Poll

This Is The Way:

Palpatine: Do It!
- 6 (28.6%)
Darth Vader: Nooooooo!
- 15 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Proposal: Remove "Let's Plays moved. (2009)", sticky "Gaming Block"  (Read 2810 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal: Remove "Let's Plays moved. (2009)", sticky "Gaming Block"
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2021, 07:52:20 pm »

I think where the real hostile reaction comes from though is the idea that there would be some sort of person with power over the whole deal and an active infrastructure that interferes with the way they run their own games - there's nearly nobody who actually needs this sort of setup, and the idea of any moderator, whether it were to be you or NUKE (who I imagine wouldn't want to spend that time and effort for something like this) or somebody else, rankles because they don't have a use for somebody in a position of authority within the board. The idea of central figures moderating is one you've pushed before, and to some degree I think it goes along with the idea of a more centralized infrastructure actively being shifted around. I do NOT personally approve of the way people are behaving, but that's why the pushback is there.
This.

The forum's GMs insofar as I've seen generally prefer independence in how they run their games. Speaking from the perspective of a GM I don't need the assistance of a separate infrastructure to pull in players; I can either arrange something over Discord or put up a thread, see if people bite and arrange the rest over a purpose-made Discord. I see no real reason to have any moderator with significant powers over the forum who isn't solely for the purpose of policing particularly egregious breaches of behaviour, such as personal attacks on someone else, as people (and GMs) are well capable of policing themselves for the most part. I also disapprove of the personal attacks, to be quite frank; we're not approving this idea but there's no need to come after him for it.

In regards to game design discussions, that's just generally a thing people will sort out in PMs, given (again, with personal experience) that there tends to be better results from using your friends as sounding boards rather than some randoms on the Internet.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:54:25 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2021, 08:06:20 pm »

Replying to all this because it's cathartic for me, and if you don't listen to people you disagree with you stay stoopid. And incase there were any nuggests of truth I went through the effort(I am an extremely slow reader, I do have a reading disabilities that makes me take 4x longer to read, so apologies if some felt ignored, sorry I didn't update your vote King Zultan. Back when I was tracking them.)

Nobody cares

This was my most active proposal. One I made in 2016 got 6 replies in comparison to this thread's 40+ and 14 votes basically in a single morning.

I'm not sure it's worth bothering Toady about
And you're proving a point about what I said re: your views on your position in this community. You took it upon yourself to state to a man who is entirely too busy for this petty minuscule nonsense that you're going to maybe perhaps say something important at a later date, and it's this? And in doing so grant yourself the position of speaker for the entirety of us as if we elected you to represent the subforum's collective thoughts? Puhhhlease.

How? Why? Who should I take my suggestion to before ToadyOne? Explain how I expressed this and what should have happened differently.

I do not sumbit to the overwhelming apathy that we should never dare to ask for a thread to be stickied or unstickied if it serves the community. ToadyOne really is a good sport about it, and this is not a daily consideration, unlike all the moderation for the forums he does.

Roseheart's weird bureaucratic conceits are particularly rich for someone who can't even keep a game running!

99% of my games don't finish it's true. And even though I've hit a good stride as of late I don't carry any bags or weight on my shoulders about it. Life happens, and trying something new has merit and value even if it reveals itself to be overambitious. I do take pride in creating something fresh, and my consistency there is something I am very proud of.

Roseheart, I think you should consider that almost all categories in that 'Feedback' box you posted are opposed to the idea. At best they are ambivalent. Literally nobody has posted in support. I don't know who the folks are voting in favour in the poll, but they don't seem to care enough to actually post in the thread.
As for the argument that stickying Gaming Block would make it more popular... how's that working out for the Forum Game List?

I have to say, I'd almost support NUKE as moderator, almost, because even when he's tearing me down, I end up smiling. However the idea that introverts don't deserve consideration is not something I could get behind.

It would be NICE to have a general moderator to manage stickies and general moderation to---wait for it---give Toady less work.

Lets not discount the possibility that little roseheart here is playing sockpuppetry either, in order to vote for his own poll as he seems painfully invested in this. Now that would just be utterly pathetic, wouldn't it?

Having alts is a serious violation (and accusation) on Bay 12. I have one alt that I haven't touched since 2016, which was before I knew I could ask for a username change.

Isn't this the same guy who made the completely pointless bitmap?  And then demanded somebody else make "a flag" for it?

Okay, zoomer.

Well I'm probably older than you if you're using terminology like 'zoomer'. Yeah! I thought it would be cool to collaberate and still do. You can see the participating artists work in the Forum Game List bitmap.

Ayup. Most often when someone wants to talk about putting together a game here, they just take it to some Discord server or other.

The problem with discords is that Toady can't be sure they can be held accountable to the forum guidlines, so it is helpful to have a safe space for basic functions like this.

Yes, but what would Sun Tzu say about all this?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2021, 08:31:30 pm »

Pretty much what it says on the tin, a Fire Emblem tabletop system.
Uh. Can... you be more explanatory wrt what that actually means?

Its a weeb waifu video game that they removed the video part from.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2021, 08:35:28 pm »

Pretty much what it says on the tin, a Fire Emblem tabletop system.
Uh. Can... you be more explanatory wrt what that actually means?

Its a weeb waifu video game that they removed the video part from.
Thanks, yes, that was my actual question, and while they didn't technically answer it, I did ultimately figure it out already. I hadn't heard of it before, but then, not being a weeb, you'd expect this.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2021, 10:09:53 pm »

Few really use Gaming Block though... Just unsticky "Let's Plays Moved", that will provide more of a benefit.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 04:29:18 am »

Few really use Gaming Block though... Just unsticky "Let's Plays Moved", that will provide more of a benefit.
+1

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2021, 04:38:24 am »

+1

i see no point in doing so.
Like what is said benefit?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2021, 04:46:31 am »

+1

i see no point in doing so.
Like what is said benefit?
Do people use that link? It would be one more game on the first page. Though, I'm just saying that because I don't use it and I'm presuming others don't do either.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2021, 04:52:51 am »

There is no point in removing the sticky, I see no benefit in getting rid of it. Nor is there a point in keeping Gaming Block around.

Also I feel like I'm the only one here that doesn't like that discord thing, it seems like social media and I want no part of it.

Also also we don't need a separate moderator for the forum games section as I've never seen anything happen on this part of the board that warrants having one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2021, 06:54:14 am »

I get what you are saying Power Miner about Discord already functioning as a sounding board and meetup. Personally I've all but sworn off Discord as as much of a powder kegg as this thread was to voice random criticism upon me personally, things can be even more volatile in livechat where people have even less time to reconsider hitting send. It sounds like I am not the only one to prefer to stay on the forums.

I took the suggestion to make a new thread and see how it fairs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178073.0

NUKE I feel you've conflated criticism for my proposal and literally very specific personal attacks.. as the same thing. It is no wonder some don't want to throw their voice and name into the discussion unanonymously. Things got pretty cynical and frenzied pretty fast. My usual harassers punched-in, but total unfamiliars like Stik3r smelt blood and joined in a good ol' fashion curb stomp, yeehaw!

Strik3r, I see after your initial jab about me using alts for votes, that you did have some honest feedback.

I suspect I overlooked a lot off honest feedback. Like I said, I am a slow reader, and if it started off with low blows I skimmed over it, perhaps I missed some good points my first time around.

I had been talking to ToadyOne about a number of things over the past few days before I posted this, so yes that I had a proposal in mind but I wanted to run it by friends/others came up.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]