Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2  (Read 15870 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2019, 11:03:26 am »

The Dominate disciplines seems much more interesting from how it was in VtMB1. I think in the first game it mostly made people forget what was going on and was present more in dialogue then in actual gameplay. Command mentions being able to get NPCs to move obstacles as well as attacking people which puts to mind things like dominating a security guard to open a locked door and the like.
I hope it still is useful in dialogue a lot though, that's kind of what I would want it for.

Fortitude seems more interesting as well. Whereas previously it game additional points of soak (armour), in VTMB2 Absorb seems more like a counter ability and Personal Armour, while giving more defense, also allows for staggering which makes it more than just being able to stand there taking damage for longer.
There's something to be said for straightforward combat, though. A social-oriented clan is one I'd normally call a good choice for people who don't want to be jumping on the active ability cycle like an MMO. Fortitude, the one that helps you not die in a rough combat situation, is also a great discipline for people who aren't combat-oriented in their play priorities, since it gets you through whatever combat sequences you don't avoid with less requirement on the player's combat ability.

After the Ventrue, there's one other clan listed to be revealed still. The remaining clans are Gangrel, Nosferatu and Malkavian, unless they plan to add a clan that wasn't playable in the first game.
You mean there's one more non-DLC clan to be revealed. I'd say smart money (or at least, cynical money) is on Gangrel, since they've already got animal power type stuff in the game, even for the caitiffs, and it'll be a lot less work on them than the loads of unique dialogue options for malkavian, and the sewer areas and other stuff that Nosferatu need to get around the "your face is a masquerade violation" thing.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2019, 11:11:32 am »

I think that in Vampire V5 Nosferatu are no longer explicitly supernatural in their appearances, at least not brand new Nosferatu (older vampires always look more monstrous). Rather, they just look horribly ugly. So they would attract attention, but it might not be outright a Masquerade violation, although they do have a malus to attempts in disguising themselves as human.

The Gangrel specialty is shapeshifting as Nosferatu too can summon and control animals.

Of course, this is in the pen & paper RPG and might not be relevant for the computer game, despite both being done by the same company.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:22:51 am by Majestic7 »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2019, 11:43:52 am »

I think that in Vampire V5 Nosferatu are no longer explicitly supernatural in their appearances, at least not brand new Nosferatu (older vampires always look more monstrous). Rather, they just look horribly ugly. So they would attract attention, but it might not be outright a Masquerade violation, although they do have a malus to attempts in disguising themselves as human.

The Gangrel specialty is shapeshifting as Nosferatu too can summon and control animals.

Of course, this is in the pen & paper RPG and might not be relevant for the computer game, despite both being done by the same company.

I do remember something, maybe from Vampire: The Requiem, that Nosferatu don't necessarily need to look physically ugly. They can instead have a general aura of unsettlingness about them that puts people off.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2019, 12:23:23 pm »

I think V5 returns to the roots there, outright stating that they are fugly:

Bane
Hideous and vile, all Nosferatu
count as having the Repulsive
Flaw (-2) and can never increase
their rating in the Looks Merit. In
addition, any attempt to disguise
themselves as human incur a
penalty to your dice pool equal
to your character’s Bane Severity
(this includes the Obfuscate powers
Mask of a Thousand Faces and
Impostor’s Guise)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2019, 05:17:16 am »

I'd be fine with either. V5 or below is a lot more immediately and obvious, but I also like the lovecraftian horror of a fundamental and implacable wrongness to supernatural beings. I think the former may be more fun to play as, whilst the latter would be more interesting to encounter.

Going back and playing VtM: Bloodlines again, I'm wondering if they'll stick to the way humanity worked in dialogue. In Bloodlines low humanity could lock you out of certain dialogue options and force you to choose the more monstrous option. My 3-dot humanity character means I can't not be a dick most of the time (kinda forgot that being an asshole as a Toreador was a bad idea).

I can understand a gameplay argument that this is bad, taking away player choices, but thematically I do really like it and would love to see it expanded upon. 'A beast I am, lest a beast I become', if you let yourself give into the beast too often it should be a difficult thing to not become that beast.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:36:14 am by MorleyDev »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2019, 06:43:38 am »

I don't think I experienced much of the really low humanity dialogue restrictions in VtMB1 since low humanity was rather easy to avoid. I do like the mechanic where low humanity can cause you to frenzy more often when injured or low on blood around humans. I don't really mind having control taken away from me for such things a I see it as an RP opportunity and an unexpected situation I then need to resolve. Kind of like a mod I like for Skyrim which makes werewolf transformations unpredictable, "Moonlight Tales".

