Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everyone looks the same?  (Read 1710 times)

black-cat13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Everyone looks the same?
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:09:28 pm »

My fortress doesn't have a lot of... variety. All 19 of my dwarves have burnt umber skin, ochre eyes, and golden yellow hair. Some have gray or white mixed in their hair, presumably due to age. Even the 7 visiting merchant dorfs look like this.

Is this normal?

This is a big world with multiple living dwarven civs (though only one or two can reach my fort)
I can understand that the majority can have these features, but it seems excessive to have everyone with the exact same skin, eye, and hair colors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do you think?
Is this a common thing that I've only just now noticed?
Did the rng simply get lucky while rolling appearances?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone looks the same?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:42:00 pm »

The way I understand it is dwarves from the same civ all tend to look similar. So, as far as I know, it's relatively normal, maybe a bit unlucky.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 04:34:51 pm »

This is a common occurrence and is caused by the shallow nature of DF's genetics simulation, although I don't know the specifics on how that comes to be.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:00:58 pm »

Every dwarf in your fortress is from the same civ, the merchants too (90% of the time), and probably the abstract populations of the world don't mix much. Adds up to a samey look to members of the same civ. And that means the variety of dwarf civs in your world is irrelevant as you're not meeting most of them.

Take an adventurer out to the other civs and see what they look like.

It could definitely do with more variety, it seems to be a problem of simulating the diversity of a dwarf civ that don't mix much in a world only a few hundred years old rather than adding hundreds of thousands of years of a time-before-time generation, like the land generation does. Would be nice to see Myth-Gen add something there.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:23:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 10:16:39 pm »

I know for a fact this isn't unique to dwarfs. Humans exhibit it too. IME it gets less and less pronounced as citizens from different strains of appearance show up.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:47:09 am »

If you pick an adventurer from a determined civ and roll their appereance over and over again you can also see that there is very little variation, usually over just a couple of traits (unless you unrestrict the appeareance, of course, for which there is an option).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 10:08:19 am »

It might be worth noting that the uniformity seems to be on a per-caste basis.  Mods could help fix this by creating a couple dozen duplicate male and female castes for dwarves and whatever other sapients you care about.  You wouldn't notice any difference in game except that there are more variations in appearance, even though there would still be little mixing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 11:52:26 am »

It might be worth noting that the uniformity seems to be on a per-caste basis.  Mods could help fix this by creating a couple dozen duplicate male and female castes for dwarves and whatever other sapients you care about.  You wouldn't notice any difference in game except that there are more variations in appearance, even though there would still be little mixing.

Doesn't the OP example, in which both males and females have the same appereance, proves that false? Or it's a coincidence?

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 12:41:15 pm »

Doesn't the OP example, in which both males and females have the same appereance, proves that false? Or it's a coincidence?

No, absolutely not, because in vanilla the appearance coding is applied across castes. I made my own mod where different castes have their own eye and hair colors, where those appearance variables are defined on a per-caste basis. It works as intended with the different castes having only their distinguishing eye and hair colors.

Ergo, no it is completely normal to observe male and female vanilla dwarves having the same characteristics.

black-cat13

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 04:51:29 pm »

It could definitely do with more variety, it seems to be a problem of simulating the diversity of a dwarf civ that don't mix much in a world only a few hundred years old rather than adding hundreds of thousands of years of a time-before-time generation, like the land generation does.

I must get weird civ gens or something. The original list is from a max size world that's 569 years old, but I just checked the dwarves in a pocket island that's only 127 years old and their hair and skin are decently varied. (It should be mentioned that the worlds were probably made in different versions, but I don't think anything changed since 44.07)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not expecting amazing genetics or anything. But I also wasn't expecting a kind of master race to show up.
Again, I can accept a trait being common, but it's a bit jarring to see everyone have the same colors for everything.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 01:49:26 am »

It could in part be due to the R in DF's RNG being poor. You tend to notice when you have reason and opportunity to re-roll something a ridiculous number of times. Like I do with embark dwarves (specifically when trying to avoid incongruous preferences across 7 individuals).

Here's a very old post, but I haven't heard that anything in the RNG has changed: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2947.msg48476#msg48476

Shame the Op failed his charisma check.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 02:34:19 pm »

I must get weird civ gens or something. The original list is from a max size world that's 569 years old, but I just checked the dwarves in a pocket island that's only 127 years old and their hair and skin are decently varied.

I think the variance in skin/hair/eye color is just another possibility. I've seen a few civs with varied colors in one or two (not all, I don't think) of these traits, alongside civs with only a single color for each, which seems to be the more common possibility.

Personally I rather like the single-color type: it lets you tell at a glance what civ the person belongs to, or at least where their ancestors are from. Useful for adventure mode when you're like me and want to understand the world more deeply.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 06:02:52 pm »

I had something similar awhile back, the vast majority of the population was much taller than average.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper