Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll of the Unspecified Amount of Time: Quan's chances of survival?

0.000%
- 1 (16.7%)
1.1%
- 0 (0%)
5%
- 1 (16.7%)
25%
- 1 (16.7%)
50%
- 1 (16.7%)
100%
- 2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Dark Fortress: Reign of the Blackened [6/6]  (Read 30352 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Fortress: Reign of the Blackened [9/9]
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2019, 10:27:24 am »

Turn 20

Morning [1]

Quinn Learner

[1] Quinn picked up the bag and stowed it, then enter the tavern. "Murderer!", "He murdered Illraniur!", "Get him, quick!" people screamed and charged! An enormous warrior in nothern armor weilding a runic war axe, a lanky mystic in southern robes, the innkeeping maiden, an eastern knight with a claymore and a peasant with a pitchfork - everyone charged!

[Axeman: 4, 1, 3, 5] [Sorcerer: 6, 3, 5, 4] [Maiden: 6, 6, 1, 6] [Knight: 5, 6, 3, 2] [Peasant: 1, 5, 6, 6] | [Quinn: 5, 3, 1, 2] [Tarlord: 6, 4, 6, 3]

Before Quinn could even react, they were all right in front of him and ready to strike, but the spawn of the tar lord left the shield and spewed a nova of tar, sparks and fire, lightly burning and pushing away anyone except for the maiden, who managed to block the attack!

"I am still not strong enough!" screeched the tar spawn!

Alzar

[4] Alzar knew he could not challenge the ghoul while the chill of night still held a firm grip on him, but he could stall for time so the sun could rise and warm him up. He focused on dodging the ghouls’s onslaught and keeping away from the cloud of fog, for fear it would further chill him and leave him truly helpless. Luckily for him, the rays of the rising sun penetrated the fog and reached its dreadful master, dispersing it and banishing the monstrosity till the next night!

Quan

[6] Quan tried to get out of the wyvern's grasp and climb on its back, but he couldn't grab it well due to the slippery ichor and started falling! Luckily for him, his leap had perfect timing and he landed on a thick, absorbing layer of hay... in wyvern's nest!

[5] "Ah, so you have finally arrived!" an old man in charred robes with a chest long beard greeted him. "I am sorry for the sudden inconvenience of your flight, but the Bleak Fortress has a certain request for the knight you are travelling with. Please, give him this map and letter, it will explain everything. We have a chamber prepared specially for you, with a little token of gratitude awaiting you there." with that said, the man brought Quan to his chamber.

The room was small and cozy, it had a bed, a table with several dishes that were just prepared and it had a small window from which and entire southern part of the valley could be seen. There was a little bundle and a set of armor laying on the bed. "When you finish resting, the wyvern would take you back to your companion." the old man said when leaving the chamber.

Havoc

"So I have a choice between somewhere that is temporary safe or sunshine and rainbows. Like my luck is ever that good.

[4] Havoc took the staircase that led back to the valley, using his ambush detection to check the path for traps. "Very well." the voice said. The path ahead of you is not laid out with enemies nor traps. It leads to a safe spot, which once exited cannot be entered again from outside the cavern. You will find a little trinket that will aid you in your efforts there. Good luck!"

Rainer Edmunton

[4] Rainer looked up, and for a moment he could see the disappearing remnants of heavenly light that formed a visage of Nix. Then he saw that the night is over and it's dawn already.

Morion

[4] The mustic pondered how he could be able to use his current magic to create new spells. As he focused and gained more energy, he noticed that the pieces of the ruby he found earlier started fusing together, to create a larger piece. He also noticed that the bigger piece was shaking, then saw more pieces coming out of the spots he was unable to search. After the ruby assembled whole, he could mend it or even turn it into other gems! After a moment Morion figured out what happened. It was not just a new spell, it was an entire new type of magic!

Enemies

Fog Ghoul: Banished

Axeman: -8 HP[88/96]
Sorcerer: -8 HP [24/32]
Knight: -8 HP [120/128]
Peasant: -8 HP [16/24]
Maiden: [32/32]

Players

Quinn: Received Bag of Holding.
Quan: Received a Map and a Letter to Rainer.
Morion: New Ability = Transformation - Summon pieces of broken item and repair it, or change it into another item of the same type.

