Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What makes a good forum game?  (Read 3382 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good forum game?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 09:37:33 am »

While players (of some quality) are a necessary condition of a good game, they're not sufficient. As has been pointed out, most games die when the GM stops updating.

Outsider

• Bay Watcher
  • SOMEONE HELP ME WITH AVATARS ON THIS BLOODY SITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »

While players (of some quality) are a necessary condition of a good game, they're not sufficient. As has been pointed out, most games die when the GM stops updating.
I know real life sometimes calls us, but for me 99% of the time, my muse fluctuates rapidly. I'm not looking to make any excuses, mind you, merely helping to isolate problems and build a better forum game community. For some reason, my writing muse will shift sometimes multiple times a day. It usually depends on what media content I consume. Usually. Sometimes I'll want slice of life fantasy anthro stuff, so I'll write that. Other times, I'm in the mood for pure fantasy adventure, so I'll write that. Other times, I hunger to write a space opera, so that will be a suggestion game I throw up there.

Obviously, the necroposting rules here are laid back (unexpected given how totalitarian the forum administration itself is), so GMs like myself can always revive an old SG or game thread. But that doesn't solve the "shifting muse" problem that I, and likely a few other GMs, struggle with. I think what MIGHT help with that is opening a Google Doc and writing a one-shot or word-salad story about that idea, and see if it holds. If you're writing it for a day or more, it might be a sign to run a SG. If you forget it at after a paragraph, you probably shouldn't run it.

Am I making sense?
Isekai: A suggestion game. High Fantasy, Action, Adventure.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 04:02:42 pm »

I think what MIGHT help with that is opening a Google Doc and writing a one-shot or word-salad story about that idea, and see if it holds. If you're writing it for a day or more, it might be a sign to run a SG. If you forget it at after a paragraph, you probably shouldn't run it.

Am I making sense?
You don't know how many game ideas I gave up on because I do this exactly.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 01:40:07 am »

I think what MIGHT help with that is opening a Google Doc and writing a one-shot or word-salad story about that idea, and see if it holds. If you're writing it for a day or more, it might be a sign to run a SG. If you forget it at after a paragraph, you probably shouldn't run it.

Am I making sense?
You don't know how many game ideas I gave up on because I do this exactly.
Oh, yeah, I have a folder full of game ideas that never went into production, so to speak. Perhaps I'm too strict with myself, cos I don't run many games, but I've made a rule that I never start a game on the same day I come up with the idea- I always write it down, sleep on it, and if it still sounds like a good idea the next morning, only then do I seriously consider running it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 01:41:37 am »

Funny, I tend to be the most confident in things I don't have to sleep on. Get idea, build it, put it out before overthinking can muck it up.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 10:26:43 pm »

Ptw.
Discord: Liberonscien#0930
Pages: 1 2 [3]