Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam Mod sprites  (Read 6139 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Steam Mod sprites
« on: April 05, 2019, 07:17:43 am »

I didn't want to post sprites I make in my free time in the same thread as the official Steam tileset, so I made a new thread.

Since MasterworkDF and other mods by me will be released for Steam as well, I started working on some sprites for them. I'll post them here and I'd be happy if you can let me know what you think about them. Feedback is always welcome.

Since maintaining such a huge mod across several tilesets and versions, I decided to trim it down a bit and for now I'll do 10 workshops for each race, with 6 races playable: dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds and necromancers.

Basic idea for what they can do:

**Dwarves are metalworker and smiths**, hence:

- Alchemist to transmute metals.

- Ore Processor sorting and cleaning ore, increasing the yield.

- Blast Furnace to smelt large batches of metal bars.

- Volcanic Foundry to make a new better-than-steel metal.

- Javelin Maker to create a more powerful crossbow variant.

- Alcohol Refinery to create fuel/oil from drinks.

- Inventors Workbench allows making copies of foreign items from invaders, traders or moods.

- Crematory burns unwanted items to ash/coke.

- Weaponry allows weapon upgrades.

- Armory allows armor upgrades.

**Humans are good diplomats and traders**, hence:

- Quarry to produce large quantity of blocks for above-ground constructions.

- Brick Oven to make blocks of any color you like.

- Library to train crafting/worker skills.

- Gunsmith to create new powerful ranged weapons.

- Exchange Office / Merchant hall to get the correct type of coins you want.

- Human merchant sells human-civ specific items for gold.

- Dwarf merchant sells human-civ specific items for gold.

- Elf merchant sells human-civ specific items for gold.

- Goblin merchant sells human-civ specific items for gold.

- Kobold merchant sells human-civ specific items for gold.

**Elves love nature so much, so they get stupid grass floors**, hence:

- Healer's Quarters to supply your hospitals with everything they need.

- Archery Range to train ranged combat skills.

- Greater Bowyer to make larger, better bows.

- Rootgrower to create wooden armors and weapons from seeds.

- Treesinger to commune with the spirit of trees, granting grown wood logs.

- Mushroom circle to spawn syndrome-heavy edible plants; granting a range of buffs/nerfs.

- Fountain of eternal youth to avoid old-age death and full-heal units.

- Meditation Circle to train soft skills like situational awareness, leadership, etc.

- Beekeeper's Quarters to farm special types of bees/honey, regardless of starting biome.

- Seedsinger to transmute seeds to different types, giving access to most plants in any biome.

**Goblins are evil and like war**, hence:

- Obsidian Caster, to mass-produce obsidian for constructions.

- Ruby Glass Furnace, a new, blood-red weapon-grade glass.

- Ironmonger, which churns out large sets of crudely made iron armor and weapons.

- Spider' Pit works with silk and possibly silk-worm larvae to farm fancy cloth.

- Metal Siegeworks mass-produces spiky metal siegeammo.

- Brimstone Altar. Lets just say goblins like demons.

- Training Dummies to train weapon/armor skills.

- Training Room to train physical attributes.

- Fighting Pit to train combat skills, like kicking, punching, dodging.

- Bonemonger creates a new "metal", bonemold, for cheap and light armor.

**Kobolds aren't the most developed race**, hence:

- Critter kitchen cooks vermin and vermin remains.

- Trapper uses wood or bone for cheaper, earlier trap components.

- Great Kiln makes batches of earthen/stoneware items, important because Kobolds don't have access to stone.

- Chitin Scrapper makes tanned-skins from chitin, used for armor and items.

- Campfires start fires.

- Scale Cleaner makes tanned-skins from scales, used for armor and items.

- Shell Shaper makes tanned-skins from shells, used for armor and items.

- Bone Scrimmer makes bone weapons and armors.

- Leather Trimmer makes tanned-skins from leather, used for armor and items.

- Poison Vat/Barrel applies poison to weapons and ammo.

**Necromancers are magically gifted individuals that do only good and have nothing evil in mind, whatsoever**, hence:

- Ethereal Portal, creates free furniture and construction materials. No mage should be forced to dig in the earth for stuff like that.

- Etherium Forge, create free armors and weapons, but they disappear after a while, being made of magic.

- Soul Syphon stores souls from slain enemies, which power the Necromancers friendly magic abilities, like friendship.

- Blood Winery/Vineyard uses blood barrels to create blood-wine. 1638 was a good year.

- Bloodsteel Forge creates Ironbone and Bloodsteel bars; alternatives for iron and steel made from voluntarily donated bodyparts.

- Library:Fire, teaches fire-related spells.

- Library:Earth, teaches earth-related spells.

- Library:Air, teaches air-related spells.

- Library:Water, teaches water-related spells.

- Necromantic totem. Doesn't do anything, really. Please ignore it. Certainly has no relation to any secret of life and death, eternal life or peculiar slabs.

I kinda want to make a playable demon, vampires and werebeast civ too, maybe megabeast-related civs or cavern-animal people (think stone-age mod), but all of those have their issues with how the game and the AI works. A water-based civ is impossible for just that reason, the AI dislikes water a lot. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Mod sprites
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:32:30 am »

Very nice.
And just to confirm, none of these are based on your official Steam set, are they? So they'll be available for every version of the game?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:59:13 am »

The are exclusively for the Steam mod, because they use the same art assets. I have to do this, otherwise they would have a different style.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Badmanbacon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 11:23:19 am »

Since maintaining such a huge mod across several tilesets and versions, I decided to trim it down a bit and for now I'll do 10 workshops for each race, with 6 races playable: dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds and necromancers.

Is this including universal workshops? As in the vanilla workshops, or are they scrapped in the mod?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:18:43 pm »

10 new modded workshops per race.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 06:39:48 pm »

The are exclusively for the Steam mod, because they use the same art assets. I have to do this, otherwise they would have a different style.
Oh. A tileset locked in Steam. Hmm.
And how will you share this with the people who legitimately buy the game and therefore own the tileset from Itch? Or, you just won't? Well, that's your choice I guess.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 05:11:00 am »

Itch.io works too.

Not my choice at all, it's all up to Kitfox Games. My choice would be "everything free for everyone".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 01:03:08 am »

Itch.io works too.

Not my choice at all, it's all up to Kitfox Games. My choice would be "everything free for everyone".
Of course, I understand that you can't share an adaptation of a paid tileset on the free boards. That's the same with most games.
Good to know there's a solution for Itch.io. i have no idea, being a Steam user

And so long as you can actually get the tileset to Itch.io customers, you won't find people like the guy over at fotf right now latching onto the idea that the "devs" (yes, I know, you're not, but that won't stop them) are creating a "walled garden" by locking out Itch.io users from the game they paid for (yes, they didn't pay for your mod per se, but, you know how obsessive people can be. And we are talking about DF's most popular mod/tileset).

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 01:58:26 am »

These look good!

I think it might be interesting if magma-powered workshops change sprites based on whether or not there's magma underneath them.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.