GM Notes

The Tower event starts next turn.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2019, 11:10:03 am »

What- he tried to kill me, what else could I do?!?
Defend myself; try not to harm these people, and attempt to talk them down from their hostility.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2019, 12:56:49 pm »

Quan takes a look at the armor and the bundle gift, and of course enjoys the meal and bed, he is very grateful for such kindness
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2019, 08:03:59 pm »

Venture forwards and look for magic!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2019, 04:07:39 am »

”Thank you, lord Nix.”

Loot what the monsters left behind.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2019, 08:24:38 pm »

Keep moving and keep eyes open for the trinket mentioned.

My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2019, 08:55:46 pm »

with the light of the sun warming and invigorating him, Alzar resumed his journey westward to seek his kin.. and maybe a meal or two, if he could find some game to catch.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2019, 01:01:10 pm »

Turn 21

Morning [2]

An unbelievably bright stream stream of light stroke the Bleak Fortress, illuminating the entire valley for split second. Despite it being daylight already, several stars were still shining with an unusual strength. If one connected each of these with lines, they would form a great, sturdy tower.

Quinn Learner

What- he tried to kill me, what else could I do?!?

[Quinn: 4 +2] | [Maiden: 2 +2] [Axeman: 6 +2] [Sorcerer: 5 +2] [Knight: 3 +2] [Peasant: 4 +2]

Quann tried to persuade the attackers that he was acting in self defense. The Knight and the Maiden believed him, the Sorcerer remained sceptical and the Axeman went berserk!

[Axeman: 2] | [Sorcerer: 6 +2]

The warrior with the war axe charged at the nearby person - the magician, but the man managed to summon a familiar which blocked the attack and stopped him. However, he charged too much energy for the spell and the creature he brought forth was a Horker! It is impossible to control a demon of this power without a ritual or a blood pact!

[Horker: 4] | [Axeman: 6 +2] [Quinn: 5 +2] [Sorcerer: 4 +2] [Maiden: 2 +2] [Knight: 6 +2] [Peasant: 2 +2]

The demon in its rage unleashed a powerful nova of fire! Despite being right in the center of it and getting half of his body burnt, the Axeman still lived due to the berserk stance! The Sorcerer used a water shield to protect himself, while Quinn was completely fireproof due to his allegiance with Tar. The Knight used a charm that only made it uncomfortably hot for him, but was still knocked on the ground. The Peasant and the Maiden managed to hide behind the counter just in time, as their lowly armaments and protection wouldn't stand a chance against the Horker's might!

Quan

[3 +2] Quan inspected the armor - it seemed that it was a set of enchanted chain mail strengthened with leather, offering great mobility and decent protection. He could feel that the enchantment placed on it was beneficial, granting him protection from anything that he may encounter in the Valley! Then he unwrapped the bundle. There were twin daggers inside it, one enchanted with fire and the other with frost.

[5] Then he proceeded to feast and rest, tasting the exquisite dishes the fortress had to offer - birds with meat so soft and tender it dissolved in his mouth, as well as many fruits common and exotic. The bed was covered with red silk and had numerous eastern engravings on the shiny wooden surface. It had the most comfortable mattress he had ever lied on, and he felt that it was enchanted to provide an excellent night's rest.

Morion

[5 +2] Morion left the cottage with Darkfang following right behind him. The mystic felt a curious tingling in his nose, as if he could smell the enrgies left by different unknown phenomena. But the scent was everywhere, so he looked at the morning sky and saw that the still visible, extraordinarily bright stars formed a shape of a Tower. He marveled for a moment, then thought about a way to copy this incredible phenomena, and the stars granted Morion his wish! A stream of energy flowed into him from the sky and he realized that he could grant himself or his companions the powers of The Tower for short periods of time hereafter!

Rainer Edmunton

”Thank you, lord Nix.” whispered Rainer, then proceeded to loot the remaining left by the monsters.

