Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers Dropping Gear Months After Equipping Them  (Read 815 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers Dropping Gear Months After Equipping Them
« on: April 03, 2019, 06:37:53 pm »

In my current fort, after defeating a trash mob siege, random soldiers have started taking off their mail shirts and dropping weapons, then putting them back in the stockpiles. Not even with specific equipment orders can I get them to re-equip the items. They appear to be rendered totally unusable by the military. I've never seen this behavior before in years of DF. The only really new, possibly causal thing I've done is these same soldiers have been on multiple pillaging and razing missions.

Forging replacement gear has proven a workaround but it's a real heartbreaker to see decorated masterwork gear get thrown away. And by thrown away, I mean sold to caravans. Yes, that means these items show up on the trade goods screen despite ALSO being specifically assigned in the military equip screen.

Has anyone else had this? Am I missing something trivial?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers Dropping Gear Months After Equipping Them
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:56:34 pm »

Make sure your military dwarves have the mining, wood-cutting, and hunting labors disabled, and disable any "labor managers" that might automatically enable any of those labors on military dwarves.

Other than that, there's a known raid bug causing equipment list corruption. In some cases multiple dwarves will be assigned the same piece of equipment, in others the game crashes. 

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:10 pm »

Make sure your military dwarves have the mining, wood-cutting, and hunting labors disabled, and disable any "labor managers" that might automatically enable any of those labors on military dwarves.

Other than that, there's a known raid bug causing equipment list corruption. In some cases multiple dwarves will be assigned the same piece of equipment, in others the game crashes.

Oh I've got all the regular stuff taken care of as regards labor conflicts.

Since writing the OP I tried disbanding every squad and reforming them. That only really screwed me because it revealed nearly every piece of gear to be bugged. I.e. nobody would put their helmets or gloves back on.

That's a super bummer if raids are basically unworkable in the current version. Are there any DFhack fixes or other workarounds?

For clearness' sake here's a recap of how this happened: Squads formed and equipped, train for several months straight -> go out on 2 pillaging missions and 1 raze mission -> come home -> wipe out large enemy siege -> troops begin dropping core pieces of equipment seemingly at random -> disbanding and reforming as a workaround attempt causes troops to refuse to equip any but a fraction of their gear, again at random and despite a month of time to pickup gear. Troops even refused to re-equip their old flasks and backpacks.

What a crying shame that missions are in this bad a shape. World-map military campaigns were such a thrilling new experience for the 10 minutes I got with it. I sure hope Toady can fix it in the next update. :'(

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:49 pm »

That equipment duplicate bug was (mostly) fixed in 44.12.

That said, there are still issues left to sort out (bug fixing wasn't finished when Toady got distracted by villains) but it is playable right now. Well, depending on how well you get on with the WIP stress system...

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:44:05 pm »

That equipment duplicate bug was (mostly) fixed in 44.12.

That said, there are still issues left to sort out (bug fixing wasn't finished when Toady got distracted by villains) but it is playable right now. Well, depending on how well you get on with the WIP stress system...

God willing this was just some one-off thing. I'm going to gen up a new world, make a new castle, and backup the save prior to launching assaults again. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to accept needing to make whole new sets of arms and armor whenever I go raiding. Good lord will that suck but if that's what I gotta do I'll do it.

And I disabled the stress system haha.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:35:01 am »

I was reading the other day that this might be fixed by changing the uniforms to not carry food or drink, something to do with flasks/waterskins having some type of ownership bug when returning from raiding. Hope this helps, please let us know how it goes if you test this.