Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PBEM Emperor of the Fading Suns Recruitment  (Read 2564 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: PBEM Emperor of the Fading Suns Recruitment
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 11:11:01 pm »

PTW. I don't think I've the stomach to participate in another one, especially vanilla-esque.

Btw, anyone knows what happened to the refurbishing/port-to-modern-language that was being made by guys on this forum? 'Phoenix', was it called? Couple years back or so. I seem to have drifted away to some hole in the life 'round about the time it was supposed to get a MP test run.

I'd be willing to use Emperor Wars, but I haven't been able to get it to work. It was fine a couple months ago, but now it won't allow me to build basic units. Uninstall and reinstall didn't help.

Phoenix seems dead, its at version 0.60 I think, and all the base mechanics work. But it has no AI.

Its also a lot more stable than the base game and works with every mod.

If we could get 10 players we could use Pheonix. The five Great Houses, The League, The Church, The Vau, The Symbiots, and The Rebels would all need players.

I'd be interested in playing The Rebels.  If I capture a noble and kill off all the nobles of a Great House, do I get to be the Next Great House?  :P

The Rebels are a pain from what little I've playtested them. You have to micromanage every reb on every world.

Honestly they should be rotated between people.

No I don't.  The goal of the Rebels, if I am to simulate the AI, is to just be a royal pain in everyone's behind.  So I pick a couple worlds, do a couple things, and let the other Rebels fend for themselves (aka stand there and see if they survive).  As long as I'm unpredictable, it should give the illusion that I am playing all the rebels.

"Hey, why didn't EJ take my vacant farm with his rebel last turn?"
"Maybe he didn't see it"
"Maybe he WANTS me to think he didn't see it, and has a trap outside of my view"
 ;D

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 03:59:43 am »

Not to hijack. But what be best (or personal favorite) mod for this for singleplayer?

Emperor Wars has a ton of flavor and is my personal favorite.

I hear Hyperion is the best singleplayer experience, but haven't played it much myself.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 04:46:39 am »

Not to hijack. But what be best (or personal favorite) mod for this for singleplayer?

Emperor Wars has a ton of flavor and is my personal favorite.

I hear Hyperion is the best singleplayer experience, but haven't played it much myself.
It should be noted, though, that the AI is terrible, and does not pose any threat to a human player whatsoever. It does passably well attacking with army and fleet stacks, especially if pre-assembled by scenario. So the aforementioned mods provide some initial challenge. But it can't do invasions or defend against invasions, or keep its fleets from being captured, or build sensible stacks, or keep them fed.
Which is, btw, one of the reasons the League homeworld is such a prize in multiplayer, even with house rules limiting cheesing-out the capture mechanics.

Playing SP is less of a challenge and more of an 'enjoying the cool lore and building some cities' Zen-like experience. It falls apart as a game right about the time the MP games pick up, i.e. when it transitions from securing own planets to politics.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 05:49:39 pm »

I should point out that there are several mods that are lots of fun on multiplayer (and basically only fun on multiplayer).
Escape from Earth jumps to mind.  I don't recall there being significant rebel presence in that mod, the Vau are supposed to sit there and do nothing, really only the Stigmata need to effectively be run by a player, if its possible to port the mod to Emperor Wars.  So basically 6 players would be needed, and it has the joy of exploration and starting small, rather than being thrown into a broken down multi-planet domain like the normal game.
Pages: 1 [2]