[3 +2] The knight checked the trail left behind by the swarm of the dark wraiths. He found several crystals with the dark energy still flowing within them, as well as an unusual sword forged out of a purple, matt alloy. It had a hilt of bone with a tooth placed in its gem socket. He felt that the blade drained life energy of everythin around him and channeled it into his body, so he quickly sheathed it in a scrap of wool that belonged to one of the swarm's victims.

Havoc

[3 +2] Havoc kept moving until he reached a moldy trapdoor. It moved with some effort, but he finally found himself in a lavishly decorated chamber, in the middle of which was a pedestal with an eagle shaped pendant. In an instant, he heard it speaking to him: "Feast thine eyes upon this room, for you will never see it again. Take me and I shall grant you the flight of an eagle until the fog settles upon the land. You will be able to fly again then, when the birds awake." it said. Without any further thought, Havoc picked it up and put on his neck, then the doors to the valley opened, unleashing countless sparks which pushed him out.

Alzar

[2 +2] Alzar continued westwards, nostalgic for the sight of his scaly kinsmen. He heard his stomach rumbling loudly and decided to hunt some game. Just when he was about to hide in the bushes, he heard someone calling him. A tall and enormously wide knight in a full plate armor, and his shield bore a visage of a snapping turtle: "Oi traveller! Judging by the looks, you must be coming from a land far far away! Care to tell me what brings you here while having a nourishing meal?" said the knight, unwrapping a bundle with bread, fresh fruits and dried jerky. "No need to fear me! I Louise of Teuntaliyu seek no enemies within this already accursed land!"

Enemies:

Horker: [256/256]

Players:

Quan: Received - Chain of the Stars, Twin Daggers of the Opposite, Status - Well Fed, Well Rested;
Morion: New Ability - Tower's Defense;
Rainer Edmunton: Received - Dark Crystal [x4], Blood Leech;
Havoc: Received: Pendant of the Silver Eagle;

GM Notes

The Tower event has begun! 5 turns of the event left [1/6]

Spoiler: Quan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Morion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rainer Edmunton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Havoc (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2019, 01:06:36 pm »

Ok, Horker = bad. Rally the people here, and let’s kill the damned thing, or at least stop it from doing anything.
I suspect that encasing it in a solid and thick shell of tar would be quite helpful for immobilizing it.

Maybe once that’s done, we can do a proper ritual to make sure it can’t do any more harm and we can get on with our day.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:53:27 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »

”I am but a wanderer, separated from my tribe by slavers. I seek to cross this bleak expanse to the far side, in hopes of finding my kin. Sadly there is little to keep myself oriented in this wasteland, and my flight from the slavers, followed by a monster of the night, has left me wonder how far I have run, and in what direction.”
Alzar would use his cloak to conceal his face, but would willingly approach the knight and accept his invitation to eat.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2019, 03:59:29 pm »

With nothing better to do, loot more stuff.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2019, 05:29:11 pm »

i go tell the tower master that i am ready to depart and thank him greatly for his kindness
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2019, 09:31:13 pm »

"Flight? Maybe my luck is finally turning around

Leave the shelter, activate the charm and try out flying taking a look around for any interesting places nearby and head over to check them out
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:12:41 pm by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2019, 02:21:01 pm »

Continue wandering towards the more powerful regions of this place. As I wander, summon Darkfang and discuss its Darkball ability, see if I can learn to replicate it with my own power.

...I just realized I'm turning into a serious glass cannon. (No Glass puns intended) I guess I might as well double down on being so absurdly dangerous to approach that nobody tries to do so.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2019, 02:53:58 pm »

Turn 22

Day [1]
The Tower [1]

Quinn Learner

[Quinn: 6] [Maiden: 5] [Axeman: 4] [Sorcerer: 6] [Knight: 4] [Peasant: 4] | [Horker: 2 +2]

Quinn rallied all the people to fight on his side against the demon! While the tavern patrons distracted it, the black archivist started building up tar all around the demon. It was almost starting to work, but the foolish sorcerer tried to hasten the process by adding his energy to the tar, obliterating it and giving the demon a fire frenzy!

