Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Notes on socializing and relationships  (Read 1966 times)

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Notes on socializing and relationships
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:44:12 pm »

Two scripts that helped me with testing socialization and relationships:

Watching relationship metrics:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171707.msg7835921#msg7835921

Removing relationships (not reversible):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A couple of notes from various tests and watching rank values here:
gui/gm-editor df.historical_figure.find(unit.hist_figure_id).info.relationships.list

1) Relations are formed the first time a unit is idle or socializing next to another unit*
2) When a relationship rank hits 15, a friendship or grudge is formed, depending on compatibility.
3) When the rank is around 40, if the units are friends and are romantically inclined, they become lovers. I've seen 31-42 so far, probably influenced by one or more personality facets.
4) When the rank hits 50, and the units are lovers, they can get married.
5) Talking to grudges can really spike a unit's stress level (700+ per day), depending on personality.
6) Socializing units can increase rank with busy adjacent units if they don't move. I tested pumpstacks, libraries, and temples.

* - It doesn't look like units socialize with same tile or diagonally adjacent units. Only N,S,E,W adjacent units show increases in rank.

I'm sure I'm skipping over or unaware of any number of subtleties here.
Edit - 20190327:
- Looks like I made a mistake in testing. It's not same square AND N,S,E,W. It's ONLY N,S,E,W adjacent tiles.
Edit - 20190328: The rank at which dwarves become lovers isn't static.
Edit - 20190401: Socialization can occur with same tile and diagonally adjacent units, but ONLY when there is a unit in a NSEW adjacent position. When that condition is met, socialization happens with every dwarf in a 3x3 grid centered on the socializing dwarf. Put another way: Socialization is a 1 tile omnidirectional interaction, but requires a unit in a NSEW adjacent tile to activate.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:53:01 pm by fortunawhisk »