Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy Military  (Read 721 times)

thedanster7000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lazy Military
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:58:11 am »

A forgotten beast just decided to slaughter everyone in my fortress' lower caverns. I've told my military to kill it, their job listing and the squads menu says they are but they're just sitting in their rooms not even training. What am I doing wrong?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Military
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:51:58 pm »

Sometimes the military just sort of bugs out and is stuck in a "soldier (no activity)" task [as reported by Dwarf therapist]. Activating/deactivating the squad sometimes solves it.

With that out of the way I would check if:
1) The beast is still on the map. (when the target of a kill order has left the map the order doesn't get cancelled and the squad just sits around)
2) They have an open path to the beast's location (no forbiden doors/raised bridges)

sneak edit: 3) The beast might have also got stuck somewhere that your dwarves can't reach it (trees)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:35:35 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:57:33 pm »

And "open path" also means no unrevealed tiles along that path, as that blocks pathing to a location that is visible.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:15:56 pm »

Often it is better to move (station) your military in the area where you want them than to issue a kill order. Your dwarves will ignore your orders if they are "impossible", such as killing a flying creature. Station them near the forgotten beast (or, better, station them at the entrance to the cavern and then station them near the then-location of the beast after they all report for duty) and combat will ensue.