VODKA
- 2 (16.7%)
BEER
- 2 (16.7%)
WINE
- 8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Reverse Arms Race: Main thread  (Read 1735 times)

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Reverse Arms Race: Main thread
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:35:24 pm »

The nations of Deutschia and Russoland are largely insignificant nations that sit in on an island in the middle of the Atlantic. The only people to ever actually take interest in the place are the evident colonists who were very lost, and some scientists, because the island despite its size has a truly remarkable range of climates, some of which were thought to be impossible to coexist.

Of course, the two colonies have been at war since they learned about the other. The parent nations have forgot about their existence by now, or at least deny any relation. This is mostly so they don’t have to support the them in any way.

What do you need to know about the nations?

Deutschians speak english but with a really bad stereotypical german accent, drink proper beers instead of flavourless vodka, and are always serious. Deutschian humor is no laughing matter. They live down south. Their ruler is Kaiser [Team’s choice].

The people of Russoland are fierce and strong. They prove this by choosing to live in the tundra of the north, drinking manly vodka instead of piss colored beer and speak english with a stereotypical russian accent. Ruled by Czar [Team’s choice].

Discord

One day, during one of the ceasefires one advisor on both sides had the same idea. “What if we send over a designer to ruin their weapons program?” And so both nations did. But due to a random clerical error happening on both sides on some very similar paperwork, both sides sent over their entire design department to the enemy. The war then got hot again and communications were cut off. This is where you come in.

Welcome to Reverse Arms Race.

You and your team of designers are stuck in the enemy capital, where everyone believes you belong. Your goal? Make your actual nation win the war. For this reason you will design weapons, vehicles, contest entries and many more things with a single purpose in mind: Fail as hard as possible.

Do remember, that you aren’t the only parts of this process. There are many engineers, interns, upper management and whatever else that may look at your work and find fault. Designing the same thing over and over, or calling for “the worst materials you can find” without it being justified is liable to get some oversight on you. That could lead to bad things.

The Rules:

Turns:
The game is played in turns, which are broken up into phases. During each turn you will design new technology, revise it, and assign your armies. Each turn represents one year. Once the second world war starts, it will slow down to seasons.
The Design Phase is your biggest phase, where you design a new technology. Simply write a proposal, or vote on an existing one- you only get one design each phase. Remember to votebox and link to it because bay12 has inferior forum software that doesn’t even support tally tools. The design with the most votes will be attempted. Then you will see the results of your design, based on a die roll and a difficulty which I assign (see difficulty, below).
The Revision Phase is your opportunity to fix problems or make changes to your existing designs. This works like the design phase, but the changes you can make are smaller (see difficulty, below). You can also attempt to reverse-engineer enemy designs, if you have gained ground in a theatre where the design which you want to reverse-engineer was fought.
The Strategy Phase is nonexistent. You are designers. This might be replaced by Contest Submission Phases when relevant.
The Battle Phase is when you wait to see your Battle Report. I will write a summary of the fighting which demonstrates how effective your new technology is, and your armies will gain or lose ground. Once the battle report is posted, the turn is over and the next one begins.

Once you understand these basics, you can skim some of the other, more detailed rules.

Resources and Expense:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Map: Explanation

The Map: My Paint Skills
Armor:
Landing Strips:
Naval Advantage:
Design Difficulty:
Credits:

The Leadership and You:

Behavior: Important, Read This!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:54:43 pm by BBBence1111 »
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Reverse Arms Race: Main thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:36:01 pm »

dibs on first post

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 02:57:26 pm »

Dibs on second post
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 02:58:34 pm »

Achtung, I follow the lead, I am a Russoland as a Deutschian Designer.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 02:59:04 pm »

Will join soon.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:09:52 pm »

Glory to Russoland, 'comrades'.

E: Which, to be clear, means I am actually rooting for Deutschia, but pretending to be Russ. This is very confusing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:36:20 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:33 pm »

GERMANLANDY
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 03:40:45 pm »

I will be fighting for the glorious empire of Russoland Deuchia! May we squash our foes under the imperial heel!
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 03:42:48 pm »

I’m not planning on joining at the moment, but I just wanted to say that I expect lots of designs that are either trivial or impossible with very little middle ground.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:45:25 pm »

I’m not planning on joining at the moment, but I just wanted to say that I expect lots of designs that are either trivial or impossible with very little middle ground.
Don't worry, that gets the Czar/Kaiser angry.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 03:59:23 pm »

I SHALL BE THE MOST TRUE AND REAL OF GERMA— DEUTSCHIANS YES HA HA

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 04:24:27 pm »

HALLO MEIN FREU- I mean, yes, da, privyet comrades. Join Russoland for might of the glorious imperial majesty, the KA-CZAR CZAR YES THAT'S WHAT I MEANT.

