Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating controlled chaos dust from duplicated modded RAWs?  (Read 1026 times)

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating controlled chaos dust from duplicated modded RAWs?
« on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:45 pm »

As discussed in previous threads, duplicating your stone layer RAWs causes it to make stone/soil constantly cycle materials, causing random syndromes when it creates cave-in dust. It occurs to me that if you modded in a custom stone/ore type, duplicating that RAW file could potentially cause that specific material to exhibit the same behaviour without causing the world to become uninhabitable. This means you could potentially find pockets of corrupt stone/ore with the bizarre effects mentioned previously.

Has anyone attempted anything something along these lines?
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Creating controlled chaos dust from duplicated modded RAWs?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:32:36 am »

That's not how it works - constantly-cycling materials is what happens when the game is unable to locate a Stone or Soil layer material within a particular region, so it's always an all-or-nothing deal.

Literally, the functions for "get soil layer material" and "get stone layer material" search through the list of layer material for the biome in question and then return "rand(0, num_materials)" if they fail to find a material of the correct type, and that's all there is to it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating controlled chaos dust from duplicated modded RAWs?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:59:35 pm »

Right, and it usually can't find the material due to missing/duplicated RAWs.
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"