Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One Dwarf Fort  (Read 977 times)

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Dwarf Fort
« on: March 23, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »

Just had a Wererat sneak up on my 2nd year fort.  Three dwarf militia in iron armor was no match but brought down the beast with acceptable casualties.  Immediately got a migrant wave and thought, this won't be so bad...
Next month rolls around and it's a free for all.  Any dwarves left are either berserk or busy killing friends due to a loyalty cascade.  All but one.
My legendary miner was far outside the carnage when it started so I dug him a tunnel to the opposite side of the river.  Then when all the dwarves changed back I raised the bridge and put walls in the tunnels to completely cut off the only non-infected dwarf I have left.
This brings me to my question:
How long is it possible to run this fort as a one man operation?
I've got plenty of cut wood, plants and water.  If I enable all labors on one dwarf could I limp along for a while and build a new fort when the next migrant wave comes?
How do I get migrants to come to my new fort instead of heading to Wererat central?
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Fort
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 06:02:26 pm »

As long as you keep the miner safe and fed the fort will stand. Does your miner have access to seeds to set up a farm? Also you might want to make some slabs for anyone who died to prevent any naughty ghosts from harrassing the miner.

For large number of migrants you can use a series of meeting areas to guide them from point to point until they reach the desired location. For smaller number you can form them in a squad and move them around.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 02:46:32 am »

Given that you control the weres while they're in dwarf form you can order them to dig out a remote corner and then brick themselves in, leaving the rest of the embark to the fortress. You can even arrange for the weres to atom smash themselves.

It should be noted, though, that fortresses that have taken heavy casualties make migrants wary of moving to such a dangerous place, so it may take a while before anyone is prepared to brave the danger. For that reason it might be better to keep the weres bricked in until you're restocked the fortress with dorfs.

It should be possible to run a fortress with a single dorf, but everything takes a long time to do, and you'd probably have to micro manage it by enabling and disabling jobs, or the bugger would spend the time doing something unimportant (like manually hauling rocks to a stockpile rather than the things that actually need to be done in a timely manner). Stress becomes an issue after a while, as pining for friends (which probably have never existed unless one of the starting 7) or family (which the buggers are are completely incompetent at acquiring) may send the dorf into madness (unless mooded, as mooding protects against insanity, so there'd only be tantruming and/or oblivious stumbling from time to time).

Carfter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 04:55:25 pm »

If you do decide to go along with the one dorf fort post some updates here. as stated everything takes ages but there's something entertaining about having one "Super-Dwarf."