Avanti!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 10:13:46 pm »

I'm uh

whatever fuckin thread i post in

God damn kids with your god damn mind games on your interconnected webs

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 10:24:56 pm »

Don't forget to join the discord. Most of the arms race takes place there.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:38 pm »

Combat Update 1:

Air:

Over the plains, as the war heats up again, Deutschian and Russolandian planes meet. The Deutschian (actually French) Potez are the first to spot the Cannalan Barnacles the enemy uses. Using their superior speed, the Potezes (s? i? -es?) immediately turn to attack.  Unfortunately for them, the Barnacles notice them. Both sides open fire at the same time, but it quickly becomes apparent that the Barnacles are winning. Their shots do more damage when hitting, and being secured in the plane eliminates many of their guns’ weaknesses. Meanwhile the Chauchats on the Potez jam up frequently, meaning the pilot or the gunner have to focus on fixing them.

Russoland has an air advantage.

The Plains

As we have learned from the Great War, and the armies that fought it, the plains are full of trenches to protect the soldiers. Pushes are slow and bring many casualties. Russoland uses their planes to the best effect, scouting and directing fire, but their howertizers are not that effective at doing damage. Comparatively, Deutschia’s rockets do wreak havoc on the enemy lines before a push, and their tanks provide the necessary cover to advance through any weaknesses they find.

That is, only if they managed to get rid of enough MAR operators in the area. The MAR as a static defense tool works well at stopping enemy tanks, as with enough fire and some lucky shots it can get through the weak armor on the Mark 4. The gun does have it’s issues however: Neither the rounds it fires, nor the gun itself are well suited to actually automatic fire. The stock the weapon uses tends to break if one fires a couple rounds, and it kicks like a mule. The monopod doesn’t help, but it does come in handy as a melee weapon when the enemy gets close enough.

Comparatively, the Chauchats that the Deutschians use are a lot less reliable. Frequent jams and a weaker round means they have a harder time to stop the armored cars of the Russolandians.

In a straight fight between the vehicles, it depends on if the Mark 4 can hit the Kadesh before it gets disabled.

As for the infantry guns, the Russolandians have a clear advantage. The type 0 might not be the best rifle, but it gets the job done. It’s fairly accurate, but it fires slowly. On the other side, there is the Wilhelm. It’s best used at medium range, as it has a chance to hit the target there. A chance.

In the end, mobility and the ability to stop enemy pushes with actually working weapons and grenades wins Russoland the day.

Plains: [Russoland 3/4 , Deutschia 1/4]

The Jungle

The frontline of the fight in the jungle this time is the large river separating the two halves of the region. This is where the Navies of Deutschia and Russoland shine. Or they would, if they were suited for this environment.

Russoland’s Shunefus struggle to sail on the river unless the wind favors them heavily. Their guns are more than capable of taking down the Deutschian Anchusas, but they tend to become sitting ducks when the more maneuverable enemies get upwind of them, even more so if that’s also up river. This usually means heavy losses for Russoland.

Deutschia has some trouble when they realize they have no way to ferry their tanks and trucks over, but a designer came up with the idea of building a raft and tying it between ships. The two tanks that survived the journey were just enough to defend their forward base. They get a forward base and also get to name the river.

Burned Jungle: [Russoland 3/4 , Deutschia 1/4 ]

The Desert Island

The battles over water aren’t much different here, but they are somewhat better for Russoland. While their ships can be spotted from much further away, they are also harder to get behind, as the ocean allows them to keep a good range. They also have to worry less about the river currents affecting them. With those, they even the score and as such noone has a distinct advantage.

For the soldiers on the island there are some good news and some bad news. On one hand, it’s much harder to dig trenches in a desert, so they don’t have to.  On the other they get to stack sandbags instead, as sand is somewhat common in the area.

The main difference here compared to the plains is that Russoland’s Kadesh isn’t well suited to sandy terrain. They frequently have issues with losing traction, and they have the most trouble with dunes. It’s not crippling, but it’s noticeable. This affects the Mark 4 less, as it’s treads deal with sand better, but it’s not the best on their end either.

The other, even worse issue is the Chauchats. The open magazine and sand being irritating and getting in everywhere the weapons just fail to work, despite the soldiers best efforts to keep them clean. With that and the longer fight ranges, Russoland manages to push.

Desert Island: [Russoland 3/4 , Deutschia 1/4]

Contest:

In a prestigious school in the United States, a teacher noticed that they don’t have the official flags of either Russoland or Deutschia. Said teacher sent a letter explaining this to both embassies, and also mentioned that their yearly class trip doesn’t have a destination yet. The Kaiser and the Czar immediately gave the task to their design teams: Design a better flag than the other side.

Reward: One Research Credit.

Rules: The flag has to have at least 3 colors and resemble a flag of some kind. Edit: No existing flags allowed (including modern day)

Kot specific rules:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:36:20 pm by BBBence1111 »
Pages: [1] 2