Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA  (Read 13337 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Satisfactory - Factory-Builder now in EA
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2021, 10:05:30 am »

Maaan. Nuclear Waste is still effectively unremovable. It can be processed into plutonium fuel rods, but then *those* generate plutonium waste which can't be used for anything or gotten rid of. In a game where every single other thing is infinite, the fact that this one thing isn't makes nuclear a complete no-go for me. It sucks. Especially when coal power plants (which, fun fact, produce more radioactive waste than nuclear power in real life) are renewable compared to it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2021, 10:08:55 am »

It isn't terribly hard to make a storage yard miles away which can store more hours of waste production than you will ever end up playing the game. I don't see why this is a problem. I throw all of mine in the desert, in a nice building I made. It can store something like 500 hours of waste production. I'll never play that long, so it's effectively a solved problem. If I expand my production I'll build a new storage building.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2021, 10:09:54 am »

Yeah, that is very much true. It's just one of those things that get to me in games. Even if it's practically impossible to ever become a serious problem in any non-absurd amount of playtime, the fact that there is a theoretical limit to the amount of power you can produce via nuclear bothers me irrationally.

EDIT: There's also the political argument, where while minor this contributes to the irrational public view of nuclear power in comparison to fossil fuels like coal. But that's a whole different thing, outside of the game, and is political.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2021, 11:00:55 am »

I don't feel that the political aspect of nuclear power really matters in the context of a video game. The important part is that it is easily solvable as a game mechanic. The fact that you can reprocess it now lessens the overall waste you produce as you can get two production cycles out of the same initial fuel, which is very nice.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2021, 11:08:30 am »

Of course it doesn't matter in the context of the video game; hence I said it was outside of the game. But games have ramifications, even if very minor, outside of them. How media depicts things tends to influence how people see things. But again, politics, so I'd rather not talk about this aspect in it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2021, 11:16:56 am »

Sorry. I worded that poorly. I meant that the outside political issues didn't matter in the context that this video game has built, as in the story it is telling. It makes perfect sense that this company would use up and throw away waste rather than dealing with it responsibly. I understand that this could lead to some people having negative views of nuclear power, which is itself absurd as it's currently the safest sort of power production possible that isn't constrained by environmental factors such as wind and sunlight.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2021, 12:15:19 pm »

Yeah, that's definitely a good point. I could imagine that ficsit would just dilute coal ash into the environment but put nuclear waste on you.

In other matters, are drones just a straight upgrade to trains? Just placed down my first port (holy shit it's huge) and it's starting to seem that way.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2021, 12:43:22 pm »

Trains still have a much larger throughput iirc, you'd need quite a lot of drones to replace a train line, but for smaller scale transport they're amazing.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2021, 08:48:12 am »

Have they actually removed the ability to sink plutonium fuel rods?

The experimental branch had this as a proper way of disposing of them, it was quite an investment and you couldn't run them trough the system a second time for more power but it was a great way to permanently deal with the waste. Plus you'd get some tickets out of it as well.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:46 pm »

I just discovered that if you double-tap spacebar while working at the craft bench, it crafts automatically. I've been just putting something heavy on the spacebar to hold it down this entire time.

EDIT: Holy crap, you can alt-tab out of the game while doing this and it still crafts.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:52:50 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2021, 11:15:49 pm »

There's a huge update, including DEDICATED SERVERS!

According to the ancient traditions, I am running one.

Rather than spam up this thread, please PM me on discord for the invite info. We're going to try to make a game with a lot of neat megastructures and, ideally, a polite and respectful community.

Send me a friend request and I can give more details, including a join for the discord. I'm PTTG#4382 .
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]