Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF on a USB?  (Read 4028 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on a USB?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:06:54 pm »

Wouldn't that disable announcements? Also, I think it gets cleared after it reaches a certain size (2GB?) anyway.
No, it is just a log. The game will display them but won't make a log. The drawback is you can't check years old messages.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 03:33:05 am »

No, it is just a log. The game will display them but won't make a log. The drawback is you can't check years old messages.
Nor use Soundsense.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:08:45 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 02:26:59 pm »

I've been running DF on my USB for a few days, and I've got some data to report. The game runs perfectly, no dropped FPS compared to running from the computer's hard drive. It hasn't even hiccuped more than once, and that was during end-of-year autosave. Loading the game takes less than a minute and saving takes a couple minutes, but it's not that big of a hindrance since I'm usually doing other things. The only thing that took a substantial amount of time was when I decided to generate and save a new world (medium size, 250 year history) as a test. Saving it took about 15 minutes. I was starting to worry the program had frozen completely, but it did sort itself out eventually.

Is your thumbdrive USB 3.0? If not, it might be unbearably slow. I tried running a persistent Linux on a 128GB USB 2.0 thumbdrive and it took minutes to even open basic system utilities. A USB hard drive would have better read/write times, and be less volatile (less risk of memory loss with too much use.)

It's 3.0, yeah. The stick I'm using is almost brand new in terms of use, so I'm not worried about wearing it down too quickly. If I end up doing this for any prolonged period of time I'll probably look into a usb hard drive instead.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 06:47:48 pm »

World gen will take its time, as will advancing the world.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 [2]