Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All Possible Options for Getting Work NOW (United States)  (Read 3950 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
All Possible Options for Getting Work NOW (United States)
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:59:08 pm »

What are some ways someone could get basically guaranteed work in the USA? Ideally the work is paid but food and shelter is good enough. An example of what I'm talking about is the military, where you can basically just sign up. Feel free to interpret this as flexibly as you like.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: All Possible Options for Getting Work NOW (United States)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:22:34 pm »

I don't know a lot about it, but I think there are a lot of seasonal farming/agriculture kind of work that starts up in spring/summer.  It wouldn't last into the winter, but if you are looking for something fast that might be something to look into.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 04:38:58 pm »

The work won't be glamorous, but you can likely get work within 48 hours if you go through a temp agency.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:39:51 pm »

The work won't be glamorous, but you can likely get work within 48 hours if you go through a temp agency.

Confirmed. Did this, got a temp job at a state office within a couple days.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:41:53 pm »

Confirmed. Did this, got a temp job at a state office within a couple days.
Temp agencies will also take a cut if your pay.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 06:18:15 pm »

This was quite a long time ago, but I guess I don't recall losing any appreciable amount from my paycheck. Was definitely some of the better paying unskilled work I'd done. But I'm sure you're right, that's the case with most temp agencies.

But you know, a shitty paying job is better than no job, and at most places that utilize a temp agency if you do well enough for them, they'll usually want to convert your position to a full time one and hire you, unless you're doing seasonal labor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:20:31 pm »

You could deliver newspapers. While it isn't really a job (I think you legally count as a contractor) it is really easy to get a paper route and it wont take up all of your time. It doesn't pay very much at all, but if you have the time on your hands you might as well.

Either check in the newspaper (they usually post all their available routes) or call them and ask about it.