Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doubts about Dwarven Nourishment and how you can arrange the environment.  (Read 954 times)

Wally

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Ahoy, friends!

As this is my first post in 5 years of trying to comprehend the complexity of this game, I first greet you and ask for patience.

We all know eating and drinking is important, but how we do it and how we provide means to do so for our fellow dwarves is just as important. So I was thinking, how do I distribute cups for my dwarves? Can I assign an specific cup/mug for them or do I put them in a container like a chest or a cupboard? Now, specifically for food, there are many ways to store unprepared and prepared food. Do you separate them in different stockpiles? In different rooms? I'm eager to hear your opinion, please try to be specific on the your method to provide to your dwarves.

Sincerelly, Wally.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:26:48 am by Wally »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cups: Tavern allocated cups are stored in a chest in the tavern (or, actually, container: a bag works as well). Those cups are used exclusively by poisoners to shove booze down the throats of patrons and are not used by dorf for self serving.
Self serving cups are best kept out of stockpiles. Dorfs grab a cup, go to the booze stockpile, drinks (using the cup) and then drops it. It's more efficient to have the next dorf grab a cup lying in the stockpile than to keep generating jobs to haul cups back to stockpiles.

Food storage: It's mostly a matter of how you want to set it up. Role playing can dominate, or you may go for efficiency. Personally I mostly use mine cart quantum stockpiles for everything except booze (as QSPs don't work with barrels due to barrels being allocated to the feeding stockpile and thus hauled back immediately after delivery).

Booze: I try to provide my dorfs with the maximum possible range of booze (apart from a role playing aspect, it also means dorfs can satisfy their drinks preferences to a large extent). I'm also using a DFHack script to try to booze cook meals for the citizens based on their booze preferences.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

I mostly do what Patrik does with booze, keeping all drinks in the central fort, and having no goblet stockpiles, so goblets and booze close to each other, and often close to the dwarf, when the dwarf seeks out a drink. You cannot assign specific mugs to dwarfs.

I keep my food-kitchen and uncooked food stockpiles some distance from the central fort, with the idea that dwarfs will only take food from there if they want a preferred food, and will be more likely to take a cooked meal from the several cooked food stockpiles around the central fort. I am not sure how well this works, as unmet food needs are usually not the problem with my upset dwarfs. I previously kept cooked food and drinks in distant locations (near the magma and cavern entrances), but stopped that, since I do not want dwarfs seeking table/food or drink/mug combinations that are far from each other.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Wally

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Honestly I never got so far to build a tavern because I'm mostly busy trying to put up a decent infrastructure and by that point the goblins, overpopulation  or natural disasters already got me down. But on my next run I'm certanly going to try it. Thanks for the tips guys!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have found that the game is more fun if you set your population cap to something you can manage and only increase it slowly over time.  YMMV.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm on the same side as mikekchar on the population issue. When not playing dead civs (and playing DF, which I've stopped doing due to the raiding crash bug), I set the pop cap to the current pop plus 10 after each migrant wave to ease things in. Also, I tend to stop raising the pop cap around 50 or so (that requires you to change the siege triggers if you want sieges, or they won't come as the default cap is a pop of 80: I set my triggers to 1 = 20, and 14 for titans and (semi) megabeasts).