Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting your squads to equip Leather High Boots  (Read 2840 times)

SedrynTyros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sedryn's Corner
Getting your squads to equip Leather High Boots
« on: April 03, 2019, 06:08:46 pm »

Is the only way to do this to assign specific pieces in the Uniform? Because I've tried everything else I can think off.  The squad members will equip Leather Helms, Leather Armor, and Leggings, but not the Leather High Boots even though the Uniform specifies to use those and I have a crapload of them one of my Leatherworkers made sitting in an Armor Stockpile.
Addendum to PeridexisErrant’s DF Walkthrough, based on v40.24:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ObFaFWdTBm8sUDbSyLwJhByJ8UTAlw3K

PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.44.12-r05 with additional, separate options for TWBT versions of graphics packs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q1DNngwQZzYD2pZg2RuubEYytEo_8rp4

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting your squads to equip Leather High Boots
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 06:38:59 pm »

Is the only way to do this to assign specific pieces in the Uniform? Because I've tried everything else I can think off.  The squad members will equip Leather Helms, Leather Armor, and Leggings, but not the Leather High Boots even though the Uniform specifies to use those and I have a crapload of them one of my Leatherworkers made sitting in an Armor Stockpile.
Should work. My squads all wear leather boots and they don't have specific armour settings.
Are you set to Replace Clothing? If not, try that. It might be that they're trying to fit them over socks/sandals or something which may be broken.

SedrynTyros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sedryn's Corner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:48 pm »

Should work. My squads all wear leather boots and they don't have specific armour settings.
Are you set to Replace Clothing? If not, try that. It might be that they're trying to fit them over socks/sandals or something which may be broken.

I was trying to avoid using "Replace Clothing" but if nothing else works I may go that route.

PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.44.12-r05 with additional, separate options for TWBT versions of graphics packs:

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 08:10:56 pm »

You do need replace clothing for boots, because boots don't fit over shoes.

If you're one of those people that has caps and hoods, then you'd need it for helms too, because helms don't fit over those (I think).
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:23:17 pm »

Well, you could mod shoes and/or boots to not conflict, or add [shaped] tokens to both so that Toady's fix for helmets should also apply to boots.

I think these values should work, but I haven't tested them:

shoes: size:15 permit:10
boots: size:30 permit:25

SedrynTyros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sedryn's Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:09:01 pm »

Seems a bit odd that there's no effective way to get your squads to just replace their Shoes with High Boots unless you force them to switch their entire outfit for the Uniform ... but it's looking like that's the only way.  It'd be nice if there was some option to tell them to exchange their shoes for boots without them having to take off all their civilian clothes and replace it with the Uniform.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:27:49 pm »

Seems a bit odd that there's no effective way to get your squads to just replace their Shoes with High Boots unless you force them to switch their entire outfit for the Uniform ... but it's looking like that's the only way.  It'd be nice if there was some option to tell them to exchange their shoes for boots without them having to take off all their civilian clothes and replace it with the Uniform.
The military screen is altogether odd. Treat it very, very carefully and it might not fall apart. UI updates and military update on the way (pre-Big Wait, but maybe post-Steam) so there's a possible light at the end of military screen tunnel (might be a willo-the-wisp, be careful...).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:30:17 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:03:26 pm »

I was trying to avoid using "Replace Clothing" but if nothing else works I may go that route.

Unfortunately you should ALWAYS have squads set to Replace unless it is one intended to equip weapons/shields only. Otherwise they will inevitably forgo the life-saving armor in some place or other.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 10:50:19 pm »

My solution was to never let my fortress dwarf civies to have boots or shoes of any kind. You can force strip boots from dwarves too, using dump option in stocks menu, which is listing also those boots on dwarves and on passing by visitors and trade caravan folks, so be wary for that. Also do same with mittens and caps to cover any other military incompatibilities. Then you can happily provide all clothing for your civies in leather too, which gives additional defense checks for your military beside the military armor checks. Except for socks. Those you can't have in leather. Good luck!

PS. If you have issues (hunters?) with picking correct military uniform parts, then assign them all manually, piece by piece. Any time these hunters are drafted into military they will go and pick all their assigned stuff first. Though, they will drop it all into armor&weapon stockpile, after turning into civies again. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:53:47 pm by Sarmatian123 »

SedrynTyros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sedryn's Corner
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »

My solution was to never let my fortress dwarf civies to have boots or shoes of any kind. You can force strip boots from dwarves too, using dump option in stocks menu, which is listing also those boots on dwarves and on passing by visitors and trade caravan folks, so be wary for that. Also do same with mittens and caps to cover any other military incompatibilities. Then you can happily provide all clothing for your civies in leather too, which gives additional defense checks for your military beside the military armor checks. Except for socks. Those you can't have in leather. Good luck!

PS. If you have issues (hunters?) with picking correct military uniform parts, then assign them all manually, piece by piece. Any time these hunters are drafted into military they will go and pick all their assigned stuff first. Though, they will drop it all into armor&weapon stockpile, after turning into civies again. Good luck!

But I was under the impression that "Dump" doesn't work on clothing items that are owned by Dwarves.  Is that wrong?  Can I actually force an individual Dwarf to dump clothing it owns, as in forcing them to dump their shoes?  I know with DFHack you can use "cleanowned", but that's a mass-command that affects all Dwarves not just specific ones.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 01:47:25 am »

But I was under the impression that "Dump" doesn't work on clothing items that are owned by Dwarves.  Is that wrong?  Can I actually force an individual Dwarf to dump clothing it owns, as in forcing them to dump their shoes?  I know with DFHack you can use "cleanowned", but that's a mass-command that affects all Dwarves not just specific ones.
I think you can. I've used it to strip visiting mercs. Ho ho ho.
Might be you have to do it from the stocks screen or something like that (not using DFhack here).

SedrynTyros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sedryn's Corner
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 08:31:29 am »

I think you can. I've used it to strip visiting mercs. Ho ho ho.
Might be you have to do it from the stocks screen or something like that (not using DFhack here).

Sweet!  I'll give it a try and post here how it turns out.  I'm going to see what happens if I Dump the shoes my squads are using.  Hopefully, they'll grab boots to replace them.

UPDATE:

Well, my initial attempt appears to have failed.  I tried it with a single Dwarf in my squad (the Squad leader).  Both his shoes are marked for Dump but he's still wearing them rather than dumping them off and then grabbing his assigned Leather High Boots.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:00:53 pm by SedrynTyros »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 11:33:17 am »

Well, you could mod shoes and/or boots to not conflict, or add [shaped] tokens to both so that Toady's fix for helmets should also apply to boots.
I added the shaped token to high and low boots, and gauntlets before starting a new fort. Armor was produced, and this uniform was built and then assigned. All 9 dwarfs immediately (within 60 seconds) wore their entire uniform properly, replacing shoes, mittens, and caps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 11:59:02 am »

Indeed. Z-stocks menu. You mark them for dumping safely. Only what you desire to be dumped will be dumped this way. Owned items marked for dumping, will take a 1-2 months, maybe even 3 months, before being dumped. I never had issue repossessing owned items and clearing owned status through dumping.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 06:49:11 pm »

I added the shaped token to high and low boots, and gauntlets before starting a new fort. Armor was produced, and this uniform was built and then assigned. All 9 dwarfs immediately (within 60 seconds) wore their entire uniform properly, replacing shoes, mittens, and caps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heyy, that's brilliant! I've gotta try that sometime!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2