Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback on Current Human Fortress/MDF in general  (Read 1755 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feedback on Current Human Fortress/MDF in general
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:23:59 pm »

She needs a touch-up badly. I've played the heck out of them these last few months and am going to leave the things I think stand out the most below. Note that I have fixed some of these things myself in my personal files of the game.

-The mayor DOES NOT work properly. They do not console citizens unless you go into the entity RAW's yourself and give them that responsibility. I did this by examining the dwarven RAW's and copying over the relevant code line.
-Vanilla display furniture is not enabled for humans. You can correct this yourself by adding the appropriate code lines to the carpentry workshop (IIRC), again from the dwarves.
-The launcher's armory pack buttons do not enable their goodies for humans, seemingly only Dwarves. You can enable all or some of them yourself by editing the RAW files (this is what I did, and I pick and choose weapons/armor to use for myself).
-If you enable atlatl's/amenta you will need to enable MDF's javelins because that is the ammo they use.
-Can Wield checks for 2-handed weapons are still weird from vanilla. I honestly cannot remember what I by-hand changed them from, but players ought to carefully look at the RAW's of 2-handers they want to use in fort mode
-If you attempt to build a 'proper' surface castle/town, the current stress system will **** all over you unless your biome has nearly no weather at all. Citizens will inevitably be driven to insanty/tantrum spiraling by rain, let alone worse weather. This is further compounded by the amount of work that creating surface constructions requires. I.e. it's a mini-megaproject to get a legendary surface tavern/temple/other stress reliever. You can go an extreme route like I've done and just add [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0] to humans to get rid of this issue completely or come up with your own plan to ameliorate it.
-Animals added from the greater mod pack cannot be gelded. Including the DDD animals. I believe it's because they were carried over from before gelding was a thing and haven't been updated. It would be tedious but this can easily be corrected yourself. I will attest from the experience of farming snow leopards that it's extremely annoying however.
-Smilodons graze ????????????????????????????????
-As in vanilla, no one tries to setup trade agreements with you but your home civ. This is lame. It can be made awesome by adding the [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] tag to the entity's diplomat entry. Note that if you do this for your own civ you will get both a diplomat and the regular liason wanting to make separate, presumably buggy agreements with you.

On the plus side,
-The merchant/guild system is amazing. You can have some great fun buying and selling, and building big surface industrial buildings with the guild extensions.
-Building surface constructions in general is great fun. The satisfaction that comes form building your whole town out of blocks that you mined then processed, or burned in the brick furnace, is so much greater than just digging them out.
-Muskets are stupid powerful. Even wooden bullets have been observed dealing blunt damage through bronze plate.
-With a water source on the surface, even an ocean, you can build elaborate aqueducts that provide wells or other water sources all over your walled area to ensure a drink is close at hand always. For example my fort has 6 big wells scattered equidistant, and the tavern has water all underneath it with floor grates dotting it outside the dance floor to let guests drink at will.

One other note that I have no clue how to fix is that citizens often have nonsensical preferences, such as liking camel chitin (?), Crab leather (???) or Goblin shell (?????).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:51:15 pm by JAK »

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on Current Human Fortress/MDF in general
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:16:34 pm »

One other note that I have no clue how to fix is that citizens often have nonsensical preferences, such as liking camel chitin (?), Crab leather (???) or Goblin shell (?????).
That would be caused by the body detail plans that those creatures use including a bunch of unneeded materials. You would fix it by removing those materials manually for each creature, or by removing those materials from the appropriate body detail plan and instead adding them to each creature manually. Vanilla DF does a mix of both - the base body detail plan assumes a haired mammal, anything else gets mats added/removed as appropriate.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on Current Human Fortress/MDF in general
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:39 am »

Been playing some humans, inverse cave adaption is a bit of a bummer with the work that needs to be put in since there aren't many ways to effectively clear plants beside dirt plants without flooring over everything but after a few seasons i have rain covering and a still sane farming community. Building is easily DF's weakest aspect you'll be doing the most of as i've had not time to forge metal yet, just subsistance farm without touching merchants.

Human tips
- Settle somewhere high elevation for quick access to windmills (you'll be building topside so very little power needed if you put a windmill on a roof) and millstone. Though that's a general DF tip.

- 10x10 channeled pits going inward to go to stone without staircases are faster, a 11x10 pit with a staircase can have a surface layer tavern/public praying area + enough room per lit layer beneath it for 12 1x3 individual rooms if you apply blocks all the way down to stone depending on how much soil/stone you need or want to get through. (you could dedicate a entire layer to a dorm also)

- Profession nickname your guild members to keep track of who they are (a general masterwork tip since there are lots of castes like this, orcs similarly need to be tracked to know your uruks from your ologs for different roles and sizings) and inspect their description when they migrate.

Only criticism of what the mod creator can change is that human nobles are extremely cluttered (i've had to raw dive to actually find out what they do) and some reactions could have text with category descriptions. I play without the auxillary weapon stuff. Seeing so many DDD animals and sometimes misc things like drakes (not ducks, dragons apparently) comes across a little silly, animals could be restricted with the new [ANIMAL] entity arguements instead of [COMMON_DOMESTIC] so that humans have to cage, merchant trade, or spend gold at vendors for random tame DDD.

Mastiffs from a animal trainer guild rather than the farmers as a suggestion? Animal trainer guild might make the previous comment about paying for DDD and other animals substantial if you could pay for a wide range of random but tamed exotics as a greater pet merchant. Sell gnomish net guns maybe at the end of the guild tech tree.

• Dog kennel could be replaced with a greater poultry coop for turkeys etc as they are shockingly not on the local pet merchant list.