like a traditional exclusive. It is the equivalent of needing to go to Gamestop instead of Walmart. Who cares?

Steam exclusives were fine for years, now that there is a second store that is getting some exclusives it is suddenly bad? Uh huh. Pull the other one.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 06:51:42 pm »

As for Epic: The whole "Epic is spyware!" BS is way overblown (oh no, they preload your Steam friends list just in case you decide to link your accounts), and the "but they are owned by the Chinese!" BS ignores the fact that so are a bunch of other companies no one seems to care about (also, Tencent does not have a controlling interest in Epic, so it kinda doesn't matter).

Tbh this is just because you've not seen it, not because no one cared. Tencent taking ownship of parts of companies HAS caused concern about those companies, I've seen such concerns brought up plenty of times (and Tencent blamed either seriously or in a joking fashion for anything said companies do wrong from there on out) it's just I think, the first time such concerns have been so wide spread and more importantly are being expressed outside of a already sorta stuck fandom. Like when tencent buys lol lol fans might complain, but no one that doesn't play lol is going to care and lol fans aren't just going to stop playing lol, the damage is sorta done. It's only now that we see a tencent company (even if it's not a controlling share that tencent owns) very aggressively start gobbling up tons and tons of games all at the same time that all the upset has come together into one mass large enough for you to see.

Making matters more absurd is the whole "exclusives" thing. Exclusive to Epic is *nothing* like console exclusives. You can still buy the game and play it on PC, where a console exclusive can only be bought and played on that console, not to mention that Epic exclusives are often available on consoles too so it is even less like a traditional exclusive. It is the equivalent of needing to go to Gamestop instead of Walmart. Who cares?

Steam exclusives were fine for years, now that there is a second store that is getting some exclusives it is suddenly bad? Uh huh. Pull the other one.

I think the main thing is that they are taking exclusives that were advertised and even sold on steam and now saying that these highly anticipated games HAVE to be purchased on their shady ass client despite promises to the contrary. False advertising isn't cool and isn't a "Who cares?"

Also trying to get customers though buying up exclusives for your shitty service instead of trying to make an actually good service that can compete sucks. Although I kinda understand because I doubt even if the epic launcher was better then steam it could win past the installed userbase, but it's still pretty shitty. They could have at least made a good client.

TBH I was looking forward to satisfactory, but the world is full of games. Shady ass lying is enough that for me it's moved from a "I'll buy it in early access" to "Eh well, I'll look into getting it on sale or pirating it later if it turns out good enough." After all, clearly coffee stain studios is pretty untrustworthy now in general.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:57:57 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5