Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [44.12] Meph's Fortress Defense III - 60 civs to siege, trade, steal.  (Read 11526 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Meph's Fortress Defense III - 60 civs to siege, trade, steal.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 01:17:31 am »

I wouldn't mind if you'd drop your entity files on DFFD, to take a look: I used to tinker with the "aggression level" a lot, so I might figure out what the deal is.

Ok, so yeah... I'm stumped.

Since you and Taffer both released big updates, I've taken another stab at this with a new set of entities from this pack.  Things I've tried so far.

• I adjusted Elven values and ethics to make them more peace loving hippy types, with a twinge of dark circle of life-type outlook (creatures eat each other *shrug*).
  • Put much lower caps on standard & ally civs.
  • Added [CV_REMOVE_TAG:CARNIVORE] and [CV_REMOVE_TAG:BONECARN] to c_variation_default so no animal person can be subject to the bug regarding carnivore populations
  • Gave invaders more aggressive values
  • Increased population & cluster values for the relevant creature raws
  • Extremely generous site & biome accesses

Between all these measures, I managed to successfully reduce the amount of conflict between elves and everyone else.  This appears to have led to a slight increase in variety of conflict between all the other entities.  But also much less conflict in worldgen overall.

Successfully got a larger number of invader civs popping up, but almost no proportionate increase in overall populations.  They're still pitifully few in number, and I assume this is partly why they're so inactive.  With 5 invader entities each settling the same number of civs as everyone else, I can't get them to total more than 5% of total historical figures.

So here's a download, if you still want to try tinkering with it.

BTW, your equipment presets that you wrote up for your latest release are really useful for adding races like this to the game.  Thanks for that, and it's definitely a feature worth expanding on if you do anymore work on your mod in the future.  Although I should put some effort into making sure everything is size appropriate for the races I applied them to.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 02:20:08 pm »

Increased population & cluster values for the relevant creature raws

This doesn't affect civilizations, unfortunately. The only way to increase their population rates is probably giving them a low child age cap (the lower - the better) and/or a higher max age cap; there are no multiplets in worldgen, so the creatures with the highest amount of adult years are the ones most "fertile". Increasing the entity value of family also seems to work for HFs at least. [LIKES_SITE:default site type of this civ] + [TOLERATES_SITE:default site type of this civ] entity tokens also help.

I'll still probably take a look at a couple of worldgens.

BTW, your equipment presets that you wrote up for your latest release are really useful for adding races like this to the game.  Thanks for that, and it's definitely a feature worth expanding on if you do anymore work on your mod in the future.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
As far as the functional presets go, though, I don't really have any more ideas so far. May go the cultural flavor route (desert dudes with scimitars, island dudes with longbows, you know), but other than that, I dunno. Anything on your mind?

Although I should put some effort into making sure everything is size appropriate for the races I applied them to.

You can really just set everything to [MINIMUM_SIZE:15000] or even lower. These limits are there for realism's sake only - and, when merging with a mod such as Fortress Defense, are but an unnecessary handicap.

UPD: Checked the raws and, just as I thought, enemy entities lack any farming, as their raws are copied from goblins (who don't need to eat and, thus, don't care). Try giving them any or all of the following:
Code: [Select]
[INDOOR_FARMING]
[OUTDOOR_FARMING]
[INDOOR_GARDENS]
[OUTDOOR_GARDENS]
[INDOOR_ORCHARDS]
[OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS]

You can aslo give them one or both of these - appears to be buffing the coastal/river site populations:
[RIVER_PRODUCTS]
[OCEAN_PRODUCTS]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:53:07 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 05:43:32 pm »

Thanks for having a look!

Increased population & cluster values for the relevant creature raws

This doesn't affect civilizations, unfortunately. The only way to increase their population rates is probably giving them a low child age cap (the lower - the better) and/or a higher max age cap; there are no multiplets in worldgen, so the creatures with the highest amount of adult years are the ones most "fertile". Increasing the entity value of family also seems to work for HFs at least. [LIKES_SITE:default site type of this civ] + [TOLERATES_SITE:default site type of this civ] entity tokens also help.

I thought this was probably the case, but was trying anything I could think of.

BTW, your equipment presets that you wrote up for your latest release are really useful for adding races like this to the game.  Thanks for that, and it's definitely a feature worth expanding on if you do anymore work on your mod in the future.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
As far as the functional presets go, though, I don't really have any more ideas so far. May go the cultural flavor route (desert dudes with scimitars, island dudes with longbows, you know), but other than that, I dunno. Anything on your mind?

I agree with the flavor route.  Since I've learned a bunch digging through the raws, I'm probably going to take a shot at doing this myself.

I'm not sure how well the way DF's raws are set up allows for it, but instead of having races specifically set up as allies/invaders/etc, it would be cool to have animal people entities with behavior/ethics/values flavor matching the anthropomorphized personality of the animal and see what conflicts shake out on their own from that.  Going to take a shot at it.

Although I should put some effort into making sure everything is size appropriate for the races I applied them to.

You can really just set everything to [MINIMUM_SIZE:15000] or even lower. These limits are there for realism's sake only - and, when merging with a mod such as Fortress Defense, are but an unnecessary handicap.

It's those details that make Dwarf Fortress so interesting, though.

UPD: Checked the raws and, just as I thought, enemy entities lack any farming, as their raws are copied from goblins (who don't need to eat and, thus, don't care). Try giving them any or all of the following:
[INDOOR_FARMING]
[OUTDOOR_FARMING]
[INDOOR_GARDENS]
[OUTDOOR_GARDENS]
[INDOOR_ORCHARDS]
[OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS]

You can aslo give them one or both of these - appears to be buffing the coastal/river site populations:
[RIVER_PRODUCTS]
[OCEAN_PRODUCTS]

This is probably the big thing I've been missing.  Thanks!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 07:35:57 am »

Kinda sad to see this hasnt been updated. I really like using the animal people for more things in world gen in general.

In my ideal world, this and Taffer's "Revised" would both be in the vanilla game haha.

Anyone tried to revive this? or does it work as is without too many problems in 47.04?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:54:11 am by flyteofheart »
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 05:17:31 pm »

Meph, how you make more than one cavern civ?
Pages: 1 [2]