Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2  (Read 16017 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 12:45:34 pm »

Its on pre-order at Gog already.
Steam as well. Course that hasn't stopped Epic before. Fakeedit: and Kagus beat me to that comment.

So, yeah... Zombie had a long career characterized by excellence and experience in the field of making mediocre shooter games, and the reformed Hardsuit Labs has experience in shutting down their single franchise.

Honestly, I think this is gonna be great!
Yeah, Hardsuit's history is not a reason to get hyped about this game. However, they do seem to be showing some ambition with this game, and that's enough to keep me interested in how it turns out.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 06:53:50 pm »

thanks to this thread, ive been inspired to reinstall the first game. i've done most playthroughs, but i might be a neighborhood friendly vampire this time. maybe a ventrue because i work at a bank irl so i can relate closer. since we're talking about vtmb, which unofficial patch do ya'll use? i know theres a few versions out there so im a bit curious.

edit: ah, the gog version has the unofficial patch merged into it already and its updated.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:25:27 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 02:48:21 am »

They've hired the original writers, the prior head writer being the new creative director, and Chris Avellone having a part, too. This is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I'll be very sad if they fuck it up.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 05:17:58 am »

thanks to this thread, ive been inspired to reinstall the first game. i've done most playthroughs, but i might be a neighborhood friendly vampire this time. maybe a ventrue because i work at a bank irl so i can relate closer. since we're talking about vtmb, which unofficial patch do ya'll use? i know theres a few versions out there so im a bit curious.

edit: ah, the gog version has the unofficial patch merged into it already and its updated.

I recommend also getting the SweetFx mod for less horrible graphics

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 06:52:09 pm »

I should post to watch.  I'm trying hard not to become too hyped over a sequel to a game I enjoyed, but it is hard to resist.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 11:28:15 pm »

PTW. The 60€ price tag is probably too much for me to pay at launch, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

No problem, it's Paradox. You'll be able to pick up the game and all DLC for $600 in about 2 years.

They've hired the original writers, the prior head writer being the new creative director, and Chris Avellone having a part, too. This is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I'll be very sad if they fuck it up.

The guy who worked on Van Buren and Baldur's Gate 3? I'm just being mean there. He also did NWN2, Torment:Tides of Numanuma, and Tyranny.

Bloodlines was pretty good, maybe the sequel won't disappoint.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 11:57:56 pm »

The guy who worked on Van Buren and Baldur's Gate 3? I'm just being mean there. He also did NWN2, Torment:Tides of Numanuma, and Tyranny.
He also did a significant portion of the writing for Bloodlines.

As for DLC, the situation is not looking good. There's day 1 DLC and games journos are saying that they've received confirmation that aspects of the story will be sold as DLC.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 08:51:09 am »

I actually screeched when I saw this. Like full on public screeching. It's my favourite game of all time, and I'm honestly still uncontrollably happy - I've never been so excited by a game reveal.

I saw all their sort of 'teasers' but I honestly thought it was going to be something a bit lame. Some sort of remaster or an isometric/top-down RPG at best. Not only does the trailer look like they've 'got it', but they seem to have gotten most of the original crew together (same lead writer, same sound designer etc.) - they also said they'd be bringing back 'old favourites' too, so I can only imagine Jeanette.

As others have said here, the only issue is that it's paradox. I imagine they're putting a hell of a lot into this financially (probably their first proper, mainstream AAA game), and they're going to absolutely squeeze as hard as they can on the DLC. They've said they won't be locking any clans behind a paywall, but I can imagine a model where they have story DLC for certain clans - there's the main story, but there's a Gangrel specific story line (unconnected to the main game) as DLC. Wouldn't be great, but it could be done without impacting too much on the main game I suppose.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 09:08:02 pm »

Ah, took a look at the bloodlines 1 game version on GoG. It has the basic 'Unoffical' patch installed, which is mostly bug fixes, not the plus version that features the restored content fans have made/fixed.

If anyone is interested the gog fourms have a sticked thread with the Plus mod at top at the top in the link below.

