Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Merchants left instead of unloading  (Read 2992 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Merchants left instead of unloading
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:45:59 pm »

My fort has been running for a while now. I came back to it after a long absence and everything was going fine. Spring came. Human merchants and a diplomat arrived. As soon as the first wagon made it to my depot, they all started leaving. No message or anything.

I haven't been able to find info on this. What's happening here?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants left instead of unloading
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:11 pm »

Happened to me before, too.
Something upset them. A trader got in a fight, or scared by a bird, or sneezed too hard.
Has also happened to me when I had a dump zone overlapping the depot.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:14:21 pm »

Well, I still have the seasonal save. Maybe I'll just rewind back to that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:42:19 am »

Something scaring a merchant, typically gobbo bits lying around. This has been improved considerably so they usually don't bolt at the sight of half a goblin tooth as they used to. Scared merchants typically result in a pile of junk scuttled by the merchant in question. I've also had a trader get into a fight with a dorf after arguing, causing them to leave. None of these things result in announcements. For scuttling you'd have to scour the map for piles of stuff, while you'd have to go through the conflict reports to find any merchants fighting.
Wildlife can also scare merchants, although merchant guards seem to be able to fight without the merchants getting scared (unless the merchants notice/get involved).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:14:21 pm »

had that a lot. it happened to each and every caravan on my volcano embark.
make sure your trade depot is underground or at least inside.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 09:46:23 am »

Something scaring a merchant, typically gobbo bits lying around. This has been improved considerably so they usually don't bolt at the sight of half a goblin tooth as they used to. Scared merchants typically result in a pile of junk scuttled by the merchant in question. I've also had a trader get into a fight with a dorf after arguing, causing them to leave. None of these things result in announcements. For scuttling you'd have to scour the map for piles of stuff, while you'd have to go through the conflict reports to find any merchants fighting.
Wildlife can also scare merchants, although merchant guards seem to be able to fight without the merchants getting scared (unless the merchants notice/get involved).
Huh, the merchants in my game must be uniquely badass. I've had merchants whose guards died who then go on to kill a werebeast for me, then continue on to trade like nothing ever happened (and then transform into a werebeast and fuck me over, but that's aside from the point.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:30:34 am »

It's not the merchant guards that are skittish, it's the merchants themselves (including the animal ones). The guards behave as mercs, or possibly a bit better.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:56:54 pm »

I recently had wagon explode while I was watching the caravan leave at a low FPS. I was watching because there was a were-mongoose chasing a group of wild boars. The were-mongoose was failing to get close enough to attack the boars, but one of the boars did a "run in terror" and apparently triggered the horse (maybe because the boar was already in a conflict?) and the horse responded:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the gamelog.txt, there were no other attacks during the time the horse started and ended the fight, not from the merchants or caravan guards, and not from the were-mongoose (who did catch a boar shortly afterwards). I am not certain, but believe the wagon exploded as soon as the horse attacked.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:41:29 am »

i got no clue what happened to cause it, but upon reaching the trade depot, they immediately left and i got lots of their goods and a wagon corpse has been processed in my butchery... no fight records though.
so did the wagon die of old age upon reaching my depot?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 11:31:04 am »

and a wagon corpse has been processed in my butchery
That's a red flag right there. Wagons are supposed to drop wagon wood logs, not corpses.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »

i got no clue what happened to cause it, but upon reaching the trade depot, they immediately left and i got lots of their goods and a wagon corpse has been processed in my butchery... no fight records though.
The raws specify wagons are not butcherable, and list no body parts that could be recovered from a butcher's shop.

So something exceedingly unusual is going on. Check your combat reports. Wagons that die of fear will tend to leave you three wagon wood logs, not a corpse to be butchered.

Have you done any modding?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 04:24:38 am »

The raws specify wagons are not butcherable, and list no body parts that could be recovered from a butcher's shop.

So something exceedingly unusual is going on. Check your combat reports. Wagons that die of fear will tend to leave you three wagon wood logs, not a corpse to be butchered.

then they didn't get butchered, i just assumed it by the wagon wood logs i found. do they just die of fear instantly? Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Toady?!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 08:44:45 am »

then they didn't get butchered, i just assumed it by the wagon wood logs i found. do they just die of fear instantly? Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Toady?!
Pretty much.

Instead of deciding to attack their enemy, or flee from it, they explode. You get a wagonload of free stuff that you can use, but the rest of the caravan runs away. So you can't trade. You can sell the free stuff to other caravans, but not the same caravan, because it's marked as stolen.

ie: if a human caravan spooks and leaves you with a bunch of human-sized stuff you can't use, you can sell it to the Elves and dwarves, but not the humans. Unless you launder the goods by decorating them with jewels or something.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 10:52:18 am »

Technically they die because they depend on the animals pulling them. The animals are the ones getting spooked.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 04:02:14 am »

"laundering" the goods is no option to me as it would include tracking those items and making sure none of them slips through.
if i ever traded a stolen good from the humans to a human caravan, would they leave immediately too or what would happen?
Pages: [1] 2