Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifyingly Fun!  (Read 1728 times)

Emerald-Ignis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifyingly Fun!
« on: April 12, 2019, 05:26:24 am »

So i'm a bit of a newb right now, having only just managed to get the hang of the game enough to actually have some fun. so I thought it would be a great idea to have some fun and play with a terrifying surroundings embark. From lurking on other pages of the forum i've already gathred never go outside,ever, aswell as try to avoid having openings into the cavern layers. I also decided to embark on a 4x4 with with some of the tiles containing an aquifer(for farming and water) aswell as emarked with maces,as i heard their quite usefull against undead. I was wondering if anyone has any tips in order to manage making a fort that might actually,maybe,last a few years.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:41:30 am by Emerald-Ignis »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifyingly Fun!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 06:21:44 am »

If you haven’t read about it yet, you can use shallow pools (3/7 water) and/or falling water on your entrances to wash any dwarf that comes from outside and was caught in evil weather.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Emerald-Ignis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:38:58 am »

Thanks! ill do that once i set up a basic farm and workshop area.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:03 am »

Evil biomes come in many flavors. Is yours reanimating? Husking? Does the rain put out dwarves' eyes? What's Terrifying about the place?

If the place is reanimating: Get inside fast as possible, and don't come out again until you've got a militia that can handle the wild-"life". Dump any corpses into atom-smashers, magma, or even just a deep pit as fast as you possibly can. Failure to do so will likely result in zombie apocalypse, depending on the corpse in question. Try not to kill the living more than you have to-- any living creature you kill, will likely have to be killed again.

If the place has evil weather of some form: The wiki explains this better than I ever could. Main thing to remember: Get inside fast as possible. Come out rarely-- if at all-- and prepare any outdoor fortifications with care.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Emerald-Ignis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:48 am »

so far im dumping all the corpses in hastily made small rooms that i then seal up,which begs the question, can undead break the terrain?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:15:49 am by Emerald-Ignis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 08:18:57 am »

Well, that should be fine for now. If I recall, undead retain whatever building-destroying capabilities they had in life-- so a dwarf is safely contained by a door, but a troll would require something sturdier.

By the by, this thread's probably better off moved to "Dwarf Mode Discussion", seeing as it's about fortress mode. You oughta get more responses there, too.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:17 am »

(ninja'd by superdorf)

No one but the player can break the terrain itself. Some creatures* can break through doors, veritcal/horizontal bars, hatches**.

*Usual creatures are forgotten beasts, trolls, giant cave spider,werebeasts. Their undead counterparts retain that ability as well.
** Hatches can't be broken from the level below them.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Emerald-Ignis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:32 am »

thanks for all the help. thanks for the suggestion to post in dwarf mode discussion aswell. ill go there now. thanks!