Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fantasy General II.  (Read 3177 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:31:21 am by gimli »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy General II.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:47:00 am »

Looks interesting, but also nothing like the original Fantasy General. It looks a lot more like a lot of the mobile strategy games on the apple store, with a much more limited selection of unit types.

It looks like air units aren't present at all, for example.

Either way, it's in Alpha now, so we'll have to see what its like when it comes out. I'm not holding out much hope that it'll be anything like the original experience.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:11:20 am »

Yep. I think that this game should be 2d, but I can live with the 3d engine as well. The gfx looks quite good. I applied for beta testing. Btw -according to a forum post- the game will ship with the map editor, but they will release the campaign editor + modding tools after the game is released.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 07:24:49 am »

Looks interesting, but also nothing like the original Fantasy General. It looks a lot more like a lot of the mobile strategy games on the apple store, with a much more limited selection of unit types.

Unfortunately, that was exactly my first thought. I'm hoping it's just in terms of graphics.

I loved the first one, but on replaying it it feels a bit dull. A lot of the stuff that was revolutionary then is now just standard 4x stuff.

My hope with it was that it'd be like a really tactical Fantasy game - think Wargame: Red Dragon but for fantasy - we'll see how tactical it gets in videos soon I'm guessing.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:54:51 am »

Yeah, got a huge amount of playtime out of the original back when it was new. Would like to have seen it keep the old 2d on hexes look, personally, but I guess we'll see how the 3d plays out.

I'll hold my breath on this being worthwhile, but if they can pull it off I'll happily pick it up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 01:25:11 pm »

Yeah, got a huge amount of playtime out of the original back when it was new. Would like to have seen it keep the old 2d on hexes look, personally, but I guess we'll see how the 3d plays out.

I'll hold my breath on this being worthwhile, but if they can pull it off I'll happily pick it up.

Agreed. The screenshots don't show off a great deal, but from what they do show it looks very similar to a lot of 4x tactical bits (endless legend as a prime example). My only hope is that they've either got a lot of mechanics to differentiate it and make it more 'general-y' rather than just 4x civ style fighting.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 01:45:57 pm »

I loved Fantasy General as a kid, both for the soundtrack and the content. Those are pretty big boots to fill.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 01:49:14 pm »

It sort of looks to me like there are hexes, they're just hidden.  Maybe just me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 03:05:23 pm »

... didn't we already have fantasy wars and it's sequel as more-or-less this?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 03:09:16 pm »

... didn't we already have fantasy wars and it's sequel as more-or-less this?

We did. Never tried the sequel, but the first Fantasy Wars never quite did it for me. Something about it just didn't hit the right notes for some reason.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 04:11:34 pm »

I wonder if the gameplay is still following the gameplay system from the 5stars general serie (Panzer General, People General etc...) or if it has nothing to do with it and that's just a sequel of Fantasy General only by name.

Tohveli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 02:23:29 am »

I was excited at first but then I found out that many of the developers used to work at Cliffhanger on real classics such as Jagged Alliance Online and Shadowrun Online

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 06:56:58 am »

Ooh. Name cash-in that shits on said name incoming? Say it ain't entirely predictable so. Maybe we'll get mobile style monetization! Who's excited by the thought of gacha in your fantasy general sequel? no one except the publishers, that's who
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 08:03:44 am »

I was excited at first but then I found out that many of the developers used to work at Cliffhanger on real classics such as Jagged Alliance Online and Shadowrun Online

Source? That is not reassuring if it is true.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 07:56:16 am »

Gameplay footage. [Home of Wargamers Live - Ep. 2]

https://youtu.be/LZAvUYjmSAk?t=2228
Pages: [1] 2