Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magmawell/waterwells  (Read 3327 times)

Balgias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magmawell/waterwells
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:15:02 am »

They're fantastic but I think they need an article on the DF wiki, their exact mechanics, use and what labor that is used to activate them is a bit cloudy which may be leading people to overlook their utility.

generalerwin01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Magmawell/waterwells
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »

I completely agree, I can't even get it to work lol.

f3ygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:48:10 pm »

I completely agree, I can't even get it to work lol.

Quick guide for you.

1. find a rough tear/blood of the mountain while mining.
2. DO NOT cut it in a jewlers, keep it as a rough stone.
3. Using the furnaces menu, find the water/magma wells. Tears for water, Blood for magma
4. Place the 3x3 well somewhere, points to note on placement, the water/magma is generated on the Z level below the workshop at one of the core directions, as such you need a channel or hole of anykind at these points (M) to function, See below for an example.
    W = Workshop
    M = Magma

M
       MWWWM
            M

The Z level below will look like this.

M

M       M

M

5. When using the well you are given a choice of options, one is the direction of flow NSEW, second is the flow rate 0-4. The final option is to turn off all flows. From my own experience the option to turn off all flows DOES NOT work and results is only fun. So if you for example start a new magma flow North at a rate of 1, then wish to stop it later. Go back into the well and set a new flow North at a rate of 0.

That is mostly it for wells, once you get one working and see them they are fairly straight forward.

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:24:33 pm »

Please pardon the necro, but does anyone know the correct input for dfhack to use createitem command to generate a rough blood/tear of the mountain?

I always dig them up as a race that can't even use them, and never as a race that can. Just once I'd like to incorporate some of the magic wells into an actual build.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 09:09:22 am »

I did not test these so there might be a mistake but at the very least the item names were directly copied from the raw files (inorganic_archeology.txt, line 97 and 80 respectively for tear and blood).

Tear of the mountain
createitem ROUGH INORGANIC:TEARS_OF_ARMOK

Blood of the mountain
createitem ROUGH INORGANIC:BLOOD_OF_ARMOK
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 11:00:07 am »

I did not test these so there might be a mistake but at the very least the item names were directly copied from the raw files (inorganic_archeology.txt, line 97 and 80 respectively for tear and blood).

Tear of the mountain
createitem ROUGH INORGANIC:TEARS_OF_ARMOK

Blood of the mountain
createitem ROUGH INORGANIC:BLOOD_OF_ARMOK

Thank you, that worked a treat. Not sure what I was doing before, but that did it. Might have been case sensitivity causing issues in my previous attempts; it's been quite some time since my last deep dive into the game.