Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA  (Read 14671 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 07:47:24 pm »

Can we maybe keep Epic discussion to another thread?
It's one thing to complain about this being Epic-exclusive, but then there's just talking/arguing about Epic itself without any connection to the game.
And calling Coffee Stain an UNTRUSTWORTHY DEVELOPER that you'll probably pirate the games of is an overstatement for them. They... accepted a timed exclusivity deal for a free platform on the PC. That doesn't really make them untrustworthy nor shady.

Anyways, regarding the actual game:
So far I'm thinking that while the 3D is of course pretty and verticality is cool, 2D is just better for this kind of game. It allows for more focus on optimization and the puzzle aspect with the most information relayed onto the screen. But it's good that Satisfactory is 3D. It's unique enough in addition with the actual gameplay to set it apart from Factorio while making it a good game.

Tier system is an interesting approach to progression, but I wish it was all centralized at the Space Elevator so you could probably automate all of that. I mean, you're obviously meant to automate the parts needed to progress in sub-tier-things, but you still gotta turn them in yourself.

Fun fact: You can add splitters/merges directly onto existing conveyor belts.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 08:22:08 pm »

Oh and I don't really care about the Epic launcher, it seems like they take a smaller cut than Steam (5% instead of 10%) so if that means more money to the devs, it's all good in my book.

While I'm in favor of moving the launcher discussion out of this thread, I just had to correct this point. Steam's standard cut is 30%, not 10%. And as much as I enjoy using Steam, I can understand why publishers are moving away from them over this factor.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 08:31:52 pm »

Yeah, I was watching someone play this, and it didn't take long to realize that there is no challenge to belt routing. You can just go over the mess.

I used to think I wanted Factorio 3D, but now I think I want Factorio with RTS-style 3D graphics. 3D, but constrained into a 2D plain.

As for what Cripfeind said: I could not agree less, but I see no point in continued discussion on the topic. Trying to refute conspiracy theories is ultimately doomed to not changing the minds of anyone who believes them.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 02:32:53 am »

Oh and I don't really care about the Epic launcher, it seems like they take a smaller cut than Steam (5% instead of 10%) so if that means more money to the devs, it's all good in my book.

While I'm in favor of moving the launcher discussion out of this thread, I just had to correct this point. Steam's standard cut is 30%, not 10%. And as much as I enjoy using Steam, I can understand why publishers are moving away from them over this factor.

Oops, correct, it's 12% to Steam's 30%, I have no idea where I pulled those numbers from  ???

Yeah, I was watching someone play this, and it didn't take long to realize that there is no challenge to belt routing. You can just go over the mess.

Yes and no, for small projects you can, but once you get to a certain level of complexity, if you want to optimize in certain ways, you need a certain level of forethought. I've seen some horrendous designs from streamers, which "work" but with awful bottlenecks and abusing the leniency of the game to build their monstrosities on thin air.

My own factory is nowhere near elegant, but it's decent enough and I'm definitely interested in seeing what other people are coming up with.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:46:32 am by Sirian »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 02:53:24 am »

steam cut is not for the sale but is for using the marketplace. steam gets no cut out of keys sold outside the steam marketplace. so keys off kickstarters and people you can reach yourself are at an effective 0% rate

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 03:22:53 am »

I used to think I wanted Factorio 3D, but now I think I want Factorio with RTS-style 3D graphics. 3D, but constrained into a 2D plain.

Yeah, playing the Beta of Satisfactory makes me want to play a more complete version of Factory Town, which is basically closer to Factorio, but prettier and with another theme...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 05:36:57 am »

I spent most of tonight rebuilding my copper-works.

This is the first project I put a bit of effort into. It's 100% efficient with no overclocking or underclocking. And if my math is correct(not a safe bet!) it should be outputting 180 wire/m and 90 cable/m.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 10:34:51 am »

That looks pretty awesome.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2019, 11:21:02 am »

Looking good! I've noticed I waste a good amount of time trying to make stuff compact and looking passably OK. Making the conveyors align to look minimally good every time can take too long for no reason. But it's so cool.  :P

I'm still halfway through Tier 3 and I'm really impressed with the overall look and feel of the game. The sights and sounds, designs of machines, animations and so on.
I'm still not sold on it being better (or even close) than Factorio on those games' basic premises yet -- not that anyone thinks or implies that -- but it's damn fun and can easily keep me playing the whole day.

Really only thing I hope ATM is what I mentioned before: they need to diversify activities a bit. Maybe add some threats, maybe make it so buildings and decoration is a cool and full-fledged feature. If the game only focus 100% on the production lines, I think it will feel a bit shallow or void ("empty inside").

I'm very happy that random wrecks, build painting and vehicles (and the auto-pilot feature) and a bunch of other little details are already in, so I'm pretty sure it will take a great direction.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2019, 05:41:50 pm »

How much content is there currently in the game? Even Factorio didn't really get great until 0.12ish, so I'm wondering whether this is worth checking out now, or if one is better off waiting a year or so for bugs to get fixed and more depth to be added?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 06:17:01 am »

I found 2 adjacent coal nodes in the jungle, so I decided to set up a long-term power solution. The 10 coal generators I've built so far use less than half of the coal tapped from just one of the nodes, and they are generating more than 3x the power being consumed by all my factories, so hopefully I won't need to worry about power for a while.

How much content is there currently in the game? Even Factorio didn't really get great until 0.12ish, so I'm wondering whether this is worth checking out now, or if one is better off waiting a year or so for bugs to get fixed and more depth to be added?

Satisfactory currently has 6 technology tiers to unlock, with at least 2 more in development. If you're expecting Factorio levels of complexity, you'll find that Satisfactory falls short in it's current state.
There is a lot of map to explore and collectables to grab, though only one of the three varieties of collectables currently has a use in your factories.
I definitely feel there is enough content to justify the purchase price right now...but at the same time, I totally understand anyone who would prefer to wait until it is a more complete game before diving in.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 07:47:44 am »

This was my first somewhat successful attempt at a vertical project. The pillar in the center has 2 belts going up, and 2 belts going down. A mk2 Miner on the ground sends iron ore up to the second floor, where it gets smelted into ingots before traveling up to the third floor, where the ingots are processed into 30 iron sheets/m and 60 iron rods/m, which then get sent back down to the ground to be deposited in storage containers I can easily access.

I still feel like I should be able to make it more compact and pretty...but for now, at least it's functional, and with a minimal footprint on the ground.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:40 am »

Game needs a vertical conveyor.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2019, 02:00:20 am »

Game needs a vertical conveyor.

It's planned for the first big update :

Update #1 - End of April
• Quartz Research Chains
• Sulfur Research Chains
Conveyor Lifts

Update #2 - End of May
• Tier 7 (Nuclear and Aluminium)
• Trains
• Overhaul late game areas

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2019, 08:30:42 pm »

I just started a new game in the jungle map, if anyone cares to join me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5