Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "1 tile wide corridor" discussion  (Read 2658 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
The "1 tile wide corridor" discussion
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:41:06 pm »

I've been doing some more adventuring recently, especially exploring a lot of underground structures, and I have to say, the procedurally generated one tile mazes in fortresses and dungeons lead to way more beautiful designs than an average player fortress and a big reason for that are indeed the one tile complicated hallways. So, I'm wondering. Can this aesthetic be efficiently be brought over to fortress mode? Can dwarves manage trafficking in 1 tile corridors and 1 tile stairways? Obviously the hallways do get wider in main areas, but more remote parts like bedrooms are accessed by 1 tile corridors.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "1 tile wide corridor" discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:41:12 am »

I haven't had any major problems with single tile corridors, even though I've move to use wider ones in most places. Yes, dorfs meeting in a single tile corridor have to pass by each other by climbing+crawling, which presumably slows them down marginally. The big danger is single tile wide corridors coupled with multiple paths, though, as that will cause the buggers to bump into each other and BOTH turn around to take an alternative path (in bad cases bump into each other along THAT route, turn around...). To add insult to injury, the pathing doesn't continue from the rerouted path, but rather back to the point where the bugger turned around, typically then doing a 180 degree turn to continue on along the original path.
There's some cutoff for the detour logic, though, as I've never seen detouring in my entrance tunnels even when they were single tile ones (and I had 3 of those, plus a caravan entry), but whether that's based on distance or it's dependent on returning to the surface is unknown by me.

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 02:25:35 pm »

... lead to way more beautiful designs ...

Examples, please! For inspiration!
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:53:08 am »

... lead to way more beautiful designs ...

Examples, please! For inspiration!

Not my fortress, however one of the prettier ones out there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:14 am »

The only downside to single wide hallways and what not is that dwarves have to climb over each other and it slows them down just a tad. If you're okay with that then go for it. May actually help with pathing on bigger forts, but you would need to do some science.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:10:29 am »

I don't think that this will be good for your framerate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:28:36 am »

IIRC, there was significant science a few years back, and 2-tile wide halls have superior resolution time with A* pathing algo, (at least with a well designed layout.)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 02:48:46 pm »

I've been doing some more adventuring recently, especially exploring a lot of underground structures, and I have to say, the procedurally generated one tile mazes in fortresses and dungeons lead to way more beautiful designs than an average player fortress and a big reason for that are indeed the one tile complicated hallways. So, I'm wondering. Can this aesthetic be efficiently be brought over to fortress mode? Can dwarves manage trafficking in 1 tile corridors and 1 tile stairways? Obviously the hallways do get wider in main areas, but more remote parts like bedrooms are accessed by 1 tile corridors.

Once upon a time, I used a 1 tile corridor entrance (DF2010, I think the version was 0.31.12 or the last one before the old towns and forest retreats were removed for like 3-4 years) and it caused a huge slowdown where all the dwarves had to crawl over each other. This was discussed in succession games like Boatmurdered, where even 4 tile corridors or something caused huge traffic jams.

I think these days, at least in fortress mode, it isn't so much of an issue because dwarves don't suffer so much slowdown. It probably happened when the movement system was changed, so you could set your speed in adventure mode and whatnot. I keep using 3 tile wide corridors but for residential areas where dwarves only go in and out to sleep, I believe a 1-tile corridor should be fine unless you're placing statues.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 03:46:09 pm »

I don't think that this will be good for your framerate.

It will if you also install a minecart for population control.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 03:54:30 pm »

Set a ballista to go off if the pressure plate is triggers 3x within 5 seconds--that would speed things along.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 04:19:08 pm »

I guess pathing issues and weird behaviors like the climbing over each other thing will be solved... eventually. Almost for sure not before the map rewrite.

I also like one tile corridors. Sometimes they look nice, sometimes they also make sense. I wish there wasn't this conflict between efficiency and aesthetics.