Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ≡Mortal Castle≡ v1.0 [44.12] (My First Mod)  (Read 3512 times)

Nirekin

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:novice predisposition
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
≡Mortal Castle≡ v1.0 [44.12] (My First Mod)
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:48:06 pm »

---
Foreword

Mortal Castle is my first mod that I have made, it isn't that great nor ground-breaking in any sort of way, but it is my first step in getting into modding. And with that said, one should always be on the lookout for the bugs and broken stuff that my dabbling skills would inevitably leave. Although Adventure Mode has been tried and tested, it isn't all that perfect, especially when it comes to Fortress mode.

If you see any problems, please don't be shy to message me!

(I credit people and explain some other stuff in the READMEPLS.txt file, please check it out)
---
Now what this mod adds isn't much, since the focus of the whole thing was to replace the 3 main races with Human factions (inspired from real-life Human cultures), so this does mean that there would be no Dwarves and of their fortress and hillocks. The snobby Elves and the thieving Goblins and Kobolds are also non-existent as well, replaced by Human (almost) counterparts.

Now the factions in mind are as listed:

Imperials
[Adventure]
[Fortress]
The Imperial Culture is one of valiancy, courage in the face of death and heroism under the light of evil. The Imperials are natural-born militarymen, priding themselves as an enlightened society, while their soldiers exercise the art of unwavering discipline and their siege machines a signature of Imperial warfare. The Imperial Culture features the venerable Scutum/ae, a shield unrivaled in it's ability to block attacks. The Battering Spike siege machine is another prided equipment, slow but resistant and extremely useful in military engagements. The Imperial citizens are also naturally courageous, and would commonly stand their ground in surely deadly situations. (which often presents not only a problem individually, but to the whole of their society).

(note: The Imperials also have their own unique language set (made by me), although at this stage, it is only 60% complete and would be updated along the way when I add more cultures.)
-
Xinais
[Adventure]
[Fortress]
The elegant Xinai, one of the other venerable cultures, unlike the previously mentioned Imperials; the Xinai are a less-warfare acquainted society. Priding themselves in a more knowledgeable field, the Xinai are gifted philosophers in the conventional fields of theory, and they are also masterful weavers, their silk production a respectable and enviable industry. Not only that however, but they have also mastered the secrets of gunpowder, which benefits their culture by being blessed with their new weapon of war, guns.
-
Kuraks
[Adventure]
[Fortress]
Men of the mountains, the Kuraks are a hardy lot. They claim descendance from the spirits of the mountain-tops, who have gifted their ancestors the ability to be able to navigate the rocky terrain with ease. Although crude, they are quite explosive and easily able to spread throughout the realms and challenge the other "higher" cultures in warfare and conflict. As is, they are not only natural climbers, but adept bowmen as well. Due to these traits, they are often widespread.
-
Norslavs
[Adventure]
The wild Norslavs, second only to the Venirs in savagery; the Norslavs are the staple of the tundras and the cold. Pale and fair-haired as they come, the Norslavs are men who have sufficely adapted to their malnourished and harsh environment. Which inevitably gives them an advantage in melee combat. Their people are also gifted Axe-users, with their Vikingr art of war being the most venerated asset of their untamed society.
-
Zabizis
[Adventure]
Refined and relatively antiquated, the Zabiz are a unique society, a culture of able potters and colourful dancers; their culture commonly revolves around the raw beauty of their harsh tribal world. Which shows as they are not only quite expert in the art of molding and dancing but as well as showing admirable aspects in their traditional percussion instruments.
-
Quetzals
[Adventure]
The Quetzals are the spiritual natives of the land, whose ways are now facing unprecedented replacement by the other societies. Living in tree tops and forest retreats; the Quetzals are masters of not only building design, pottery but of exploiting nature through their refined herbalist ways and charting the stars through astronomy. They are also one of the few remaining cultures to utilize the blowgun.
-
Laxidors
[Adventure]
[Fortress]
The relaxed people of the jungles and the tropics, the Laxidors are a society whose friendliness and radiant predisposition is obviously stated. Although disadvantaged at combat and warfare, they are considered to be one of the most able conversationalist people in the realm; quick to form bonds and able to resolve conflict with reason and logic. Their advances in mathematics and the proficient ability to sing is certainly note-worthy as well.
-
Mazirs
[Adventure]
Originally a trader culture from the deserts, the Mazirs are men whose mercantile ways has laid a foundation to a greater civilizational capacity. Through the battering warmth of the dunes and the cruel searing heat of the desert, they are able to come out into the world stage as expert swordsmen. And from their mercantile past, they are also gifted negotiators, especially in trade; as well as receptive of the new ever-changing world to the point that they are great students and teachers.
-
Utoktons
The First Men of the world, the Utoktons are the most primeval race in the face of the realm; now with their primitive culture and society facing outcastment and extinction to their more sophisticated cousins. Their bone-carving ability is still quite a remarkable feature though.
-
Venirs
[Evil]
An outcasted race of Humans, who were driven out of their homelands and forced to live under the most unlivable conditions. The Venirs are the evil men of the realm, savage and evil not only in personality but in general appearance as well. They are commonly found toiling away in their dark pits, under the leadership of their own kin, or of worser.

Update Versions-
*Mortal Castle 1.0 (1.0.1 Modular)
>Released Mortal Castle
>10 new races added
>language_IMPERIAL 60% complete
-
*Mortal Castle 1.1 (1.1.1 Modular)
>Streamlined and uncluttered some of the noble positions
>Added a bit into language_Imperial

(note: The file downloaded would actually contain 4 files of Mortal Castle, which all can be played on their own. One is Mortal Castle installed on Vanilla itself, another with DFHack added. One of the other files are a modpack, which packs Mortal Castle with other mods. And the last file would be the modular variant, which is (sorta') compatible when dropped with other mods [consult me when it doesn't].)

Download Links:
DFFD
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:32:36 pm by Nirekin »
Pseudo-Romans! Totally-not Slavic cultures! All here!: Mortal Castle!

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
Re: ≡Mortal Castle≡ v1.0 [44.12] (My First Mod)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:10:37 am »

Looking very cool, especially for a first mod!
You may want to make the download link a little bit more prominent.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nirekin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:45:57 am »

Looking very cool, especially for a first mod!
You may want to make the download link a little bit more prominent.

Thanks! And done!

Nirekin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:32:02 pm »

Minor Update! Mortal Castle is now 1.1(.1)!
Streamlined some of the noble positions, so this means that being a Praetor or a Laxidorian retinue would be much harder, but I feel it's better than being an Imperial Guard for some Duchy you can't even find. Would like feedback on it though. I also added some more translations into language_IMPERIAL.

Next update should bring 3 (maybe even 4) new cultures and races of Humans, with a basis on religious orders and theocratic creeds (think Templars ;)).

Download Link

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 06:52:39 pm »

Where'd you get your music from?

Nirekin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 06:40:07 pm »

Sorry for the late respone but;

There's this Kinetic Anime novel on the Play/App store, it's called One Thousand Lies. Although it's genre is far from what Dwarf Fortress is, it's Flamenco-ish guitar music is pretty suiting to the game. I think you can find the OST on Youtube. I used "Path to Lakeland" and probably "Lolor" for the mod.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 06:49:39 pm »

Sorry for the late respone but;

There's this Kinetic Anime novel on the Play/App store, it's called One Thousand Lies. Although it's genre is far from what Dwarf Fortress is, it's Flamenco-ish guitar music is pretty suiting to the game. I think you can find the OST on Youtube. I used "Path to Lakeland" and probably "Lolor" for the mod.

Thank you for answering. I hope the next update comes soon!