STICKY: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - patches, mods, etc

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 02:08:14 pm »

i hope for better ghoul storylines. what i mean was, heather was nice to have around but i would like the option of training her into a useful ghoul instead of her acting super codependent as she was. so im hoping for some nice, deeper characters to turn into ghouls. for us good vampires, we offer it to save lives and for those who could use our strength, such as a dedicated cop or something. for those with more in touch with the animal inside, maybe convert a loyal toady or force ghoulism upon someone as leverage. and dont make these obviously immediate choices. maybe a storyline where you are hunting down a clanless whos going berserk and disappearing, breaking the masquerade only to find a cop is also on his/her/it's tail. so you either avoid them altogether or you introduce yourself (not as a vampire but maybe a reporter or something). for our nosferatu players, you can just silently eavesdrop as nobody believes this cop or as another clan and a member of the opposite sex, you can flirt with them. eventually they catch up to the culprit and get gravely injured so you have the option of saving them, no matter your earlier choices, and you can bring them in as a ghoul servant/partner or a one-off saving.

so many cool ideas with the setting. i played the tabletop a couple times but its not as... personal? as the rpgs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:10:04 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 03:32:45 pm »

I dunno, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Involved Ghoul plots are a staple of the tabletop because that's where there's room for it. The Ghoul storylines in Bloodlines 1 are an homage to that. But I'd be surprised if there's room in the story and gameplay budget in Bloodlines 2 for more than one "deep" ghoul plotline. In today's thinking, I believe, fully fleshed out plots with werewolves and other vampires carry more weight than a good world building/WoD-explaining Ghoul plot. The Heather plotline in BL1 did really help add some context to being a vampire, but I wonder how much of that was player's familiar with WoD having their expectations fulfilled. Did it work for others who dropped in to WoD fresh? Did it have a real impact? I wonder.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 03:46:19 pm »

VtM:Bloodlines was my first exposure to World of Darkness at all.  It was a while ago, but I don't think I knew what to expect.  I certainly didn't know about ghouls.

The game actually introduces them with the seemingly mortally wounded human who needs you to recover the bomb.  He seems relatively normal, except somewhat supernaturally resilient.  Being a ghoul seems like a good gig, for him, or at least as good as being in the mafia or something.
But then it also shows you the creepy dude who's jonesing for vitae, to the point that he throws the masquerade out the window when he thinks you might be a vampire.  So it shows how the condition is a mindwarping addiction, not just a power.

After those intros, the Heather situation worked just fine for me as a story.  Like most players I did the "nice" thing, and then was faced with an... awkward moral question.  Like our character, it's an open question how much of the previous life survives the transformation into a night creature.
Of course, I didn't know that ghouls can *theoretically* be weaned off vitae.  But my character wouldn't know that either, and it's a horrifying process itself.

Yeah I think the game was a great intro to the concept :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 05:05:13 pm »

I'm just hoping that they have a few good deep side quests/stories rather than just a main quest and some fetch quests.

One of the things that really made the first one for me was that it almost wasn't clear what the 'main' quest was, and the side quests felt more meaningful than just ways to get a few rewards. It's one of the big things in modern gaming that I'd like to change - you often have this massive main quest and little side quests, whereas it'd be better to have a more moderate main quest with lots of more involved side quests (which impacted on the main story).
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:47 am »

Taken from a post someone made over on Reddit, here is a list of details that have been mentioned about the game so far:

Spoiler:  List (click to show/hide)

Some of these sound quite interesting like being able to scale buildings, larger human crowds and modding support. I also like the sound of secret and hidden areas and NPCs reacting to your background, though that last one reminds me of other games that do that by a few characters early on with a lot of these smaller details tapering off towards the end, VtMB1 being an example here funnily enough.
I suppose part of this would be determined by how long the game has been in development before it was announced. Preferably 2 years otherwise we might see some of these items listed drop off towards release.

There should be some interesting stuff for them to draw from 5th Edition. One thing I read was that there was a large Masquerade break and a lot of the more powerful people in the world now know that vampires and such exist. This could lead to the player having to deal with anti-vampire equipped military squads which would be neat, or dealing with humans who are in the know beyond ghouls or vampire hunters.

Another thing that people are discussing is how exactly they're going to have the player go from being a Thinblood to being of a clan.
My understanding was that Thinbloods were already part of a clan, they just had really weak powers and traits (going off the guys on the beach in the first game). Diablerie is one possible solution but that has quite a lot of taboo issues within the Camarilla and other groups, not mentioning it marks your characters aura with black veins and other potential side affects.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:19 am »

In the previous edition clanless vampires are caitiffs. Seems kind of weird. Clans are influenced by who sired you, so it seems odd that you'd start clanless then join a clan like clan weakness and disciplines are something taught rather than inherited. Thinbloods and caitiffs aren't totally interchangable but it seems like this game is treating them as so.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12