Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2  (Read 16018 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 09:29:25 am »

I may be mixing up company names there (WoD was never my thing). Long story short, this is probably Paradox just throwing things together quickly so people remember the "halfway well-though-out world" parts of WoD, and not the "game by the shittiest people on Earth." Because they own the IP, and don't really want it to be worthless. They'll probably set it in the same setting as the original games to pull in as many of the video game players who don't know the out-of-game history so much.
This isn't Paradox throwing things together quickly. Paradox has had the IP since 2015, and considering that publishing video games is what they do and the reputation of Vampire: the Masquerade, making a sequel is a no brainer. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed around some lore stuff after all the drama with White Wolf, but this games been in development for over a year now. Here's a source.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:31:08 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:06 am »

I may be mixing up company names there (WoD was never my thing). Long story short, this is probably Paradox just throwing things together quickly so people remember the "halfway well-though-out world" parts of WoD, and not the "game by the shittiest people on Earth." Because they own the IP, and don't really want it to be worthless. They'll probably set it in the same setting as the original games to pull in as many of the video game players who don't know the out-of-game history so much.
This isn't Paradox throwing things together quickly. Paradox has had the IP since 2015, and considering that publishing video games is what they do and the reputation of Vampire: the Masquerade, making a sequel is a no brainer. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed around some lore stuff after all the drama with White Wolf, but this games been in development for over a year now. Here's a source.

of course, paradox the publisher is notorious for pushing games out way before they are ready, and generally launching half-finished shit. it's even started to infect their core games and patches.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 10:09:12 am »

Well I'm gratified to see the thread I was going to create is already alive and well.

This is like the last game I expected to ever get made.

Two concerns:

1. Game mechanics that will favor action over the RPG elements of the original. They've already said guns and armor aren't really a thing. Not a huge loss if the action is good, but I'm hoping it's not some locked animation melee combat affair all the way through, where you just punch dudes and use vampire powers all day. Part of the charm of Bloodlines was that you were both a vampire, and kind of a dude who used armor, chose their favorite weapons and had kit. That was the tabletop showing through in the original Bloodlines. The PC Gamer article mentioned a Dishonored vibe coming across for Bloodlines 2 and that would not really please me. To me that translates as "you get some fixed things you can do right from the start of the game, and the rest is unlocking powers and doing the same thing over and over again for 20 hours."

2. VtM: Bloodlines was a quirky game, with a quirky sense of humor and a firm grasp of what made WoD what it is. It was weird. Its characters were weird and characterful. The world was weird and in some ways off putting, in a good way. Will this game get the same sense of WoD? Or will it be a more modern take, with more down to earth characters and a more normal setting? Like, I can't help but think of Vamypr. That is the opposite of what I'd want out of a WoD game. Give me my psychotic vampire hussies. Give me weirdos in nice suits. Give me humor as well as misery.

Bloodlines wasn't a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. But it leaves some big goddamn shoes to fill. Perhaps not in a technical or mechanical way, but absolutely in terms of flavor and themes.

Also for those that are curious, Hardsuit Labs has two games to their name: Chivalry and Blacklight: Retribution. I seem to recall Blacklight as a flop but Chivalry has its audience and is decently well-respected. It may not be the most stunning catalog of previous games, but at least they're not complete nobodies.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:25:23 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 11:03:14 am »

Also for those that are curious, Hardsuit Labs has two games to their name: Chivalry and Blacklight: Retribution. I seem to recall Blacklight as a flop but Chivalry has its audience and is decently well-respected. It may not be the most stunning catalog of previous games, but at least they're not complete nobodies.
Chivalry had some perfectly decent combat gameplay so if nothing else they've got that going for them. Maybe we'll end up with another unofficial fan-patch 5-10 years down the line  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:20:03 am by Sartain »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 11:10:22 am »

Well, I think their only involvement with Chivalry was porting it to console. Hardsuit was formed by refugees from Zombie Studios though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 11:20:20 am »

That catalog looks a little less encouraging. SAW games? Bleh. But at least it means maybe someone there has the chops for horror.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:37:49 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 11:52:53 am »

PTW. The 60€ price tag is probably too much for me to pay at launch, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:08 am »

Yeah, they only did the porting to PS4 and XBONE. Hardsuit's big claim to fame was taking over Blacklight: Retribution after Zombie dissolved (and now Blacklight itself has dissolved, as the servers were officially shut down and the game discontinued on February 10th). You can still play the prequel, Blacklight: Tango Down on Steam, but considering the Mostly Negative score I'm not sure you'd really want to.

As for the SAW games indicating that someone in the studio might have some horror experience, ah... Well, I mean, the reviews were kinda horrible, so I guess that counts?

They also made a Blackwater game that expertly combines glorified private mercenaries and Kinect-based controls to create a thoroughly unimpressive experience. Plus a few Xbox live shooter titles that got absolutely slaughtered.

So, yeah... Zombie had a long career characterized by excellence and experience in the field of making mediocre shooter games, and the reformed Hardsuit Labs has experience in shutting down their single franchise.

Honestly, I think this is gonna be great!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:42 am »

In b4 Epic Store exclusive
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:51 am »

Unsubstantiated prediction: Malkꜵvians will be significantly more fishmalk and significantly less "nod to people who already completed the game and can get the references" than in the original.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:15 pm »

Possible, but I'm pretty sure Paradox would like to at least sell it through their own outlet too
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:40 pm »

I think they've already said that will not happen.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:10 pm »

Its on pre-order at Gog already.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 12:34:47 pm »

Its on pre-order at Gog already.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything, as has been proven before.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 12:37:58 pm »

Unsubstantiated prediction: Malkꜵvians will be significantly more fishmalk and significantly less "nod to people who already completed the game and can get the references" than in the original.

I hope so, it would be a shame if they just rehashed Bloodlines 1 with that. Same goes for the other clan peculiarities.

I just hope that the team can flourish under some RPG veterans, and make something awesome
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12