Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emergency Burrow lagged from jobs  (Read 583 times)

coyohti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Emergency Burrow lagged from jobs
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:54:29 pm »

Hello! I am looking for a solution to an issue I'm having with my emergency burrow.

When I enable the alert everyone successfully drops what they are doing and heads to the burrow - great! But then they all keep trying to do their jobs and my game grinds down to 4fps (calculation) as they take jobs and drop them.

Is there some way to suspend work for all my civilians while scrambled to the emergency burrow? Or some other solution?

Thank you~!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Burrow lagged from jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:23:29 am »

I apply some of four methods to reduce the problem.
- expand the burrow to include the area where the job items are
- mass forbid items
- disable stockpiles to prevent dwarfs from attempting to haul items to them (usually this is the act of setting a wood stockpile to accept from links only, since wood from the surface is often a cause of the messages)
- use Dwarf Therapist to disable hauling for many or all dwarfs
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:20:35 am »

My main methods are largely the same:
1. The civ alert burrows all include the fortress, with each excluding only the relevant part of the outside (surface, cavern 1, etc.), which means most activities can continue normally.
2. d-b-f over the complete surface (when it's a surface threat), i.e. mass forbid all items on the surface. This takes care of logs and the bodies and items of visitors that dropped dead on arrival.

Also note that the buggers often DON'T drop what they're carrying. When building walls in the caverns to block them off and something nasty arrives, make sure to suspend the building jobs for the parts where dorfs are hauling boulders BEFORE enabling the civ alert, or the buggers will move towards safety at a snail's pace hugging that precious boulder (and carry it away from the building site).
If a dorf is hauling things to a stockpile that end up outside of the burrow you'll be rewarded with very high rate cancellation spam as the bugger tries to haul the item carried to the stockpile, decides he can't, drops the job, tries to haul the item carried... without ever dropping the item.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:09:56 pm »

The "standing orders" menu can temporarily disable entire classes of hauling jobs (e.g. wood hauling).

coyohti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:34:29 pm »

Thanks everyone! This gives me a variety of things to try.  ^_^