[Horker: 6 +2] | [Peasant: 4 +2] [Knight: 3 +2] [Sorcerer: 6 +2] [Axeman: 1 +2] [Maiden: 1 +2] [Quinn: 2 +2]

The frenzied monstrosity started spewing fireballs all around the tavern, but everyone managed to escape from the building just in time! After a short moment, two horkers appeared in the flames.

Alzar

”I am but a wanderer, separated from my tribe by slavers. I seek to cross this bleak expanse to the far side, in hopes of finding my kin. Sadly there is little to keep myself oriented in this wasteland, and my flight from the slavers, followed by a monster of the night, has left me wonder how far I have run, and in what direction.”

[6] Alzar used his cloak to conceal his face, but willingly approached the knight and accepted his invitation to eat. Upon getting closer, he noticed that there was some foul play in this encounter, and immediately the illusion burst like a fragile soap bubble! It was a dread knight in golden plate with long withered hair, the one from the many nightmarish fairytales Alzar overheard in his childhood! He could not remember the creature's name though...

[1] "Do not hide your face mortal, I can see through your soul!" it yelled and charged!

[Dread Knight ?: 6] | [Alzar: 3 +2]

The lizardman just barely managed to parry the lightning fast assault! Suddenly they both heard a voice coming from above: "Kupameth! Do not waste your time on lowly fleshlings! Seek the messenger of the Bleak Fortress!" and so the dread knight dispersed immediately!

Rainer Edmunton

[2 +2] Searching for more useful items, Rainer moved into the forests where he found the Sun Stones - a huge flat stone with four pedestals indicating the directions of North, East, South and West, a place where pagans used to call spirits of elements to gain their favor. As soon as he approached it, a Spirit of Water spawned in the middle of the circle and summoned four water crystals. Then it gently placed each of the crystals on the pedestals and disappeared. Rainer heard that there was a legend associated with the Sun Stones, but he couldn't remember what.

Quan

[1] Quan was just about to head to the tower master to say that he's ready to move, but suddenly he noticed a withered undead in a golden armor looking through the window. "Where to look for the tower's messenger if not in the tower hehehehe!" the creature cackled and burst inside the chamber!

[1] "Tis best for the letter you have to never reach whomever it is addressed to!" the undead cackled and charged!

[Dread Knight Kupameth: 5] | [Quan: 2 +2]

The monster was so fast that Quan couldn't completely dodge and was scratched by the unholy blade! He noticed that the skin around the scratch seemed older than the rest of his body.

Havoc

"Flight? Maybe my luck is finally turning around." Havoc thought.

[1] Havoc left the shelter and moved out unwary of his surroundings, and started falling straight into a pit of boiling tar!

[1 +2] He desperately tried to activate the charm and he managed to do so just before falling in!

[2 +2] He flied higher to see from above if there is anything interesting in this place, and spotted a nest of implings within the charred, sulphurous land.

[5 +2] Havoc flied closer and the little demons shrieked instantly: "He who fly! We implings greet! A gift we give!" one of the little fiends opened a chasm to a hidden dimension and took out a red-hilted sword with a charred blade, then gave it to Havoc. "Gift! A friend gift!" the demons screeched in unison.

Morion

[1] Morion decided to move towards regions containing more power, but it didn't take him long. In fact, the powerful regions reached out to him on their own, making a powerful mass of flesh and severed limbs run straight towards him, corrupting everything around it!

[The Flesh: 5] | [Morion: 5 +2]

The mystic managed to jump away in time for the mass of flesh to miss him and far enough for the corruption to not affect him!

Enemies:

Dread Knight Kupameth: [512/512]
The Flesh: [256/256]

Horker: [128/128]
Horker: [128/128]

Players

Havoc: Demonlurker Sword

GM Notes

Demonlurker Sword - a charred blade with an odd red hilt.
[48 Physical Damage, 24 Fire Damage, 12 Dark Damage, Fire Immunity, Increases Corruption by 1 with every kill]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:06:30 pm by Dark One »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15