Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic and mages in setting style  (Read 1675 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic and mages in setting style
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:05:05 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - not DnD, not might and magic. It is very special setting. And need only special mages. Fierball-shooting and spiritshield-creating wizards from RPG is forbidden.

Druid - magus, who make sapient creatures mindless and mutate them into trees. Needs trees sphere and dream of bringing lasting peace to the world.

Medium - magus, who can summon ghosts of historical figures. Needs sphere of knowledge and dream of seeing the great natural places of the world.

Summoner - summon bogeymans or bogeyman-like imps. Needs sphere of nightmares and dream of ruling the world.

Constructor - not reanimate parts like necromancer, but can grab corpses and parts for construct (using medical skills) from it procedure generated special zombies - Constructs. Needs sphere of blight and dream of creating a great work of art.

Animator - can make elementman from material (make special statue and animate it) and animate furniture. Needs sphere of creation and dream of crafting a masterwork someday.

Alchemist - immortal with only metal tissues and quicksilver blood. Needs sphere of metals and dream of stay alive.

Incubus/Succubus - improved version of night trolls who not married but will breed with sapient creatures. Needs sphere of lust and dream of falling in love.

Vendigo - night creature hunter, eat intelligent creatures and can control weather. Needs sphere of murder and dream of stay alive.

etc.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic and mages in setting style
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:01:36 pm »

It's not a good idea to separate "people who live in a player made Dwarf Fortress" from regular dwarven society. That's not how Mythgen is going to work and the idea that the player is a special case that needs special rules because players operate outside of the carefully simulated societies that the game produces is something which should be minimised as much as possible. Migrants to your fortress will just give up their innate abilities and throw away their magic artifacts? Makes no sense.

You should probably expand, explaining how these suggestions can be used with Mythgen's current development plans? Otherwise it kind of comes across as "abandon everything you have planned and make this game instead"? Which I'm sure isn't your intention.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:03:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:14:52 am »

It's not a good idea to separate "people who live in a player made Dwarf Fortress" from regular dwarven society. That's not how Mythgen is going to work and the idea that the player is a special case that needs special rules because players operate outside of the carefully simulated societies that the game produces is something which should be minimised as much as possible. Migrants to your fortress will just give up their innate abilities and throw away their magic artifacts? Makes no sense.

You should probably expand, explaining how these suggestions can be used with Mythgen's current development plans? Otherwise it kind of comes across as "abandon everything you have planned and make this game instead"? Which I'm sure isn't your intention.
You not understand. Dwarf Fortress is a game with first magus type Necromancer. This is necromancer-like ideas. Artifacts is not mages.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:41 am »

Wouldn't IT make more Sense for the druid to Dreams of seeing the beautiful Nature?

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:38:24 am »

You not understand. Dwarf Fortress is a game with first magus type Necromancer. This is necromancer-like ideas. Artifacts is not mages.
Fix your grammar.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:52 pm »

^Not exactly a constructive or sensitive comment, given that I suspect English isn't DerMeister's first language. They can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:31:45 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 04:08:21 pm »

That's the second time UrsitMcVampire has asked me to fix my grammar. I apologise for not taking more time to construct perfectly written sentences for his pleasure.

(I mean both times I was talking with Dermeister, but I assume his comment was aimed at me and he's not such an asshole that he's offended by "foreign people" fouling his precious forum).

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »

Oh, then I apologize for my misunderstanding. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 08:23:19 am »

"We do not want a crappy fantasy universe. We want a crappy fantasy universe generator." ~~Toady, paraphrased.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 02:44:39 pm »

That's the second time UrsitMcVampire has asked me to fix my grammar. I apologise for not taking more time to construct properly written sentences for his pleasure.

(I mean both times I was talking with Dermeister, but I assume his comment was aimed at me and he's not such an asshole that he's offended by "foreign people" fouling his precious forum).

I fixed it for you.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race