I suppose I don't really see it as taking away player choice, rather, replacing a choice with a different one. "You were planning to go to the corner store to buy some supplies, however you were thirsty and low on humanity so you grabbed a nearby human and drained them. Now you've got to hide from the police and put off your previous plans for the time being." It becomes something you can plan around, like having to spend money on blood packs so you don't get too low.

I do think if you get low humanity it should be harder to raise it back up. Like, it would take greater acts of compassion the lower you are.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2019, 08:43:34 am »

...although they do have a malus to attempts in disguising themselves as human.

I'd say that if you actively need a disguise attempt to look human, you really don't  8)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2019, 01:08:37 pm »

...although they do have a malus to attempts in disguising themselves as human.

I'd say that if you actively need a disguise attempt to look human, you really don't  8)

All vampires need to use the bloom of life vampire power to pass reliably for humans in V5. Nosferatu just have a malus to it. Basically, it makes the dead body function again, making it warm and provides heartbeat and so forth. Otherwise you might visually pass other than being pale, but you are cold an so forth.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2019, 11:29:10 pm »

The last of the listed clans to be revealed as been: Clan Malkavian.

Clan Introduction - Malkavian

Spoiler:  More Information (click to show/hide)
Also: Here's a link to the Bloodlines 2 website, where you can read all the information I've been posting yourself if you wish.

With this, that leaves Clans Nosferatu and Gangrel as potential DLC.

Here's an article from Rock Paper Shotgun that goes into a bit more detail. Apparently it is planned for Malkavians to have different dialogue and insights like in the first game. Something that the writer, Mitsoda, did all the writing for close to the first games production cycle once everything else had been finalized.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 04:46:39 am »

Aren't Gangrel as a clan no longer members of the Camerilla in V5?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2019, 11:48:06 pm »

A gameplay trailer has been released showing a number of moments involving combat, conversation, using disciplines and parts of a quest.

From this it's looking pretty good. I like the lighting and the environments are nicely done. The conversation tree seems to be quite similar to the first games with various options available to choose from on a scrollable menu rather than a choice wheel.
One criticism I see is people saying the lip-sincing is a bit stiff. I think it looked fine from what little we saw.
It kind of seems like combats got quick and power strikes, from the bit with the baseball bat.

The games got a release date for around the Q1 of 2020.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2019, 12:41:07 am »

The voice acting is just good enough to get it out of the "so bad it's good" category and up into normal bad. Graphically, it reminds me of Half Life 2 (which was considered graphically amazing... Fifteen years ago) with the shaders/lighting of Deus Ex. Based on production values alone, I can't see this being a game that does well with anyone except the people who were doing to buy it anyway. Which is a shame, it has the name recognition that it could have been a smash hit. I hope we can kill the VA and just use subs, since at least for me that would improve the game substantially over what's in the trailer, and I can't imagine they picked their worst acting for the showcase.

As for the gameplay itself, it looks good and fun; it's hard to say much about it based on what we saw, but everything we did see looked good. Unfortunately even if it's perfect, the presentation is going to form a bit of a hurdle limiting the experience. Financially, I suppose they hope to benefit from Cyberpunk 2077 boosting interest in gritty city gameplay.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:42:44 am by Cruxador »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2019, 02:02:46 pm »

My reaction was kinda meh.

Not a serious indictment. But melee looked pretty wooden/staged.

The powers are easily the coolest looking thing in the game we've seen so far.

I dunno. With half a year to go, I think I'd best wait until the trailers and teases a few months out from release. A lot of this still feels like WIP.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2019, 02:03:50 pm »

I agree that the game looks ugly. It doesn't bother me - I don't really play games for eyecandy - but it will hurt the sales. Especially as, whether they like it or not, they might be indirectly competing with Cyberpunk 2077. Or at least be compared to them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2019, 02:17:05 pm »

The graphical quality doesn't really bother me at all. I think it looks pretty decent. But it looks a little stark and empty.

Put another way, it looks like VTM:Bloodlines 1 with a new coat of paint, but it's got an empty look and feel to it. Like 3 bad guys standing around in a well textured but empty environment.

Haven't made up my mind about the voice acting yet, but man the bulk of that expository dialog was kinda bbbbbblllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccchhhhhhhhh. It sounds quirky like Bloodlines 1 sounded quirky, but maybe not in a good way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:26:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12