Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resolution/Graphics problem  (Read 2814 times)

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Resolution/Graphics problem
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:02 am »

Hey guys, i'm trying really hard to play Masterwork since i started DF some weeks ago with LNP. Love the options and customization of MWDF but i thought i would have an easier time making the game look good, just like i got with LNP.

Here i have two screenshots with the same MEPH tileset.

LNP:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Masterwork:

Do you guys see the huge difference? It's unplayable for me right now. The resolution and graphics simply look terrible compared to what i was used so far. Anyone knows what is causing this? And how can i fix it?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resolution/Graphics problem
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:43:42 pm »

Just going into the LNP files I was able to figure out that what LNP uses is meph's vanilla tileset based on Vordak's work, which is a completely different thing from what is used for masterwork.

It is possible that one day vordak's work and meph's tileset will come to the masterwork pack, but with meph working on the steam release I doubt it will be any time soon (there are quite a lot more items and creatures that need to be included).

I admit that vordak's work and meph's recent tileset look great, but if that's a deal breaker for you I would say to stay with LNP for now and maybe check every few months to see if masterwork got an update (at all and for that in particular).

(the time consuming alternative would be to work for many hours trying to bring vordak's and meph's work to masterwork yourself, but that's a pretty massive undertaking so good luck if you want to try it)
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 04:34:19 pm »

Thanks for the answer. Got it.

But is this resolution 'normal' in masterwork? This is what you get when you play it? The screenshots i got from the Meph's tileset alone looks way better than this one i posted here, like something is forcing my game to behave in a huge and ugly resolution.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 07:48:34 am »

The funny thing is that for a lot of us it isn't exactly "huge and ugly", it certainly looks worse than the "best and latest" but for those that started playing dwarf fortress when there were barely any tileset, even the phoebus or ironhand tilesets were a revolution when they were first released.
The next big thing was "text will be text" because it allowed tilesets to really go all out on the textures because it would no longer affect the text.
Various people including Meph worked year after year to make things better and better looking, and one of the latest examples is what Vordak made.

For the "huge", you always have the option of zooming out or picking a smaller, but I guess the core is that most people play dwarf fortress (and masterwork) for the gameplay first, tileset help to understand what everything is and it's obviously a plus when it looks good but it is more like good looking icing on a great cake.

That being said, vanilla already has plenty of content, and LNP includes most of the third party tools you would want, so as long as you don't specifically want masterwork's content it is not a bad idea to pick vanilla (through LNP) with the reason that it looks better.
Like you said on the other topic you are new to DF, so it's likely that you still have a lot to discover with vanilla DF, and in a few months (and quite a few forts) you might decide that you want a change, through masterwork or other mods/packs, enough to not mind the simpler tilesets (or maybe new tilesets will have reached mods at that point, this new type of tileset is still very new after all).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:22:36 am »

Friend, I'm not criticizing DF or MW in any way, I'm trying to understand if there's a problem with the mod in my PC. I may have started only for weeks now, but i literally spent every free time i had on the game and can say without a doubt that i have a pretty good understand and grasp of everything. I played enough of the Vanilla, dozens of fortress and done everything i wished for. Now i do want a change through Masterwork. About the "best and latest", that is my doubt. If I'm not wrong, Masterwork latest patch is newer than LNP. That's why I'm so troubled about the huge graphical difference on the same tileset.

I just want to play Masterwork with graphics as good as LNP. That's all.

Could you post some screenshots of the mod on your pc for comparison?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:33:23 am by Yg0r »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:00:52 pm »

Didn't you post in the other thread that it was fixed now?

Thanks for the answers, guys. Did what you told me and the font problem is gone (specially because of the smaller AutoReiv one).
 « Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:45:21 am by Yg0r »

Just try a different text tileset? I was a bit wrong about the 8x8 or 9x9, I forgot mephs tilesets are 32x instead of 16x so yeah 16x should be small enough for the text. If that doesn't work, you have a working d_init from the LNP just copy and paste that over to masterwork.

\Dwarf Fortress\data\init d_init + init files. Maybe that'll help and bring over the phoebus text tileset, but I don't see why that would be necessary, if that doesn't work you could try to reinstall maybe something went wrong? I forget what can cause those boxes, varied grasses? idk. You know it may just be that meph didn't copy over all of his creature graphics? That and different biomes in your 2 pictures.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:04:00 pm by LeoCean »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:34:15 pm »

Here is what it looks like with the AutoReiv and Meph's 16x16:

It has smaller tiler compared to the 32x32 but the rest is the same (meaning that you still have coloured background behind units and plants unlike what the LNP can do).

And I'm not saying you criticize the game or the mod/pack, just that the tileset you want is not available for this and it is unlikely to be ready for it in the near future as Meph is working on the steam release of dwarf fortress.
With that in mind, you can either decide to wait (no ETA obviously but anything DF-related takes forever so I wouldn't expect it before next year unless Meph suddenly has free time and decides to spend it on this), accept a less beautiful tileset (the closest would be meph's 16x16) or dive headfirst into making the tileset compatible (a big undertaking especially if you never did anything like this but you can expect help on the how-to from meph and probably others, and you'll gain a lot of thanks when you manage to do it).

Yg0r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:10 am »

Didn't you post in the other thread that it was fixed now?

About the fonts, yeah.

I'll try that with the init, thanks!

Here is what it looks like with the AutoReiv and Meph's 16x16:

Thanks, slay. I wish i had the time to do something like this. Right now my life is just a couple of hours per day where i'm too tired to do anything but some distraction (like DF).